Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike MacDonald
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any hardcore nerd who’s played the Zombies!!! boardgame knows that the most excited aspect is the 100 plastic zombie figures that come in the box. Gods know that I’ve relied on them for D&D miniatures more than once. While the rules and overall gameplay of Zombies!!! is a bit pedestrian and can drag if you’ve got a big group, the game is still fun and is ripe for variants, mods, and all kinds of crazy house rules. So, here’s my take on some rules that give the game a bit more complexity, speed things up a bit, and otherwise make the butcher of zombies a more scholarly endeavor:

1. Break out your ol’ D&D multi-sided dice and use a d8 for christ’s sake! This makes movement across the bored a bit more flexible as sometimes a d6 just can’t cut it. Rolling a 1 or 2 more often means extra turns and longer gameplay. We tried a d10, but it seemed to be a bit much. Hopefully d8 hits the sweet spot.

2. Make a f’ing Michael Jackson Zombie! One of my expansions came with a blank street tile, so I have made it a “T” crossing and wrote Thriller!!! on the m’fer. Now, when you draw that special tile, you put Thriller on your stereo, and put your DIY red and black custom painted MJ zombie out there on the dance floor. You know no mere mortal can resist…

3. To get a bit more technical….I have three of the expansions in addition the second edition of the core game. I got the Mall and the Military base plus the 3.5 extra cards pack. That’s a lotta cards and tiles to work with.

I’ve decided to try and separate the card into 3 different decks: Events, Actions, and Weapons.

Events: These are cards that seemingly apply to everyone, or if drawn, could be applied to one’s self. My variant rule is that if a player rolls a 1 for movement, they must draw an event card that is applied immediately. This is similar to a “critical miss” in D&D. I MAY make this a roll of a “6” (or an “8” if it’s a d8 for movement). It depends - should more bad stuff happen to those that roll a 1, or should it happen to those that can move about the board more easily by rolling the max? We’ll playtest it and get back to ya.

Actions: These are the bulk of the cards and are played according to the normal rules.

Weapons: Instead of drawing a card and then waiting until you also pull the tile/building it goes with (which might never come up if you’re using a couple of expansions), put all weapon cards (grenades too!) in a pile. If a player goes into a building, clears it of Zombies, then they may draw one weapon card and put into play immediately. Doesn’t matter what building or what weapon. This makes weapons a bit more available and can maybe off-set some of the bad stuff that will happen in the Event deck.

So, what do you think? I haven’t put these rules into play yet, but hopefully will try them soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
interesting ideas, I like the idea to draw the weapons and get them easier

and of course the MJ needs a silver glove ...
and a whole horde of dancing zombies ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that idea on weapons. I was going to do a shorter game variant with fewer tiles for my next game. To accomplish this I planned to sort out the tiles, and make sure that the cards for weapons matched what tiles were in the game. Your idea is soooo much easier, far less fiddling. Gives one a reason to clear a building. So you've changed my mind. I'm doing this next time.

Let us know on the d8, how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacDonald
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scout13 wrote:

and of course the MJ needs a silver glove ...
and a whole horde of dancing zombies ...

I'll post a pic of my MJ zombie soon, but BGG keeps rejecting it because it's blurry. True, my camera phone is terrible.

here's a link though:
http://mikii08.tumblr.com/image/29283514675

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacDonald
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CyberGarp wrote:
I like that idea on weapons. I was going to do a shorter game variant with fewer tiles for my next game. To accomplish this I planned to sort out the tiles, and make sure that the cards for weapons matched what tiles were in the game. Your idea is soooo much easier, far less fiddling. Gives one a reason to clear a building. So you've changed my mind. I'm doing this next time.

Let us know on the d8, how it works.

Ya d10 worked well until the helicopter pad was placed. Then it gave an unfair advantage. BUT, glad everyone seems to like the weapon card ideas. I love the 2 expansions I have, but when we've played, people kept drawing cards they couldn't use, and everyone was discarding a lot...I thought this would make better use of the cards, maybe add a little more strategy AND chaos. heh. hope to play again soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
What about using a 4dF, aka Fudge dice? http://www.google.com/url?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fudge_(role-playing_game_system)%23Fudge_dice&rct=j&q=fudge+dice&usg=AFQjCNHHvaAo7kGjNoPe6L9BO8ZMJT2oYQ&sa=X&ei=yJUqUNy7CseSswa64IHwAQ&ved=0CFEQygQwAA

Then it at 4, count pluses as +1, and minuses as -1. This makes the maximum 8 and the minimum 0, with either being a rare chance. Of course this messes up your critical failure pile.

I do like the idea of a critical failure on move (a 1) getting to draw an event card. Especially if the person drawing gets to apply it as he desires. Thus failing to move might actually be a good things at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacDonald
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this Fudge thing looks really cool! It'd be fun to do a mini rpg using all the Zombies figures and tiles (i've seen some variations online).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Games: Design 'em, rewrite 'em, play 'em!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiyouthere1 wrote:
One thing I can't work out is what to do with ending the game by killing 25 zombies. I like having an alternate means to win, but in the few games we've played that's how each game has ended.

Have a look at my 2nd slice rules. You no longer win by getting the trophy limit. Instead trophies at that level allow you to go into "a frenzy", giving you move and combat bonuses but causing you to lose some of your trophies. It makes it more likely you will get to the helicopter first but is no guarantee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.