United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Romney distances himself from the Ryan budget...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/11/mitt-romney-paul-ry...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why pick him if you gona just say you don't like his ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Diversity, to help excite voters who might not be excited by Romney.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Except that if Romney does not like his ideas they will not be acted upon surley? This just seems to be an example of trying to appeal to voters you have no intention of listening too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Except that if Romney does not like his ideas they will not be acted upon surley? This just seems to be an example of trying to appeal to voters you have no intention of listening too.

i.e. a normal politician.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

i.e. a normal politician.

Prety much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Wow.

Romney elects a very conservative VP pick, with better conservative bona fides in order to assure the Right wing of the party that he's 'one of them', but on the KEY thing that his pick stands for, he backs off.

I rest my case-
They ARE insane. This transcends mere political stupidity, or terrible messaging.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I don't understand what you Libs are foaming at the mouth over. It's Romney that is running for Prez, not Ryan. At least when I criticize shit-for-brains Obama it's for his documented record of failure in leading the nation - not some bogus "he picked a guy and then didn't give him a reach around" partisan hackery.

This place is weird. Even Jarred is posting images of some indecipherable online CCG and demanding we validate his skills. Hah! He needs to stick to "your mom". And Ryan is a fine pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No one's frothing. It's just that some political figures are known for one or two fairly specific things. To pick such a figure as VP and then simultaneously indicate that you don't agree on those key things raises the obvious question of why you picked him.

If Romney had chosen Ron Paul and then immediately put out talking points that he thinks the Fed is doing a great job and he still planned to increase military spending it would raise the obvious question, "Why did you pick Paul then?" If he'd picked Jarred and then said that he thinks sex with Moms should be off limits, same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
No one's frothing. It's just that some political figures are known for one or two fairly specific things. To pick such a figure as VP and then simultaneously indicate that you don't agree on those key things raises the obvious question of why you picked him.

If Romney had chosen Ron Paul and then immediately put out talking points that he thinks the Fed is doing a great job and he still planned to increase military spending it would raise the obvious question, "Why did you pick Paul then?" If he'd picked Jarred and then said that he thinks sex with Moms should be off limits, same thing.

This is RSP-Speak. You prefer to view Ryan in the context of only one or two things. That doesn't make your view "true", but I guess it does make it "true for you". I've hired people in the past who actually didn't think like me and believe it or not, it was a good experience for me and them. If Obama can "evolve" on the gay marriage issue then I assume anyone can evolve on any issue. He doesn't own the copyright on change you know.

Nonetheless, I'm enjoying the frothing both here and in the media about what a horrible person Ryan is as a pick, how awful Romney is for not being exactly like he was 30 years ago and why when Obama does the same type of things he's considered to be a thoughtful and reasoned politician.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NOT LETTING JARRED SLEEP WITH MOMS!?!? HOW DARE HE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
You prefer to view Ryan in the context of only one or two things.

I don't think it has anything to do with preference. It has to do with what Ryan is known for. No one is saying that he isn't also a very smart guy, a good speaker, etc. In fact, most of the articles I've read (including those critical of the pick) highlight a number of those strengths. It's just hard to get away from the fact that the main reason he's a rising star in the GOP is because of things like "the Ryan buget".

As for the rest of the rant, we've covered that. You saying that Romney is criticized for "not being exactly like he was 30 years ago" is distorted even by your standards, but other than that I don't see anything new here. Glad you're enjoying things, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, my mom says you haven't called her in a while, Jarred. She's getting worried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

This is RSP-Speak. You prefer to view Ryan in the context of only one or two things. That doesn't make your view "true", but I guess it does make it "true for you". I've hired people in the past who actually didn't think like me and believe it or not, it was a good experience for me and them. If Obama can "evolve" on the gay marriage issue then I assume anyone can evolve on any issue. He doesn't own the copyright on change you know.

Nonetheless, I'm enjoying the frothing both here and in the media about what a horrible person Ryan is as a pick, how awful Romney is for not being exactly like he was 30 years ago and why when Obama does the same type of things he's considered to be a thoughtful and reasoned politician.

I think you will find that some of us have just another politician like all of the others, why do you feel this sort of two-faced deceit is acceptable when the Republicans do it? Don't you think politics would be better of candidates stood for what they believed in, rather then what they think will get them votes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:

That's Communism or somethin'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

That's Communism or somethin'

Certainly the most unamerican thing I've heard all week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

I think you will find that some of us have just another politician like all of the others, why do you feel this sort of two-faced deceit is acceptable when the Republicans do it? Don't you think politics would be better of candidates stood for what they believed in, rather then what they think will get them votes?

