BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: I'm looking for a Solo game.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Figueroa
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
What's a fun solo game that's out there. Multiplayer is a plus, but I would like a game that I don't need to count on someone wanting to play a game with me... I have Gears of War & D-Day Dice so far. Can anyone help me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Mage Knight Board Game ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cubiks wrote:
What's a fun solo game that's out there. Multiplayer is a plus, but I would like a game that I don't need to count on someone wanting to play a game with me... I have Gears of War & D-Day Dice so far. Can anyone help me?

Well you don't say what type of game you're interested in (fantasy, wargame etc) and could use some info on the complexity you favor too. But here goes.

A great game to play solo is Arkham Horror. You can also play with up to 8 players. Another game that has a good solo scenario but can also be played with up to 5 is Blackbeard. Check out my solo session report here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6233382#6233382

Mage Knight is a good fantasy game that can be played solo or up to 4 players.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you browse the recommendation forum, you will find a few people posting this same question in the last few days. However, here are a few ideas:
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
Pandemic
Arkham Horror
At the Gates of Loyang
Ghost Stories

Also search for GL with solo in the subject line.

Also consider listening to my 1 Player podcast.
http://fractaloon.podbean.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at this GeekList: I Love This Solitaire Game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Figueroa
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks Everyone, and I'm interested in any types of games. War, Fantasy, etc. love them all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy the solo rules for Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm. Another one with pretty good solo rules is Mousquetaires du Roy. Also, DungeonQuest (third edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
No multiplayer, but a good solo game is Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone's mentioned the usual suspects. Some personal comments:

If you like Gears of War, you will enjoy Space Hulk: Death Angel the card game. It's the same designer and there are some similarities (many differences though). like Gears, it's also scalable from 1 to 4 players. It's difficult too.

Mage Knight is exceptional. Very fun, deep game that requires a lot of thought. Works well solo or with 2/3. I think with 4 players it runs a little long.

I absolutely love Race for the Galaxy but there's no way I'd put in the effort for the physical solo game (it requires managing a bot with special rules). Playing this one with Keldon's AI is a much better solution and is exactly the same as if you were playing with others. If you try this game out and put in the effort to learn it, there's a high probability you will get hooked and want to pick it up for multiplayer. It's pretty cheap and offers tons of replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

I absolutely love Race for the Galaxy but there's no way I'd put in the effort for the physical solo game (it requires managing a bot with special rules).

There really isn't much effort involved . . . I get through these solo games fairly quickly and with minimal effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
charlest wrote:

I absolutely love Race for the Galaxy but there's no way I'd put in the effort for the physical solo game (it requires managing a bot with special rules).

There really isn't much effort involved . . . I get through these solo games fairly quickly and with minimal effort.

Hear, hear! How lazy does one have to be for solo RftG to be too much effort? You just slap down the solo game board and a couple chits and start playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not on general release yet, but Zombicide rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:
charlest wrote:

Hear, hear! How lazy does one have to be for solo RftG to be too much effort? You just slap down the solo game board and a couple chits and start playing.

It's not about laziness, it's about the fact that I can play 3 games before you dig your game out, separate the components, shuffle cards, find starting planets, etc.

I see how some may find the satisfaction of handling the components, but I'm just interested in playing the game. No use in spending time to do setup the game when I can be playing with that limited free time instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like paragraph or rpg style games try Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game. It has high replayability and really feels like the tv shows, although it has reportedly been enjoyed by players with no knowledge of the franchise.

It also has numerous expansions. Oh and its free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cubiks wrote:
Thanks Everyone, and I'm interested in any types of games. War, Fantasy, etc. love them all...

There's tons of war games that can be played solo since they can be played 1-2 player and if it's a two player one you can just play both sides since each army will be distinct.

Two player fantasy that I solo with is Summoner Wars. For sci-fi, Earth Reborn. War games, Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles and Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42. I'm getting Strike of the Eagle before Awakening the Bear, but the bluffing aspect in SotE might be harder to pull off when you are doing solo play for obvious reasons unless you are willing to play ignorant of the other side. SotE and BoB:SE are streamlined with smaller rule books so they will be easier to get into for new war gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
I play my games solo most of the time, and I can suggest Mage Knight Board Game. You already have Gears of War, so I don't need to tell you how much I love that one. You should also check out Thunderbolt Apache Leader if you like wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cubiks wrote:

Keep your eyes open or pre-order the next printing of D-Day at Omaha Beach it's amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Thunderbolt Apache Leader

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mendez
United States
Eau Claire
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
-Pandemic - Cooperative, but plays well solo.
-Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game - Fun solo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
basm22 wrote:
-Pandemic - Cooperative, but plays well solo.
-Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game - Fun solo!

I forgot about Fortune and Glory!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed Space Hulk: Death Angel. A steal for the price. In fact, I might go play it right now.

Race for the Galaxy vs. Keldon's AI is really fun too, but I don't consider that solo play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.