Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks

In my solo game, I have experienced the interesting effects and dynamics of having a key jungle contested area (Dutch Borneo). Now I understand better, the attrition war in the jungle areas, lasting several turns, the desperate reinforcement efforts of both sides and the naval battles produced in surronding sea zones trying to stop the Allied flow of reinforcements.

HoweverI have noticed that none of the jungle effects listed in the game:
- No Assault & Breakthrough combats
- Step loss during July/August if area contested

can be applied to Guadalcanal because it is a Port Box and port boxes are clear terrain AFAIK. It seems a bit odd to me that these jungle effects cannot be recreated precisely in this emblematic area.

Rafael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Green Hobbit
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it may be a question of play balance. But remember that the battle for Burma did last several years whreas the battle for Guadalcanal only lasted 6 months from August 42 to Feb 43. In any case, consider that the allies are almost assured to get troops to Guadalcanal on turn one of the Dec 41 game. Japan can only attack Guadalcanal on turn 2 of the Dec 41 game. Making Guadalcanal a jungle area would have some impact on play balance. You might try it out though.

Typically, Lae and Burma both become slog out choke points for the allies to get through. Adding another choke point may be too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.