Subject: Difference between EFI & EFII : is the game too pro-Axis now ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
The game is balanced--I have lost many times as both the Axis and the Soviets!

The first three rules changes you mention are fairly minor and do not affect play balance IMO.

The last change is the most important and does help the Axis a bit. In EuroFront, OKH can actually withdraw to Berlin for full command efficiency and rebuild using WestFront production points at normal cost (no Winter Paralysis penalty), which helps the Germans even more.

At the end of the day though, I do not think the change tilts the game too far in one direction or the other. OKH can still only activate once a month--are two extra strategic moves going to completely cancel out a Russian winter offensive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marten Tjaart Raadsveld
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With experienced players it's quite hard to get a draw as the Germans in Summer 41. In general, the Soviets have more change of winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mtraadsveld1 wrote:
With experienced players it's quite hard to get a draw as the Germans in Summer 41. In general, the Soviets have more change of winning.

This is deliberate -- I generally try to balance things so the player who has the most fun (strategic offensive) has a SLIGHTLY lower chance of winning. In 1941, a reward for being willing to take the pummeling . . .

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't know the motivations behind the rule change, but I doubt OKH undisrupted in Warsaw is what caused your current winning streak. It sounds like you have more experience at the game than your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the online continious lader tournament still active anywhere? Was at www.eastfront.de iirc, but that no longer works...

I batted a little less than .500 in those games, and really got stomped a few times. Learned a lot. That was based on the computer version

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, found it. Try hooking up here

http://east-front.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Resolution wrote:
Not my experience at my last games. I'm now at a 14-1 winning streak, playing historical summer '41 scenario.

I play a 3-1 HQ South strategy, with 7-4 Panzer Korps.

In my somewhat limited experience, there is no way Soviets can prevent German to reach a Rostov-Vorozneh line. I then turn North and assault Moscow in Summer '42 : the few clear hexes there are the perfect killing ground.

With 3 HQ south, Germany can blitz every turn, and have a normal activation the other fortnight. If you are willing to take some risks, you can even blitz every fortnight in Sept : you can lower your HQ to 0,you'll have Nov and Dec turns to rebuild them.

With 6 strat moves in Winter '41, Germany can almost avoid to activate other HQ. My goal as a Soviet during the counter-offensive is always to maneuver : if you can force Axis HQ activation, you are doing well. Otherwise, Germany will begin May '42 almost at full strength. That's what happened in my 3 last games.

In Summer '42 Germany has more troops, and with the 4 HQ in front of Moscow, can blitz every fortnight. He should produce at 80+ then : it can take a lot of losses, and has far more reserve than the Russian. He can switch his troops more easily too. In July or August, Soviet just don't have the troops anymore to form a coherent defensive line.

I like EFII so much because of all its finesse : it's quite easy to be over optimistic. This is one of the few games I know where Germany can over assess its abilities, and launch a typhoon offensive in Nov'41, or where the Soviet can be a bit berserk in Winter'41, and try to do too much with his armies.

A 3 steps Corps don't have 75% of the value of a full strength one : it lacks staying power. It's true value is probably 66%, or even a bit less.

All of this to say that 2 strat moves more in a few crucial turns, + the ability to activate two times OKH in a dire turn at the end of the Winter seems to me a big German advantage. In EFII, Germany has also the possibility to enter reinforcement at Victory Point Cities, saving him again a few srat moves.

Furthermore, I don't understand the motive for this change : the rail has still the wrong gauge for the most part in Winter'41, and the supply system very poor and ill prepared.

Are you using free setup rather than historical setup? I haven't tried the free setup, but I'd say that in the historical setup it seems to be more about player experience levels than anything else.

Sounds like you may be using the 'blob' strategy. I've never encountered it, but Craig talked with players a while back and determined that experienced players learned how to counter it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marten Tjaart Raadsveld
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is no critism. I don't mind that the Russians have a better chance of winning. S42 seems the other way around though: this is the most difficult scenario for the Russians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Evola
msg tools
Tolerance works both ways.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too pro-Axis? Is that possible?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.