Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, some of you may or may not know, but I'm a bit of a workout junkie. I'm in the gym six or seven days a week (Sundays sometimes get to be a complete day off) and I lift four or five of those days depending on what my goals are for the current cycle.

One thing I've never gotten into control is my diet. I don't eat horrible, and in fact I recent gave up all soda pop, juices, and non-water drinks with the exception of protein shakes. As a result, I've always carried around a couple extra percentage points of body fat which I'd like to get rid of and get down to the 6-7% range.

I know P90X comes with a complete work out program that seems to focus a lot on cross training and "cutting" which I'll need to do after I finish this twelve week bulking trainer I'm on. Plus, they have a pretty well laid out diet plan.

Does anyone have any experience with this one? Did you like the results? Alternatively, anyone wanna set up a date and keep one another on pace?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It works if you can stick with it and abide by all the constraints the program puts on you. I'm doing the Insanity workout right now because I'm relatively poor and can't afford all the equipment, i.e., weights, pull up bars, that P90X requires. Insanity is more cardio-based fat burning/toning than bulk building whereas P90X will build slightly more muscle. As I shed fat, I'll be adding in more weight training since you can burn exponentially more and more fat, the more muscle you build, but I've reached a point where for health reasons, I have to shed a ton of fat before I can bulk up heavily or do high-impact stuff.

The nutrition programs are extremely important, but the one thing that puts me off is that each program has partnered with the manufacturers of some pricey protein shake supplement and pushes it in the nutrition guides. Often, a month's supply of the protein powder costs over $100. When the infomercials stress how relatively affordable their programs are, they fail to mention all of the costs of the ancillary materials such as protein powders or equipment.

Regarding pacing with others, as much as I'd love the motivation, I already have plenty and quite honestly, I won't be keeping the intended pace for health reasons. I'm literally so out of shape, intense exercise can actually be bad for me in the short term, even if in the long term it's necessary. I have to ease myself into things first just to get used to exercise lest I give myself a coronary.

I'm making a entire lifestyle change by bettering my nutrition, increasing exercise as well as quitting smoking (again). I'm 38, 5'10" and weigh about 300 pounds. I'm pre-diabetic and have had my gall bladder removed so my digestive system is all out of whack. I suffer from GERD/Acid Reflux to the point that I have Barrett's esophagus, a precancerous state caused by acidic erosion of my esophageal sphincter. In addition to the nutritional standards set forth by these programs, I am on a strict low-fat, low-acid, high-fiber diet.

These are some drastic, but necessary changes. I'm suffering from years of apathy and self-neglect and am now afraid of dying sooner than I should. It is unacceptable for me to leave my loved ones grieving due to something that I, and only I, can and should prevent.

Don't wish me luck. Luck won't change things. Pray for me to maintain the newfound willpower to stay the course and not give up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's awesome that you're exercising. If you do wanna do protein powders, a lot are more or less the same. Some have higher protein content and the designer ones might digest faster, but I've never noticed a difference in my whey powder I've bought at Ralph's and the stuff I've bought from Vitamin Shop and Bodybuilding.com. So if you wanna buy the stuff, you can get it for cheap elsewhere. That's probably what I'll do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meredyth
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did p90X last summer. I did not use any of the supplements, because, let's be real, they are outrageous and you buy decent supplements anywhere.

I didn't love that you couldn't do all of the workout without the equipment. I had weights, but I couldn't put a chin up bar up, so I felt like I missed some arm, chest, and back work. However, there are plenty of alternative exercises.

Also, it takes longer than an hour a day (if you add in the additional abs and the yoga). Many great workouts take a lot less time, so I didn't love how much time it took up.

That being said, it was a pretty tough workout and I like that it was a combo of strength, cardio, and flexibility.

If you have a chin up bar, bands, and weights, then it is a decent home-workout. If you already go to the gym, just add some plio or yoga - you don't need p90X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.