Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you an egotist? That's a trick question. Of course you are. We were all born to look out for number one. It's only natural that we think everything that we experience is bigger, better, and more important than what we didn't experience. But when you reason, do you get beyond this, or do you think like an egotist?

If you think you are God's favorite person, you may be an egotist.
If you think your family is God's favorite family, you may be an egotist.
If you think your school is God's favorite school, you may be an egotist.
If you think your church is God's favorite church, you may be an egotist.
If you think your team is God's favorite team, you may be an egotist.
If you think your town is God's favorite town, you may be an egotist.
If you think your country is God's favorite country, you may be an egotist.
If you think your race is God's favorite race, you may be an egotist.
If you think your species is God's favorite species, you may be an egotist.
If you think your planet is God's favorite planet, you may be an egotist.
If you think your galaxy is God's favorite galaxy, you may be an egotist.

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. Do you have any idea how many stars are in the galaxy? Do you know how many galaxies are in the universe? Do you know God's plan for all those stars? If you think God created this whole universe just to put your little species on your little planet, you may be an egotist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think that your views matter you are an egoists (waits for the enevitable).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Or maybe that's just the way it is.

Godzown
New Zealand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
If you think that your views matter you are an egoists (waits for the enevitable).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

He's a tit, but I wonder what he was pulled up for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Are you an egotist? That's a trick question. Of course you are... more haranging deleted

Religion is of course Man attempting to justify himself, When called on it, the religous will have an answer that is circular logic like most of the justification of faith and organized religion - that the individual is giving ones self up to the larger entity and is becoming less egotistical and more altruistic.

...This leaves behind the part where God created Man in his own image.

Getting back to the point of this original posting, the capacity of intelligent people to cast aside significant evidence to the contrary to fully believe in creationism and fully cast aside evolution and natural selection astonishes me. In order to believe in this, one also has to beleive that one's God has purposefully set a false trail of fossil record, geology, anthropology and simple observation.

I beg you, don't trot out "God works in mysterious ways". If I'm going to set a belief structure for my life, I would prefer not to have one that provides red herrings for the "misguided" to follow.

I get a guided hand in evolution. I can even deal with that. But to say that the Bible is right and science is 100% wrong on this staggers the imagination and requires a large dose of mental gymnastics to even consider if one even applies any logic at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

It's a funny picture, but it also seems like dickishness by the cops. Oh yeah, you got a "fuck the police" tattoo so now that you're in custody we're going to take a picture of it with us smirking and post it on the Internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:

It's a funny picture, but it also seems like dickishness by the cops. Oh yeah, you got a "fuck the police" tattoo so now that you're in custody we're going to take a picture of it with us smirking and post it on the Internet.

That's why I posted it. I want to bring awareness to the dickishness of Deputy Adamson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

I didn't like any of their songs either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd like to say I'm extremely 'umble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Halfinger wrote:
I'd like to say I'm extremely 'umble.

Errghhhh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Barticus88 wrote:
My favorite is when MMA fighters like Ben Henderson get done punching/kicking/choking the fuck outta their opponents, the first words out of their mouth are "First I wanna say, I can do all things through CHRIST!!!" As if Jesus is hangin' out in his Christian man-cave somewhere with a bag of chips and some beer cheering on Ben Henderson, "Yeah! Kick his ass! Come on! You call that a rear-naked choke? Choke him! CHOKE HIM!!! YEAAHHHH!!!"

So if you think Jesus wants you to put some shorts on, get in a caged octagon, and attempt to knock another person into unconsciousness, you may be an egotist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that Satan's dong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Barticus88 wrote:
My favorite is when MMA fighters like Ben Henderson get done punching/kicking/choking the fuck outta their opponents, the first words out of their mouth are "First I wanna say, I can do all things through CHRIST!!!" As if Jesus is hangin' out in his Christian man-cave somewhere with a bag of chips and some beer cheering on Ben Henderson, "Yeah! Kick his ass! Come on! You call that a rear-naked choke? Choke him! CHOKE HIM!!! YEAAHHHH!!!"

So if you think Jesus wants you to put some shorts on, get in a caged octagon, and attempt to knock another person into unconsciousness, you may be an egotist.

So let me get this straight: God can help televangelists **** everyone in sight and enrich themselves at the expense of their often desperately poor flock but where you draw the line is when an athlete thanks God for giving him the natural physical and mental talents and opportunities to reach the top of his profession?

