Popular Tags: [View All]
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to make a game prototype and I really like the idea of committing orders to units (or in my case to formations of units) by using small dials like the upcoming FFG X-Wing.

Dials have practical advantages of over cards (density of information, easy organization, ability to place on the board) and block rotation (number of options), but they're harder to prototype because I have no idea how I would go about constructing a nice center hinge point. From the X-Wing rule book it looks like FFG is using two part plastic snap hinges like they used for the dials in LoTR:LCG and BSG. Anybody found a source for something like that or come up with a reasonable alternative?

Also cutting the chipboard in a perfect circle seems slightly daunting so any advice there would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Lamontagne
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the english term for «attache parisienne», but it should do it.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=attache+parisienne&hl=en&clien...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we just call them 'paper fasteners'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:
Also cutting the chipboard in a perfect circle seems slightly daunting so any advice there would be appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3D... ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:
From the X-Wing rule book it looks like FFG is using two part plastic snap hinges like they used for the dials in LoTR:LCG and BSG. Anybody found a source for something like that or come up with a reasonable alternative?

I know it doesn't help you, but I just scrounged up a couple extra of the FFG ones, since they gave you an extra one in BSG.

adorablerocket wrote:

For the dials I made for Dune, I just used scissors to cut out the circle of chipboard, then used sandpaper to smooth out the edges. It's not perfect, but it's not noticeable unless you scrutinize it. I even used thicker chipboard than what game companies usually use, and had no problem. I tried using a circle cutter and it didn't work at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in school they called them butterfly fasteners. But of late they seem to just be called paper fasteners.

I have a pack of them for making dials for games and I have seen little ones on sale at craft shops and dollar store craft sections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://spoonful.com/crafts/forever-calendar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:

Also known in some regions as brads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
dumarest123 wrote:

I'm glad you said it first, because that's what I remember them being called in elementary school! Glad I wasn't alone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'Split pins' when I was growing up, now more commonly (at least outside of the US, which admittedly won't be super useful info for the OP) as brass fasteners...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_fasteners
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
EitherOrlok wrote:
dumarest123 wrote:

I'm glad you said it first, because that's what I remember them being called in elementary school! Glad I wasn't alone!

Yes. Brads was another term for them. Brass Brads. Though I have also seen Brads refer to tiny little nails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Plastics For Games sells exactly what you want:

http://www.plasticsforgames.co.uk/en/en_prod_arrows.asp

(Check the entry for Pivot Pin & Base.) I've used these in the past and they work excellent.

The bad news is that their minimum order is 100GBP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dialdude.ca will make dials to order.Haven't ordered from them so check on TMP about them.

http://dialdude.ca/The_Dials.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
greg wrote:
Plastics For Games sells exactly what you want:

http://www.plasticsforgames.co.uk/en/en_prod_arrows.asp

(Check the entry for Pivot Pin & Base.) I've used these in the past and they work excellent.

The bad news is that their minimum order is 100GBP.

Wow, you're right that's perfect! Surely somebody somewhere offers that in smaller quantities?

The brass brads are a quick and dirty option, I had previously dismissed them as being too fragile, but I guess a couple dabs of hot glue and washers is reasonable solution.

Scrounging a 'couple of' game bits is not really a good option (I wish I could just order a dozen or two from FFG) because I'm thinking of about 5-10 formations for each side.

Thanks for the help so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was another thread on this issue a year or two ago, where it was revealed that what you want is known as a "Chicago Screw." Which, apparently, has nothing to do with corrupt aldermen. Who knew?

Anyway, looks like you can get 1/8" ones from Amazon for a pretty decent price; that should be about right for two layers of .050" chipboard plus paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:
The brass brads are a quick and dirty option, I had previously dismissed them as being too fragile, but I guess a couple dabs of hot glue and washers is reasonable solution.

Actually the brads/butterflys/fasteners/WHATEVER!!! are pretty sturdy and will hold up pretty darn well.

If you want to make them even more sturdy then glue a base over the bottom of the wheel to cover the spread wings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
parkrrrr wrote:
what you want is known as a "Chicago Screw." Which, apparently, has nothing to do with corrupt aldermen. Who knew?

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meaker VI
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking in the hardware direction, light-duty binding posts look like they would make a nice, reusable connection. If you can't find these things at a hardware store, I've used McMaster before and their service is superb- I usually get my orders within days.

From McMaster-Carr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
parkrrrr wrote:
There was another thread on this issue a year or two ago, where it was revealed that what you want is known as a "Chicago Screw." Which, apparently, has nothing to do with corrupt aldermen. Who knew?

Anyway, looks like you can get 1/8" ones from Amazon for a pretty decent price; that should be about right for two layers of .050" chipboard plus paper.

Perfect! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fastenal has all sorts of binding posts and mating screws. And there are several locations near you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy dials from Litko which track numbers from 1-10 or 1-100

http://www.litko.net/categories/Turn-Trackers-%26-Dials/

I bought a few of these that arrived in about a week.

These use really small but strong magnets between the circular pieces of perspex, that grip but still allow the circles to turn smoothly (no glue is actually needed for these).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.