Subject: Non phasing player units supply status rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to reopen this issue again, but contrary of what I have understood from reading some posts here, I think that non-phasing player LBA and ground units supply status must be reassesed at the Ground Combat Phase of the phasing player.

Quoting a couple of sentences of rule 3.6:

"Out of supply ground units defend normally, but roll half of the total dice allowed when attacking (rounded down). Out of supply LBA units may not participate in combat (attack or defense) nor may they move across a sea zone [5.13]"

The keyword here is defense. Only non-phasing player units and LBA are defending.

It is crystal clear than when a given side becomes the non-phasing player, all his units and fleets start in either in full or partial supply. Otherwise they would have faced elimination.

So it must be possible for the phasing player to maneouver his fleets and units so that the non-phasing player ground units and LBA become OOS in the Ground Combat Phase and apply the sentences above to the defending units.

Rafael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think you might be wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot to mention that the only practical implication would be that defending ground units do not get LBA support (although they could get other hit bonuses like terrain or field fortification)

But you could be right. I've just found this comment in thread Clarification on supplied area:

Quote:
Rick has ruled many times that in all cases, including even VP counts, supply is only checked on the respective player turn. The non-phasing player is never required to check supply.

If so, it is not correct to talk about OOS defending ground units and LBA in these sentences of rule 3.6, IMHO. This won't happen. Could this be an errata ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Green Hobbit
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct that defending units in AE can not be OOS as if they are, they would have been eliminated during that players previous final supply determination round. I believe that the origin of this rule is from Europe Engulfed, where it is possible to have defending OOS units due to the expenditure of a special action for either counter attack or limited supply [for which there is no equvalent SA in AE]. The designers wanted to keep the supply rules in the two games similar [although partial supply in AE should not be confused with limited supply in EE]. So, yes, it is confusing that the rules cover a situation that can't occur in AE. But as it has been explained to me, this was done to keep the EE and AE rules the same. I agree it is confusing.

IN SHORT - the supply status of ones units is ONLY checked during that player's turn. Suppply status of ones units NEVER changes during your opponent's turn.

There are many threads which may help clear this up:

first asked on BGG here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/320546/oos-defending-lan...

which is answered here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/680241/can-oos-ground-units-...

and here:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@530.5wfocLErzQp.86@.1dd0...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

IMHO, this deserves an entry in the Official FAQ, it is really confusing.
Thank you very much, Tom for your answer and links !
Rafael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.