Yeah, those MMA guys - they're WAY out of line thinking that a 30 year old professional carpenter who spent his entire life hanging out with other dudes and prostitutes might be into physical sports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Barticus88 wrote:

So let me get this straight: God can help televangelists **** everyone in sight and enrich themselves at the expense of their often desperately poor flock but where you draw the line is when an athlete thanks God for giving him the natural physical and mental talents and opportunities to reach the top of his profession?

Yeah, those MMA guys - they're WAY out of line thinking that a 30 year old professional carpenter who spent his entire life hanging out with other dudes and prostitutes might be into physical sports.

I thought Christ's message was about not using violence, for any reason?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember Jesus taking a position on sports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
I don't remember Jesus taking a position on sports.

But he did take a stand on violence, for any reason (and he did not exclude sport from that opposition). He also took a stand on anger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what the source of that theory is. Jesus used violence himself in situations when it was appropriate.

Certainly he didn't endorse military rebellion against the Romans, but going from that to "Jesus would have tossed up his hands in alarm and shrieked like an offended schoolmarm if he saw two men wrestling for sport" is a bit of a stretch. There's a big difference between an armed insurrection and participating in a sporting event.

EDIT: of all the many things done in the name of religion, thanking god for sporting success is one I have very little problem with.

I don't believe in god at all, but I think we place a massive over-empahisis on sporting skill in this culture, so seeing an athlete after what is considered a big "sporting achievement" like winning a championship acknowlegeing that much of what just happened was due to forces outside of his control seems reasonable and rational to me.

If Benson Henderson said instead of "I thank god for giving me this victory" he instead said "I know that while I fell like I did my best, a lot of the reasons I won were due to forces outside my control," I'd be in more agreement with him, but saying that a win happened because of god is technically correct if you believe in god, since everything that happens happens because of God.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you think you can outsmart God, you may be an egotist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
I'm not sure what the source of that theory is. Jesus used violence himself in situations when it was appropriate.

Certainly he didn't endorse military rebellion against the Romans, but going from that to "Jesus would have tossed up his hands in alarm and shrieked like an offended schoolmarm if he saw two men wrestling for sport" is a bit of a stretch. There's a big difference between an armed insurrection and participating in a sporting event.

EDIT: of all the many things done in the name of religion, thanking god for sporting success is one I have very little problem with.

I don't believe in god at all, but I think we place a massive over-empahisis on sporting skill in this culture, so seeing an athlete after what is considered a big "sporting achievement" like winning a championship acknowlegeing that much of what just happened was due to forces outside of his control seems reasonable and rational to me.

If Benson Henderson said instead of "I thank god for giving me this victory" he instead said "I know that while I fell like I did my best, a lot of the reasons I won were due to forces outside my control," I'd be in more agreement with him, but saying that a win happened because of god is technically correct if you believe in god, since everything that happens happens because of God.

Can you give one bible passage where jesus punched someone in the face, or says such things are acceptable.

As to anger Matthew 5:22. It's hard to see how the anger needed to punch someone can be seen as acceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Can you give one bible passage where jesus punched someone in the face, or says such things are acceptable.

As to anger Matthew 5:22. It's hard to see how the anger needed to punch someone can be seen as acceptable.
You obviously have absolutely no knowledge about martial arts and really should never talk about them.

I've punched many, many, many people without being angry at them in any way. It's called sparing. People are able to commit violent acts in a sport context without being filled with rage or anger.

Jesus physically threw all the "moneychangers" out of the temple and knocked over all of their tables and whatnot. I assume they didn't just stand there wringing their hands as he did it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

You obviously have absolutely no knowledge about martial arts and really should never talk about them.

I've punched many, many, many people without being angry at them in any way. It's called sparing. People are able to commit violent acts in a sport context without being filled with rage or anger.

I don't think they are sparing in UFC, but they might just be realy energetic.

Quote:
Jesus physically threw all the "moneychangers" out of the temple and knocked over all of their tables and whatnot. I assume they didn't just stand there wringing their hands as he did it.

That would be an assumption, yes he drove them out (apparently with w whip) but it does not say he actauly hit anyone does it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Does chasing someone with a whip count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Depends if you use it on the person ot the floor near them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Depends if you use it on the person ot the floor near them.

So a threat of violence is okay as long as it ultimately isn't carried out because the victim concedes to your demands?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.