Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up a second edition of this and I was wondering about the order in which I should play the scenarios.
(I don't see any numbers on them or anything.)

Would you LnL veterans have any recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a starter scenario, grab the print and play BoH demo, and print out the scenario that comes with it...Assault on Vierville. It's a great little scenario with a low counter mix, and no complicated scenario special rules (SSRs), vehicles, or ordnance. After that, Carentan is a good one, with infantry only. Tameville Breakout adds a couple of vehicles and bazookas/panzerfausts & panzerschreks, but it's not overwhelming, and there aren't a lot of SSRs.

I'd play Assault on Vierville two or three times at least, then try Carentan a couple of times, and then Tameville a couple of times. At that point, you should be able to start doing the more complicated ones without too much trouble.

Whenever I pick LnL back up, I usually start back in with those. FWIW, I did a write up of the Assault on Vierville scenario a few years ago, with some running commentary on what thought process (if any) I was using . It's on the files section. I spotted a few typos in it not that long ago, but you can still make some sense out of it. Good luck, LnL is a great system.

One tip is, don't get hung up on spotting...that seems to trip a lot of new folks up. For one thing, most of these scenarios are too short for the attacker to sit back and try and spot hexes to shoot at for very long, so usually the defender will reveal himself by opp firing at moving units, and then you can shoot him. Of course, the first guys to move don't always fare so well .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't vouch for John's advice, but here is the link to game demos.

John is right that Newbs tend to spend too much time and effort on Spotting Attempts. I know I did. Now I usually only try them if units/Leaders have nothing better to do, or, if my side is not in a hurry to get somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with what others have already said above. In addition, I found it beneficial--after playing the demo games and a simpler scenario--to pick a scenario that would use most all the LnL rules. I picked "Roosevelt's Butchers," but it could have been any of several others. That way I got to read and use all the rules in the booklet, experiencing how they all work together. After doing that, I finally started to feel like a real LnL player.

The LnL system is really not that hard. Once you get used to it, you'll find it's a piece of cake. But at first it feels like you have to take baby steps and try something very simple. Do that. But then, as soon as you get up the courage for it, pick a big, complicated-looking scenario and make yourself play that.

Once you prove to yourself that it's not as complicated as you had feared, all the LnL scenarios are wide open to you! From then on, you don't have to worry about such things as "optimal scenario order." You can just play whatever you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the helpful answers, guys.
Now I'm looking at the download sections of the LNL Publishing website, and I'm not sure what it is I should get.
Would anyone have a link handy to guide a lost soul?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, I'm not sure you need to download a scenario, I think the game comes with some good beginner ones. But...

http://www.locknloadgame.com/_store/download.asp?Category=11

Free Downloads>>>Game Demos>>Download Lock 'n Load Band Of Heroes Demo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there somewhere a list of published scenarios, like those lists for ASL scenarios?

Maybe there are magazine scenarios, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
Again, I'm not sure you need to download a scenario, I think the game comes with some good beginner ones. But...

http://www.locknloadgame.com/_store/download.asp?Category=11

Free Downloads>>>Game Demos>>Download Lock 'n Load Band Of Heroes Demo

Thanks! I didn't understand I had to download the whole kit -- I was looking for the scenario by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
Is there somewhere a list of published scenarios, like those lists for ASL scenarios?

Maybe there are magazine scenarios, etc.

This is a list I made of the WWII scenarios for the Band of Heroes series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Superb. Could you give the key to the modules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops! Sure..

BoH = Band of Heroes
SaB = Swift and Bold
NoSB = Not One Step Back
DJ = Dark July
Nov = Noville
HoB = Heroes of the Blitzkreig
BPA = Battle Pack Alpha - scenario pack
BPB = Battle Pack Beta - second scenario pack

LoF = LnL's Line of Fire magazine
BatMag = Battles Magazine
News = LnL's old email newsletter
Demo = scenario from LnL's PnP package from their site
Custom = some player made scenarios from LnL's site (not sure these are still available)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane Tanguay
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an Excel roster of all LnL scenarios for all the modules out there. It is updated from the one that was published in Line of Fire. Email me and i'll get back to you next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if the PnP demo(s) is still available somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is the only one still available right now.

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/50709/Band-of-Heroes-Dem...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kwsrv wrote:
I think this is the only one still available right now.

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/50709/Band-of-Heroes-Dem...

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.