Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Royds
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys and girls. New as hell here....

Why is there no decent Dragonlance Board Game? I see there was an old Dragonlance BG, but it looks pretty lame. It didn't really get the characters into it.

Am I alone here in wanting a good Dragonlance game? Maybe based on the twins trilogy? Hmmmmmm?

Also, is there any board games based on the Magician books?

Help a newbie out...

Thanks in advance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milvus
Ireland
Wicklow Town
Co. Wicklow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you're definitely not alone.

I'd love to see one. One in the style of the other DnD games mentioned would do, but I'd rather something in the style of fantasy boardgames such as Runebound, Prophecy and Talisman. Maybe a co-op in the style of Defenders of the Realm would be nice.

I picked up Dragonlance just for the hell of it recently. Haven't played it yet, it isn't supposed to be great but it was cheap and at least it's Dragonlance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love a good Dragonlance board game, maybe something like War of the Ring (dudes on a map wargame with an adventuring party bolted on). I used to have the old board game and it wasn't great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
A good Dragonlance game would be wonderful. There is a short list of feasible board game themes that would automatically grab my wife's interest, and Dragonlance is one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roydsy wrote:
Maybe based on the twins trilogy?

Time travel might be a little much to ask of a board game.

Would be interesting to see how that's handled, in any case.

I would think that the first trilogy might be better suited for a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roydsy wrote:

Why is there no decent Dragonlance Board Game? I see there was an old Dragonlance BG, but it looks pretty lame. It didn't really get the characters into it.

Am I alone here in wanting a good Dragonlance game? Maybe based on the twins trilogy? Hmmmmmm?

Help a newbie out...

Thanks in advance...

I think probably b/c the glory days of Dragonlance were before the current glory days of boardgaming.

As for characters, no-brainer for me, I liked the original trilogy characters the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll for borrowing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a bunch of old Dragonlance AD&D modules as well as the first 10 years of novels.

They could easily make a Dragonlance board game with that material, but I think it's a matter of picking the best known part of the mythos and deciding whether to make it in the Castle Ravenloft, etc. mold or to make it a new character pack for their Dungeon Command skirmish game (or both).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an intersting thread on Canonfire.com (Greyhawk fan page) on a WoTC address at GenCon, addressing future plans at WoTC. A preview blurb from WoTC contained the phrase "the re-birth of a fantasy setting,...", without mention of what that setting would be. This could have some bearing on what board game (if any) might come out in the future. If Krynn was the world that was revisited, a well-timed release of a board game might help drum up interest in RPG products of the same setting. Or in the reverse, new RPG product for Dragonlance might generate better sales for a Dragonlance board game.

A possible downside though is that even if that came to pass, a re-working of the setting might lead to a board game based on the reworking, rather than the "classic" Dragonlance that I suspect most board gamers would want.

Of course, Dragonlance is one setting of many that could be coming, so I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet.

Link to thread: http://www.canonfire.com/cfhtml/modules.php?name=Forums&file...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Roll for borrowing...

Can't find my die though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This exists, although probably not in the format desired:

Dragons of Glory

It is an old-school hex-n-counter wargame. I remember playing a computerized port on either my C64 or early PC...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and there's this:Magestones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:

It's like I'm living the Chronicles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if we made othello where you couldn't place something unless the dice said you could??

AWESOME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone was actually looking for the d3 in a recent thread here somewhere. This game had them, if not much else.

Published in 1990, an early example of "pasted on theme".

I think I heard the original story behind the game somewhere and it was sitting around on TSR's shelves and they jammed the Dragonlance logo on it. A quick internet search didn't find any evidence though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
havoc110 wrote:

It's like I'm living the Chronicles!

I have bought this atrocity years ago...

I don't have the board nor the box anymore. I don't regret it. This was an abstract game with a huge luck factor. It was horrible, to put it mildly.

I kept the dice, because they are D3... I never found a use for them, but i have D3s!!!

I kept the glass beads for use as counter in numerous games over the years. From some CCGs to track health back in the days to BattleTech and more recently Dust Tactics and Dust Warfare (to track health, activation, reaction, ammo spend, etc.).

In that sense, this was the best purchase i ever made to pimp other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have D3s too. I call it a 6-sided dice where the 4, 5, and 6 sides are overstated by 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Roydsy wrote:

Help a newbie out...

Thanks in advance...

The old DragonLance game isn't that bad if you play the advanced rules. It was the most fiddly game i ever played as the elevation towers had a tendency to fall down and crash on the board, but the game itself is definitely far from the worst i have played. It played a bit like a boardgame version of the "Joust" videogame.
Instead of flying dueling birds, you had flying dueling lizards...
It was aerial combat with a squadron of dragons, each backed by a DragonLance original trilogy character with gave them a special power.
You had an advantage if you attacked an opponent from higher. Each point of damage dealth would knock the opposing dragon lower in altitude, if the opposing dragon crashed... it died.
You needed to be high in altitude to survive, but the entrances to the castle which had the dragonlance and the entrances to the flying fortresses which had other bonuses were at low altitude, forcing you to fly low at some point.

Again, not the greatest design, but it was definietly not a horrible game by any stretch (though it might feel outdated by today's standards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny timing, I just stumbled upon this:
Dragon Whisperer
From Tracy and Laura Hickman, the creators of Dragonlance (along with Weiss of course).
And the kicker is, the designer is none other than Richard Borg, of the C&C system fame (Battle Cry, Memoir '44, BattleLore, Commands & Colors: Ancients, Samurai Battles).
This guy is a solid designer with a track record.

So while it's not literally set in the Dragonlance world, it would be similar and has a strong chance of being a solid game to boot.
It's on kickstarter, not quite funded yet:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/albinodragon/dragons-bar...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after watching the video... nevermind, it's a trick-taking game so at least for me, not my cup of tea soblue Beautiful production though.

For those of you who like the setting and like that kind of game it might be a good bet though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Royds
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... Well we can all wait in hope.... There just havent ever been any good games based on the lance. The video game on Sega was terrible! Thanks for the replies guys. First post is always the hardest post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Cermak
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Honestly, Defenders of the Realm could have easily been a "Dragonlance" game, especially considering that Larry Elmore' art is all over the board, and he did all the original Dragonlance art. It reminds me so much of Dragonlance as it is!

The armies could have been the Dragon Highlords and it could have been Kitiara the Dark Lady marching towards Palanthas instead of "Monarch City." Or Takhasis herself. All the minions could be draconians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Roydsy wrote:
Yeah... Well we can all wait in hope.... There just havent ever been any good games based on the lance. The video game on Sega was terrible! Thanks for the replies guys. First post is always the hardest post

I remember the old SSI game which wasn't half bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Queen_of_Krynn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Roydsy wrote:

I remember the old SSI game which wasn't half bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Queen_of_Krynn

There were a few SSI games set in Dragonlance. The only one I played was Death Knights of Krynn. Dodgy graphics even for the time but I enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was immensely proud of having finished Champions of Krynn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champions_of_Krynn), myself. Spent weeks on the thing. Good times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.