Daniel Munson
United States
Rushford
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Let's PLAY!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a copy of this game on a BGG sale. It looked interesting and I'm always looking for good two person games. The copy we got from
stephen wilcox
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
Great artists steal
mbmbmbmbmb
was in pristine condition and complete with some downloaded add-ons.

It took an hour for us just to read through the rules since neither of us had played the game before, but the rules book is very well written and we never felt confused or lost -- very unlike another game we had played earlier in the day.

We chose our sides randomly, as we had no idea of what advantages or disadvantages either side might have. I played the British and the wife played the French.

We started slow and I, having the advantage of more start-up money, decided to buy some of the shared Native American cards; more so that my wife wouldn't get them than out of any foreseeable use for them. I also went out and began settling territories first. My second territory settled was Halifax, right in the middle of some French controlled spaces. Two turns later, she decides we should have our first siege and besieges Halifax. I lose it quickly.

I settled Kennebec, which put me in a good place, close to Quebec, but I found that the Kennebec card has NO use. It can not connect to any other city and provides no resources. We're still not quite sure what value it holds in the game.

However, there was one value for me in that the wife was not able to fortify Quebec and I launched a raiding party against the city. Unfortunately for me, she was able to stop the raid. A turn or two later, and I launched another raiding party, which she also managed to block. This would be one of the more frustrating course throughout the game for me. I would launch a raid and she would have cards in hand to counter. However, I believe that the raids would ultimately lead to the win.

It took us awhile to remember all the different things we could do on our turns (even with the handy cheat-sheet) and finally, when trying to decide what to do for my actions, I remembered the ability to place cards in reserve and so began stocking up some military strength. Of course my French opponent did likewise.

My wife took the next attack and besieged Albany, which she ultimately won.

I found that I was able to turn in city cards to get coin, but my wife got coin by selling beaver pelts and pirating from me.

It was a real back and forth like this for quite some time (we played for FOUR HOURS and read the rules for an additional hour before that!!). I feel that the turning point is fairly easy to point to. I think it happened when I played a card that allowed me to steal a Native American card from my wife's hand. This move allowed:

A: I could now play my raiding party and she could not block it.
B: It depleted her collection of raiding/blocking
C: It added to my ability to perform raids.

The raiding parties soon became my friends and I was able to remove many settlements because of it.

At one point, my wife noticed that I had only three settlements left to place and she only had one. If she settled a territory with that last piece and there was no siege in place, the game would be over. In order to draw out the game and to try to add points, she reviewed the rules and remembered that she could (and should) be up grading her settlements in to cities.

After over-coming (for the time-being) the rule of placement for ending the game, my wife then caught on that I was one settlement away from having twelve points and so she began a siege just in order to buy herself some time. If I had been playing smart, I would have let her win (though she was crafty and managed to keep the siege in the neutral area). And while we were working on the siege, she was building up many of her settlements in to cities. This was something neither of us had remembered to do. I started to do likewise.

I now had fourteen points from her raided settlements, and at the start of my turn, I saw that I had won the siege. We decided, however, after reviewing the rules, that since I started my turn with the siege just finishing, it meant that I could not say that at the start of my turn there was no siege, thus ending the game. I was sure that my French opponent would start another siege, but it was not to be. We both played rather innocuous hands and I managed to end the game at the start of my next turn.

While I had been confident just a few rounds earlier, that I could make an easy win, I was less sure of myself at this time. My wife had managed to upgrade many settlements to cities during her last few turns. However, we did close out the game with my 63 points to her 51.

We both really liked this game and will definitely play it again. We've promised to take on the opposite side next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
surmik
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4h... nice
My first game was something about 2,5h and now I play 45-60 minutes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
You take Kennebec to deny your opponent points.

As you'll discover the game goes very quickly if you concentrate on ending the game as quickly as possible, either through settling or military. Those are the two main strategies, and any deviation from those are what yield 4+ hour sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kennebec is also a nice staging area for a raid on an unfortified Quebec.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
Kennebec is also a nice staging area for a raid on an unfortified Quebec.

Or on Trois Rivieres, particularly under the second edition rules.

As for Kennebec's card, it can block a raid on this village. But if you build a fort there or if your deck is full of raid blockers, then this card is a very good candidate to being governored away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice AAR, Daniel.

And is that an Olympia SM3 in your avatar? I can't tell from the glare of the light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Povis
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had just sat down to a late night bowl of cereal, went to the Geek to see what was new, and proceeded to laugh so spontaneously when reading your thread title that I spewed milk all over my computer screen. Well worth the cleanup. Nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.