Subject: My dice hate me... (solitaire adventure) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game of Dungeon Run and after reading the rules, I picked the elven lass Paelleall, whose statistics seem pretty balanced for a solo run through the dungeon.

_ _ _|
| |
|
|
|_ _|_
| |
|
|
ENT

The Phoenix Elf stood at the top of the steps, looking down into the gloom. Rumours of a Summoning Stone led her here and she was certainly not going back without it. Striding down the steps, Paelleall encountered an Undergound Channel. She easily forded the raging waters and decided to pause a while to catch her breath from the exertion.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Turn 1:
Move
Roll: 4, 5, 6; Skip an action - quite unnecessary as I later realised.

Setting off to the north, Paelleall stepped into a T-junction. A Giant Rat pounced on her back! Before it could sink its teeth into her neck, she slapped it senseless onto the ground and stomped on it hard, hearing the crack of bone. Smirking, she prepared to move off, but turned back on hearing a hiss and saw the rat staggering up and limping at her.

Stunned, the elven ranger still managed to raise her sword in time to knock away the creature as it leaped at her face. She twisted the blade in time to leave a deep gash in the rat's stomach.

Turn 2:
Move
Treasure-T-: 1, 2, 3; Encounter-E-: 4, 5, 6; Die: 6
Rat: 1, 2, 5, 6; Paelleall: 1, 5 (Block), 5, 5, 5
Rat alive - rolled a stinking 1
Battle
Rat: 1, 2, 2, 5; Paelleall: 1, 2 (B), 2 (B), 3, 3

Paelleall gave the rat no chance to attack; she hewed off its head as it landed. Peering northwards, she decided to head to the east instead and stepped into a 4-way intersection. A glint of light in the nook of a crumbling stone wall catches her eye...

Turn 3:
Battle
Rat: 1, 2, 4, 6; Paelleall: 1, 1, 2 (B), 2, 4
Rat stays dead - rolled a 5
Paelleall's Life: 5/5
Move
T: 1, 2, 3, 4; E: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6; Die: 1

Moving the rocks aside, Paelleall found a pretty belt and was instinctively bound to put it on. A strong sense of attachment to this belt settled on her; she would find it hard to remove it at any time. After admiring the belt on her waist, she stepped to the north to find an Ancient Bridge. It looked very decrepit and possibly might fall apart at any moment. Nonetheless, an elf is an elf, and she deftly danced across the old rotten boards, leaving only swirls of dust in her wake.

Turn 4:
Search
Belt of Terrible Exertion
Move
Roll: 2, 4, 4, 5

Continuing further ahead, Paelleall found yet another T-junction. Curiously, a chest laid in the centre. Senses heightened with caution, she approached the object and readily parried the tentacles that lashed out from its side. Roaring her fury, she stepped in closer but was knocked back as she was struck on her chest and side.

Turn 5:
Move
T: 1, 2, 3; E: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5; Die: 4
Mimic: 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 6, 6; Paelleall: 1, 1, 3, 4 (B), 6 (B)
Battle
Mimic: 1, 1, 2, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6; Paelleall: 1, 1, 3, 3, 3

The battle raged on for several minutes. Paelleall managed to parry and counter, but took a few hits in return. At last, she spotted an opening. With a loud screech, she weaved past the tentacles and pounced, driving her sword deep into the Mimic's eye with all her might. Body covered in ichor, she took a while to rest and clean herself up.

Turn 6:
Battle
Mimic: 1, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6; Paelleall: 1, 3, 4, 5 (B), 5 (B)
Battle
Mimic: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6; Paelleall: 1, 3, 4, 5 (B), 5 (B)

Turn 7:
Battle
Mimic: 2, 2, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6; Paelleall: 1, 1, 1, 3, 4 (B)
Battle
Mimic: 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5; Paelleall: 1, 1, 3, 5, 6
Rally - +1 +1 Life
Paelleall's Life: 3/5

Moving westwards after the hard fight, Paellaell came across another T-junction. She had no time to react as a Maeltrap Spider dropped down and bit her on the neck. Lethargy swept through her system. As the spider crept around her, she struggled to stay awake. Flaying her sword around, she failed to connect with her blows. The spider seemed to be toying around with her, but after several minutes, the poison did its work. Paellaell had no more strength to move and the spider moved in. Its pincers drove into the elf's throat and slowly, the arachnid started to drain the life juices from its prey, leaving a withered husk in the dark dungeons...

