Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug writes:

A light Knizia game, from Hans im Gluck's "Junior" series to close the evening. This is a game where four expeditions are trying to reach the foot of that mountain in Africa which I cannot spell. There are 100 spaces from the start to the finish, and movement is governed by three cards face up in front of the players.

The cards come in four suits of 14, numbered 1 to 7 twice. If there are two or three cards of a suit, you add those numbers together for your movement allowance, otherwise you movement is simply your highest card. Before you move, however, you must play a card onto one of your three cards OR on a player who is ahead of you, thus altering movement allowances. This is a nifty mechanic and makes up 90% of the game!

The remaining 10% belongs to a nice memory element. Players are dealt four chips each which they take turns in placing face down on the board in any spaces they like. If a chip is landed on, it is flipped up and actioned. They may be bananas (move again), lions (move back to previous village), or exchange positions with another player (yeah!).

Our game saw Roger literally bolt out of the blocks thanks to a very nice 3 card match giving him juicy a juicy movement allowance. This couldn't continue so Dey and I started hampering Roger, which allowed Alan to close. I hit some cunningly placed bananas to get me up to the back of the pack, then found a swap positions which I used to give me the lead, along with many apologies to Roger!

I was now a target, and couldn't hit anyone as they were all behind me. That allowed the pack to close again, but thanks to some nice card pickups, Alan and I shot out to the lead. The pack ran out, which led to a swift check of the rules - closest to the end wins, with higher movement allowance breaking ties. I made a lunge at a face down chit, hoping that it was bananas to get me to the finish line, but it was a lion so back I went.

In the end, we ran out of cards, with the results being:
Dey & Alan: 93 each, tied on movement allowance as well
Doug: 86
Roger: 77

Doug's rating: 6

That's it for the evening! Hopefully some Essen games can make it to Alan's next week....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.