Steven, the only reason I'm responding to this post is that there are no spelling errors. Plus, it's a reasonable post, sort of, if you just overlook the fact that the first sentence makes no sense at all.

Unlike most here in RSP, I'm not a complete, hopeless cynic. I do think that Obama is being true to his ideology and his abject and pathetic failure is a result of his utter lack of qualifying life experience coupled with the sad reality that he is bereft of any leadership skills whatsoever. So even though many are cynical about Obama, I am more fearful of his awesome destructive capability due to a perverse ideology being tied to a man with, at best, totally random and thoughtless methodology and executive skills.

I am not cynical about Romney or Ryan either. They, like Obama, are no more caricatures of political life than you or Chad are caricatures of weird Brits and snooty New Englanders. You guys are for real and you have actual, beliefs. So do Obama, Romney and Ryan. Articles like the one in the OP are the work of cynics and people with no values themselves. Having no values, no foundation for rational and reasoned thinking leads writers and pundits to view others only in the context of who they themselves are - so they can't believe an Obama or a Romney or Ryan might actually believe what they say. They can't believe it because in their world they personally have no values so they can only see that in others.

At the core, for me anyway, I believe Obama is committed to what he views as valuable and important and I also believe he shrouds it and hides it because somewhere in there he's embarrassed and feels the guilt of anyone who realizes they lack compassion. Same goes for Romney, he is a conservative and he hasn't yet evolved to the point where he understands it's nothing to be ashamed of. So Romney and Obama are alike and Ryan is, out of the three of them, the guy with the most personal integrity. He is strong and unapologetic. Like it or not.

You'll notice I didn't mention Joe Biden. Tits on a boar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Steven, the only reason I'm responding to this post is that there are no spelling errors. Plus, it's a reasonable post, sort of, if you just overlook the fact that the first sentence makes no sense at all.

Unlike most here in RSP, I'm not a complete, hopeless cynic. I do think that Obama is being true to his ideology and his abject and pathetic failure is a result of his utter lack of qualifying life experience coupled with the sad reality that he is bereft of any leadership skills whatsoever. So even though many are cynical about Obama, I am more fearful of his awesome destructive capability due to a perverse ideology being tied to a man with, at best, totally random and thoughtless methodology and executive skills.

I am not cynical about Romney or Ryan either. They, like Obama, are no more caricatures of political life than you or Chad are caricatures of weird Brits and snooty New Englanders. You guys are for real and you have actual, beliefs. So do Obama, Romney and Ryan. Articles like the one in the OP are the work of cynics and people with no values themselves. Having no values, no foundation for rational and reasoned thinking leads writers and pundits to view others only in the context of who they themselves are - so they can't believe an Obama or a Romney or Ryan might actually believe what they say. They can't believe it because in their world they personally have no values so they can only see that in others.

At the core, for me anyway, I believe Obama is committed to what he views as valuable and important and I also believe he shrouds it and hides it because somewhere in there he's embarrassed and feels the guilt of anyone who realizes they lack compassion. Same goes for Romney, he is a conservative and he hasn't yet evolved to the point where he understands it's nothing to be ashamed of. So Romney and Obama are alike and Ryan is, out of the three of them, the guy with the most personal integrity. He is strong and unapologetic. Like it or not.

You'll notice I didn't mention Joe Biden. Tits on a boar.

Sorry but when someone picks as a running mate someone who is at such variance with their own views I find it hard not to be cynical. It smacks of trying to get the hard core conservatives on his side by whispering “see I am one of you, but shh don’t let the other voter know” whilst shouting to the other voters “see I am not one of those hard core conservatives, I want what you want”. Personally I hold our (British) politicians in high contempt for that very reason, saying one thing whilst believing another, and I see the same in yours. And this situation is just a variant on that theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about what type of people weren't going to vote for Romney, but now will because Ryan is his VP choice. Who are these people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
I'm curious about what type of people weren't going to vote for Romney, but now will because Ryan is his VP choice. Who are these people?

Part of getting votes is persuading people that the answer to, "Who of the following candidates would you most like to be President?" is you. Another part is getting people with that answer to come out and vote on election day. (Another is getting those with the "wrong" answer to stay home.)

I don't think Ryan was picked because he'll cause people outside of Wisconsin to change their answer from Obama to Romney but I'm sure he'll increase turnout of conservatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
DWTripp wrote:
[q="

Its not what a person believes in that matters. Its how they come to their positions that matter.

I don't think that Romney is a particularly intellectually honest person. I think that Obama over intellectualizes his thoughts- which has its own problems- but its better than being so 'pragmatic' that standards of intellectual integrity go out the window.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
[q="

Its not what a person believes in that matters. Its how they come to their positions that matter.

