Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today, I floated the Salt River (NE of Phoenix) with my wife and 3 of my children. As we were coming to the end of our float, we saw several men in sheriff's uniforms and a crowd of people on the left bank of the river. As we got closer, we could see that they were performing chest compressions. As we floated past the scene, I noticed a man with no signs of life laying right next to the river. His heels (one foot had a shoe on it, the other did not) were right next to the water. It didn't look good....and later we learned that the man didn't make it:

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_southeast_valley/mesa/m...

Then, as we got out of the river, we saw a man so drunk that he couldn't stand up. We hiked up the hill, and as we were removing the air from our tubes, we saw the paramedics go down the the river bank and bring the drunk man up on a stretcher and load him into an ambulance.

Strange (and tragic) day on the river. It reminded us that our lives can end at any time.

It makes you grateful for you life and your health to see a lifeless figure laying on the river bank not responding to chest compressions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your kids handle it ok? Sometimes kids reactions to these situations can be a bit unexpected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My youngest daughter is 11 years old, and she sobs if a gold fish dies. But because of the stark reality of the situation (and the fact that she wasn't connected to the situation personally)...she took it better than I would have expected. I plan to talk to her about it tomorrow to make sure she has some perspective on the situation.

I think it was actually good to see the guy so drunk at the end of the float, because I made the point that if that drunk guy were to fall in the river he would drown as well 9if noone was there to pull him out). It was a good lesson about the dangers of drinking to excess for my kids.

I don't know if the guy who drowned was drunk, but if I had to guess....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Meister
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw (what was left of) a dead man on the freeway when I was in LA several months ago. I'm guessing he was ran over because his legs were gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far (at age 25) I've managed to avoid seeing dead people...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vidbot wrote:
I saw (what was left of) a dead man on the freeway when I was in LA several months ago. I'm guessing he was ran over because his legs were gone.
Why would someone run over people because they have no legs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
vidbot wrote:
Kempeth wrote:
Why would someone run over people because they have no legs?
"duh!" Since they're worth more VPs in that: Death Race 2010 'Dogs' with just 3-legs were worth the MOST! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope you are all coping ok.

FWIW people don't really respond to chest compressions. CC's just keep what oxygen there is going around the body, until more advanced medical care can arrive, only in Baywatch do people leap up from CPR. From your description it sounds like there were two casualties, one being worked on and the other just lying there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brichs wrote:
So far (at age 25) I've managed to avoid seeing dead people...

Thankfully at 37, I have done the same.

I have only been to one funeral in my life (for a friend of a friend). They had an open casket for a viewing, and myself and my friend's girlfriend couldn't even walk into the room. So we sat outside and chatted

It was very surreal. I honestly didn't think I would have any issue with seeing her in the coffin. But once I got to the room, I just stopped by the doorway, and just couldn't put myself into that room. Seeing her, and being with the family (most of which I didn't know). All crying and upset. I felt like I was stepping into a very personal family matter.

The worst part was seeing my friend's dad, a very well to do man who was pretty high in his company. Has a deep voice that you knew when he asked for things at work, people jumped. To see him sobbing uncontrollably was extremely strange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I had to respond to a call for a man jumping off the 8th floor of a housing complex while and EMT in the Navy. Had to go to PTSD counseling afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Sytsma
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a reserve firefighter I have only seen 2 fatalities. One a murder victim, the other burned to death upside down in his car that had crashed into a vacant house.

I never enjoy doing a primary search knowing that I might find another victim. But on the other hand knowing that I might find someone, and be able to save them, helps me push forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One summer in the late 80's I was on the Maricopa County Dive Posse. We had a couple of dives in the Salt River, one in Saguaro Lake and one in Canyon Lake.

Luckily I was never the one to discover the body.

However, I have seen my fair share of dead bodies, unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
I had to respond to a call for a man jumping off the 8th floor of a housing complex while and EMT in the Navy. Had to go to PTSD counseling afterwards.

After nearly 20 years at my job, a large chunk of that spent with companies doing coroner removals, I don't thing I've heard anyone mention PTSD counseling once. (an observance, not a brag)

The funeral industry here has always had a "if you can't cope, leave" sort of attitude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only seen one dead person that I had any connection to, and it was such a surreal, disorienting experience. Hopefully I won't have to do that ever again.

Oh, and The Bodies exhibits, but I don't think those really count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.