Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe it or not, I still haven't played all the Fury of the Bear scenarios, but there are a few I have played several times, and seem a bit one-sided when played by experienced TOI players. The Soviet player(s) have extremely good chances of winning the "Shock and Awe" and "Creating the Korsun Pocket" scenarios. If fact, every time we have played those two scenarios, the Soviet player has won. However, there are some simple tweaks one can do to level the playing field a bit and make the scenarios less one-sided.

For "Shock and Awe", change Starting Initiative from "Soviets" to read, "Germans, but Soviets place starting units first". By doing this, the German PaK 40 75mm AT Gun doesn't get knocked out in the first action turn by the Soviets. Also, it forces the Soviet player to be more worry about his deployment since he does not have the first action turn.

For "Creating the Korsun Pocket", change the number of Rounds from 8 to 6. This puts pressure on the soviet player to advance quicker and having to accept the fact he/she will take some loses. With 8 game rounds, the Soviet player has the luxury of almost wiping out the German player with concentrated fire and with enough time to take the building hexes. That SU-122 is one heck of an infantry killer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Over at the FFG forums more suggestions for fixing some unbalanced scenarios can be found. I agree that some minor tweeks would go a long way towards solving most of these. I seem to remember that Bill Jaffe was even working on these himself and wanting to make the changes "offical", but I don't know what came of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
Over at the FFG forums more suggestions for fixing some unbalanced scenarios can be found. I agree that some minor tweeks would go a long way towards solving most of these. I seem to remember that Bill Jaffe was even working on these himself and wanting to make the changes "offical", but I don't know what came of that.

I saw some of those, but I wanted to keep tweaks simple. Maybe I was hoping it would become official. whistle

As for Bill, I worked with him on a couple of projects, but FFG lost interest and/or decided to pull the plug. Also, it seemed that Bill became a bit busy at home and/or work to follow up on some of the stuff.

I even offered my services to FFG, but they never bothered to respond to my email with either a "Yes" or "No". Was even tempted to write them a letter, yes, a real letter made of paper and everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RayGuns wrote:
boersma8 wrote:

I saw some of those, but I wanted to keep tweaks simple. Maybe I was hoping it would become official. :whistle:

As for Bill, I worked with him on a couple of projects, but FFG lost interest and/or decided to pull the plug. Also, it seemed that Bill became a bit busy at home and/or work to follow up on some of the stuff.

I even offered my services to FFG, but they never bothered to respond to my email with either a "Yes" or "No". Was even tempted to write them a letter, yes, a real letter made of paper and everything. :D

Same here. Í was also working on a thing or two with Bill, but indeed his e-mails have become fewer and far between. It would indeed seem the FFG management are busier with other things now. However, I won't give up hope altogether! I'm still confident that sooner or later we'll see a Pacific expansion, at the very least.

The fact that FFG don't really respond to much (still no official FAQ for FoTB, is there?) doesn't exactly increase interest in the game. One of the main flaws of it-too many unbalanced scenarios- could also easily be remedied at a relatively low cost: just have the fans design them. For sure they'd be willing anmd able to invest more time and effort into the necessary playtesting and such scenarios could even be released online if they don't want the costs for a hard cover book (although the latter would be far preferred by yours truly). The very least they could have already done is make some tweaks to currently unbalanced scenarios and make them offical. heck, the work has already been done for them, even with the FoTB FAQ.The only thing they'd really need to do is say: "As of now these changes and rules are official to the respective scenarios". The diehard fans would be happy with it, they might pull the game out of the closet more often again, spread positive word of mouth and on the forums etc. and thereby pave the way for a succesful release of (a) future (expansions(s).It all seems so easy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only own the base game and am still learning but we enjoy it and am thinking of buying possibly all.

but post like this, about unbalanced scenaroes and others about faulty scaled miniatures make me think twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
I only own the base game and am still learning but we enjoy it and am thinking of buying possibly all.

but post like this, about unbalanced scenaroes and others about faulty scaled miniatures make me think twice.

I recommend "Days of the Fox" as a first expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Nuttleman
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RayGuns wrote:
sagitar wrote:

You could also buy the Designer Series book first - it's a relatively cheap way to get some more great scenarios that you can play with just the base game. It adds scenarios for the Days of the Fox expansion as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Atotalnutt wrote:
RayGuns wrote:
sagitar wrote:

You could also buy the Designer Series book first - it's a relatively cheap way to get some more great scenarios that you can play with just the base game. It adds scenarios for the Days of the Fox expansion as well.

Yes, and now with the license of TOI having gone to 1Agames I'm a lot more confident future expansions, more precisely the scenarios, will be of better qulaity, if only because they are involving members of the community in the playtesting process.

It's a great game with fabulous components and there are many good scenarios out there as well, it's just that you need to know which ones, but a bit of googling and advice you could get on this matter, for example here on BGG should get you a long way in that respect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.