I don't think that Romney is a particularly intellectually honest person. I think that Obama over intellectualizes his thoughts- which has its own problems- but its better than being so 'pragmatic' that standards of intellectual integrity go out the window.

Darilian

How so? Because Romney evolved his thinking? How is trying something as an executive (governor) and then later verbalizing that he wouldn't do it that way again dishonest? Is Obama's change-up on gay marriage intellectually dishonest or just a case of over-thinking something?

Here's what I thought in 2008 and what I think today - Romney has pretty much everything that any of us would consider valuable in his personal life. Great family, good woman, wealth, success, respect, etc. He arrived at the completion of achieving for himself and his family years ago. Now what? More public office runs? Why not the presidency? In my view he has nothing to gain personally by winning the presidency. So there has to be a core belief that he can be of service. Sure, there's ego in that as well, but really no more ego than you or anyone here exhibits by declaring him intellectually dishonest or vapid and unthinking or indifferent, etc.

I see many similar motivations in Obama, or really in anyone vying for the top job. Mostly they have achieved (in their perspective) all or most that they wanted, usually at an appropriate age to be considered seasoned - except in Obama's case, that is. Why not just remove all the meaningless platitudes and hyperbole from evaluating these guys and look at them for what they represent? If you want more of what Obama has delivered, then vote for him... and God help us all. If you prefer the Romney perspective then vote for him. And I see Ryan as bolstering Romney's base, not as some disingenuous and cynical choice made solely for political perception. If that's what he wanted there were several far better choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:

Bow hunters in Wisconsin who think Romney is just one assassination attempt away from making Ryan the president.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
I don't mind people changing their mind, as new evidence comes up and they decide to adapt their world view to new data.

However, with Romney, its awfully hard to not notice that his major changes of heart have all been really freakin convenient in their timing. Gingrich's health care plan is popular in the 1990's, so Romney pushes it for Massachusetts. More voters (especially women) are moving towards a 'pro choice' position, so Romney starts talking about how he is pro choice.

Then, he runs for President, and is ambushed by Santorum, Caine, and Bachmann as not being a 'Real Conservative'- and THEN, he starts to change. Really? He couldn't have started to change his mind on RomneyCare back in 2008? He runs for office in MA as 'Pro Choice', but once IN office (and looking towards a Presidential race in 2008), he moves towards being 'Pro Life'- albeit in a terribly inconsistent manner.

On almost every major issue, Romney not only 'changes his mind', but does so with uncannily convenient timing- ie, when he's changing who he's giving his pitch to.

I don't think that he really cares that deeply about ANY of that. I think he cares about his Faith, his Family, his job, and doing the job well. But I also think that when it comes to getting elected, he's willing to 'tell the people what they want to hear'- and comes up with terribly intellectually lazy and inconsistent arguments to justify that.

I have no problem with changing one's mind. But at least, give me a REASON- some kind of justification. But his argument that RomneyCare is fine and ObamaCare is evil, because State's should be free to implement programs that they want, is just utterly disingenuous.

Quote:
"My own preference is to let each state fashion its own program to meet the distinct needs of its citizens. States could follow the Massachusetts model if they choose, or they could develop plans of their own. These plans, tested in the state 'laboratories of democracy,' could be evaluated, compared, improved upon, and adopted by others."

-Mitt Romney, No Apology

So then, Mr. Romney- are we going to implement this for every program? Cut Medicaire and Medicaid and just let the states do it? What about roads? What makes ObamaCare so 'bad' and many other popular (but equally intrusive) programs acceptable, like the Patriot Act, Social Security, the EPA? Or is Mr. Romney just throwing this out as 'red meat' to the more libertarian wing of the GOP? Or what?

Taking such a strong 'State's Rights' position on Federal Programs without discussing why some, and not others, is just disingenuous.

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:

Obama on the other hand, I don't think his problem is that he over-intellectualizes anything. He fails at introducing legislative changes simply because the legislative branch is not held by Democrats and the two parties have lost the ability to cooperate and compromise. In contrast, Obama's handling of foreign policy is quite efficient, although I don't agree with the American foreign policy he's been putting forth.

Actually, for the bulk of his presidency his party held the legislative branch. That gave them two out of the three branches. And he couldn't even get a budget through the senate and congress held by his own party. Please, if you're going to dabble in American politics at least get the particulars right.

Obama will be the only president of the United States of America who failed to get a budget passed during his term. That says a lot more about his grasp (or lack of grasp) of reality and what actually binds his constituency to him than know-it-all crapola about intellectual dishonesty and other boring and wholly incorrect RSP pronouncements.

If you own the government and you fail to get a budget through the government you "own", then you are a failure. This guy wouldn't last through a single shareholder meeting in the real world. He'd be bounced out on his ass posthaste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.