Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attention all!

You might know me as "that one guy who made that one guide" and I'm asking for your help!

I wish to compile a "Match-up guide" for Robert, the Saint. However, to do this, I need the opinions and feedback of other players.

To anyone who has played as or against Robert, who does he do well against and who does he struggle against?

I will then try my best to find Robert's optimum strategy against that other character. (with your input, of course)

And before anyone tells me AGAIN, Vanaah is already on the list and I've found the best way to deal with her. So let me start it off with Vanaah.

Robert Strategy Against:

Vanaah

Vanaah is a tough cookie. Her above average stats and ability to force you to discard tokens make it quite a hard match for any Robert. But don't give up just yet, certain game mechanics allow for Robert players to exploit Vanaah's play-style.

Let us first address her strongest weapon against you: Reaping. As odd as it sounds, Reaping is weak against Robert. What most Vanaahs want is for you to not have a token to discard so that she can get her token. However, as stated in the guide, you shouldn't be anteing your tokens too much. This just means that Vanaah has no way of getting her token earlier than she should.

Speaking of her token, it is integral to her gameplay. Most Vanaahs will ante it with her Glorious style to rack up on the Power and Priority.

However, it is a matter of great importance to know your own token effects. Anteing Vox gives you Priority +4 which easily crushes her Divine Rush token.

Since you're not going to be anteing most of the time; only when you want to finish her off, its very likely that she will ante her token first. This is where the game mechanics go into your favor. You can now respond to her Divine Rush with a Vox token, giving you a Priority advantage and easily besting her attack.

As for losing your token, the game mechanics work in your favor AGAIN. After she antes her token, it will take her 2 Beats to retrieve it. Robert, on the other hand, only needs one turn to get his anted token back. By playing Rosary immediately after the Beat you ante, you gain your token yet again and benefit from it while insuring yourself another win in Priority when she does get her Divine Rush back.

Any questions/comments are much welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played against Vaanah very often? I only ask because your interpretation of how she works seems -very- different from what I've found. Vaanah play doesn't revolve around reliably winning priority. Her Divine Rush token is also not as key to her effectiveness as you make it seem. She still has plenty of Stun Guard and other effects that can let her hit reliably on her off turns, and plenty of damage boosts to make her come out on top in those exchanges.

I understand you like Robert, but reading this guide makes it sound like a tough match-up for him is neutralized entirely by just anteing the same token over and over again. I mean, what kind of Vaanah player is playing Glorious and anteing Divine Rush when they can see you have Vox up? Why not ante it with a Reaping Strike or Judgment? Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, Robert can't consistently exceed 5 damage without token use. That means you aren't cracking Stun Guard on a Strike, and a Divine Rushed Strike is going to slap you back for an easy 6 or 7. Glorious is, in all honesty, a horrible move to play against a character that has a way to beat your priority sitting in open view.

Also, are you playing with the errata version of Judgment? That -significantly- improves her match up against Robert since he cannot close the distance outside of move directly effects and ante speed advances. I would imagine the discussion of something that keeps you from getting melee would be a big part of any strategy guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played against Robert enough to participate in the discussion on anything but a hypothetical level, but good luck, all the same!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AtomicReaction wrote:
Have you played against Vaanah very often? I only ask because your interpretation of how she works seems -very- different from what I've found. Vaanah play doesn't revolve around reliably winning priority. Her Divine Rush token is also not as key to her effectiveness as you make it seem. She still has plenty of Stun Guard and other effects that can let her hit reliably on her off turns, and plenty of damage boosts to make her come out on top in those exchanges.

I understand you like Robert, but reading this guide makes it sound like a tough match-up for him is neutralized entirely by just anteing the same token over and over again. I mean, what kind of Vaanah player is playing Glorious and anteing Divine Rush when they can see you have Vox up? Why not ante it with a Reaping Strike or Judgment? Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, Robert can't consistently exceed 5 damage without token use. That means you aren't cracking Stun Guard on a Strike, and a Divine Rushed Strike is going to slap you back for an easy 6 or 7. Glorious is, in all honesty, a horrible move to play against a character that has a way to beat your priority sitting in open view.

Also, are you playing with the errata version of Judgment? That -significantly- improves her match up against Robert since he cannot close the distance outside of move directly effects and ante speed advances. I would imagine the discussion of something that keeps you from getting melee would be a big part of any strategy guide.

Let me clarify a few things:

1) I wrote this on an off day. I wasn't thinking my best.
2) I'm asking for input and thank you very much for yours! ^_^

I will admit that the "guide" makes it sound like that. That anteing Vox will solve all your problems. We all know it doesn't.

However, a big part of the game is basically "know what your opponent will do next" so I couldn't just slap it on the guide and say "Try to guess what the Vanaah will do and counter accordingly." It's like that for ALL match ups.

As such, I found it rudimentary to go the motions of explaining that "counter-play" is a good strategy against her. It's a good strat against ANYONE. Thusly, it has been omitted.

I guess the same logic goes for the omission of Vanaah's other half. The other part of her which is filled with Stun Guard is impossible for Robert to break reliably as it requires guesswork. You'll never know if she's packing Stun Guard. To ante your token in such a situation would be folly as Robert MUST benefit from every token exchange. He can't whiff a token, so to speak.

These aspects of Vanaah's game (thusly including Judgement, which requires guesswork again) have been omitted due to the fact that all I'll end up saying is "try to guess when she will do this." It doesn't help at all.

I'm sorry if this wasn't clear. You do make valid points but the guide is supposed to show the mechanics that work in your favor. 100% assurance of these mechanics.

However, you are correct in saying that Vanaah could easily just ante her Divine Rush on a Strike. I will edit this when I have time.

I also seem to have forgotten token counters. Malleus in addition to Robert's inherent Stun Guard make him a deadly exchange machine, albeit not so favorably.

As a final note, please don't think I've run a bias on Robert. I don't think he's the best character when it comes to actual gameplay. I admit he has his flaws. Most of which involve fighting characters with Stun Guard. So please give me time to experiment more and find more concrete ways of fighting such characters. ^_^

Edit:
Please feel free to comment more on match-up questions. I need to compile a list ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.