Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hullo!

I'm thinking about buying this one.
My GF and I love the theme (Westeros) and we play a lot of A Game of Thrones: The Card Game, maybe the game we play more.
I had a Memoir'44 collection and I've sold it this year, I sold it because scenario-wise the game wasn't balanced, it was built to play and rotate and play again. I didn't like that kind of experience, I even bought the Memoir '44: Campaign Book Volume 1 but still didn't enjoyed it so much, the common deck, the 3 sides of the table...

I also had BattleLore, but again the common deck and the 3 sided table... that was a huge meh for me.

I like the way BOW plays, the orders and commanders and such...
I guess BOW really talks to us but I need to know if this game is well balanced between those two factions, both in Scenarios and Skirmish games, because I'm not seeing her playing with Lannies! laugh

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our session statistics thread might be interesting to you:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/830679/session-statistics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! thumbsup

You think is balanced, all in all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zimmer
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
...DONT lose that GIRL FRIEND!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the scenarios arent balanced, but most matches were quite close. All
In all it feels well balanced for me. And even in cases of misbalance or great luck on one side its not like "ive lost anyway" but more like "which moves could i try to win nonetheless"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the big difference between Battles of Westeros and other section-based C&C games is that the tactical options and particularly scenario objectives are far more varied. Scenarios allow many different ways of responding to the action on the board, because basically you aren't restricted much, if at all, by the cards in your hand. You position leaders for control and can almost always move and attack with any Unit on the board.

The game takes longer to play than any other C&C style game, though, mainly because of the wealth of options available on each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another benefit is the ease of setup for the custom skirmishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike Memoir 44, neither side has a built in disadvantage (like the Axis do with some cards in memoirs).

The two factions have diffrent units and commanders but there is no power imbalance among the two.

Skirmish seems to be pretty well balanced, at least every game I have played in that format has had both sides having a chance at a victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!!

Thank you all! You've sold me a copy of BOW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
I think the big difference between Battles of Westeros and other section-based C&C games is that the tactical options and particularly scenario objectives are far more varied. Scenarios allow many different ways of responding to the action on the board, because basically you aren't restricted much, if at all, by the cards in your hand. You position leaders for control and can almost always move and attack with any Unit on the board.

The game takes longer to play than any other C&C style game, though, mainly because of the wealth of options available on each turn.

This sounds fantastic to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.