Turn 8:
Move
T: 1, 2, 3; E: 4, 5, 6; Die: 5
Maeltrap Spider: 1, 1, 2, 5, 6
Battle
Spider: 1, 2, 5, 5, 5; Paelleall: 1, 3, 4, 5 (B), 6 (B)

Turn 9:
Battle
Spider: 1, 3, 3, 4, 6; Paelleall: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4 (B)
Battle
Spider: 1, 1, 4, 6, 6; Paelleall: 1, 1, 2, 2, 4 (B)

Turn 10:
Battle
Spider: 2, 3, 3, 5, 6; Paelleall: 2, 3, 3, 3, 6 (B)
Battle
Spider: 1, 2, 5, 5, 6; Paelleall: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (B)
Paelleall's Life: 0/5

SCORE:

Treasure: 1x 100 = 100
Artifacts: 0x 200 = 0
Encounters: 2x 100 = 200
Boss: 0x 300 = 0
Training: 0x 300 = 0
Survival: 0x 300 = 0

Total: 300

Thoughts
My impression from this solo play is that there is little long-term planning. With 6 tiles to play before the Boss tile, it seems to be how many encounters you dare to take on and win before meeting the Boss. Perhaps I should have tried to Escape the spider (and chance to take on the Boss, who turns out to be Ra-Alal), but that is a 6+ and quite unlikely based on the rolls for the spider's next attack.

Overall, the initial impression for me is a light dungeon game that is heavy on luck (Fighting Fantasy Lite on a board). Judging by the numbers rolled, my dice (and cards) really hate me... Maybe the next game might be different...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that, yes, you probably should've tried to escape. In solo games (and multi-player sometimes, too), when I'm in a tricky situation like that, I'll try the escape as my first action and then attack as my second action if I have to (to avoid the "you spent the whole turn with a monster but didn't attack it so it beats you down" rule).

Of course, IMO, the solo escape rules are sort of broken. Well, not the escape, I guess, but the roaming. Since I control the monsters, if I escape, then I can just roam them as far away as possible. You could take Stabbins straight to the Boss and probably never have to fight a monster if you didn't want to. Perhaps not the smartest thing to do, but it does eliminate some of the excitement for me in solo games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape was a possibility, but thinking further on it, it only delayed the inevitable. If it had been successful, I would have faced Ral-Alal with 2 Life. Even if I managed to kill him, I would very likely encounter the spider on the way back to the entrance (my fault for setting up a one-way dungeon path). So again it would be another 6+ to escape the spider or die. The Mimic was a very tough fight for me; it cost me 4 Life (rallied back 2) and I had to get it, but I was aiming to have enough to Advance before facing the Boss, so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo rules say that once you kill the Boss, the game is over. No need to return to the Entrance. That's one of the reasons that I feel that solo roaming is broken -- after you escape a monster, you can just roam it away from you and never have to fight it again. I started just removing any roaming monsters from the game so that I didn't have to deal with roaming them back and forth in a corner every turn.

Plus, since Ability cards aren't used, all you get from Advancing is extra die rolls, which can be useful, but given the size of a solo dungeon, you'll probably only Advance once. Fighting the Boss with full health may be better than fighting with one extra die but at half health. Therefore, for me, the norm became to always escape monsters unless there was a treasure underneath.

I really love this game in multi-player, but solo feels tacked on. I tried to make some house rules, but in the end I just stopped playing solo. Dungeon Run 2 is supposed to include some rules changes. We'll have to wait and see if it improves on solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martidem wrote:
The solo rules say that once you kill the Boss, the game is over. No need to return to the Entrance.

Damn... way to miss rule #4 in Solitaire Dungeon Run. I have to remember that for the next run.

Treasures and Encounter cards count as points though; for me, the goal of solitaire play here is to get as much points as possible and survive. Constantly running to kill just the boss would conflict with that, so I guess it would be a balance to kill as much as I can and making it to the boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.