Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have looked thru the FAQ and previous threads and have found no answer to the following:

1. pg 4 creating attack stacks indicates that you can 'include any ONE enhancement'; pg8 key concepts states that you can 'use any one enhancement'. These are contradictory in my view and bring up some sub-questions:

1a. If a Lume has an enhancement, but it's not going to be used, can it be 'included' in a stack? Some sticklers will use pg 4 to say no; I don't think that's right based on the key concept page citation; and the fact that I might be including the lume for say his military rating and using the enhancement from another in that particular stack.

1b. So, if one can play more than one 'enhancement' lume in a stack does one have to pre-determine which one is used in resolution?
ex. I have an attack stack with 3 possible enhancements in it; I declare that an enhancement will be used; stacks are revealed....when/how do I show the enhancement? My presumption again is attacker, then defender; but one could say turn order, reverse turn order, or that the enhancement to be used is the one immediately below the action card in the stack; thereby being pre-determined on reveal.

2. Enhancement usage in a census; based on the reading of many of the cards, most can only be used in an 'action'; and a census is not an action, even though it takes the place of one. For an enhancement to be used in a census, it must state that on the lume's card.

Think that's all that I had immediate questions on regarding enhancements
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any stack can only use one enhancement. However, if you want to include other enhancement cards for just their values in the upper left corner that is fine. When you reveal the stack, say which card you are using as an enhancement (no need to declare before you reveal the stack) thereby indicating any other enhancement cards are merely a vanilla luminary adding its value.

For attacks, the rules are very clear on the order of reveal broken down as thus:

1. Attacker declares that he is attacking (reveal attack action) but NOT the rest of the stack. Declare how many luminaries you will be using, if you will be using an enhancement (again no need to declare which one if you have multiples) and how much money you will use.

2. Defender declares their number of luminaries they will use in defense, if they will use an enhancement and how much money.

3. Go around table in player order from attacker seeing if any allies wish to contribute money or luminaries in defense.

4. Reveal stacks declaring your enhancement of choice. Count up and roll for victory!

As for Question #2, I want to say that there are some enhancements that help out censuses. I was almost certain that you can use the ones that say "if played with an action that gives X (ie science), gain 1 more" to increase your science gain if you win the science census but I guess I could use a clarification on that as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Steven,

Thanks for the reply; I haven't played yet, but wish to answer these before play to avoid bad 'habits' getting ingrained and to avoid misplay and therefore a bad first experience.

regarding the timing of enhancement declaration; I was aware of the sequence of the resolution. I was just thinking that there might be times where you might end up in a decision loop....where both powers have choices on enhancements to make....and possibly that choice could hinge on what the opponent choice was...
An example might be where one has an enhancement that might convert attack to negotiation...but the opponent has one that bumps up his POL points in negotiation(I think I saw one like that)....I don't wish to use mine if he is just going to use his. Without some sort of stated order/procedure to this it might end up in loop..."you declare...no, you first...etc".

Regarding the census/action usage; there's the one Art Fav that specifically states his use in an action or a census; which led me to the 'an enhancement for an action cannot be used in a census' statement.

While I'm here, another one popped up; an enhancement that doesn't get 'triggered' would return to your hand as I read it.
An example might be to include an enhancement that reads 'if you advance Catholicism, gain x' in an attack stack that is targeting an anti-catholic city. If you don't gain the city, you don't gain the catholic advance, thereby not triggering the enhancement; thereby it doesn't impact the action(as stated in sidebar pg4) and it's returned to hand. I think that's a correct interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Pizarro
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

The page 8 interpretation is correct. You can have more than one enhancement in stack, but you may only use one. You can absolutely play multiple cards that are "enhancement" cards in a stack (for their military ratings, for example).

You just can't use more than one enhancement per action.

1b. So, if one can play more than one 'enhancement' lume in a stack does one have to pre-determine which one is used in resolution? ex. I have an attack stack with 3 possible enhancements in it; I declare that an enhancement will be used; stacks are revealed....when/how do I show the enhancement?

If you have multiple enhancements in the stack you can pick your enhancement upon reveal. The order of operations would follow the battle order of operations of: attacker then defender.

Enhancement usage in a census; based on the reading of many of the cards, most can only be used in an 'action'; and a census is not an action, even though it takes the place of one. For an enhancement to be used in a census, it must state that on the lume's card.

This is correct. A census is a separate/distinct thing that is not an 'action'.

An example might be where one has an enhancement that might convert attack to negotiation...but the opponent has one that bumps up his Political points in negotiation(I think I saw one like that)....I don't wish to use mine if he is just going to use his. Without some sort of stated order/procedure to this it might end up in loop..."you declare...no, you first...etc".

In a battle the order is always as above. Attacker triggers first, then defender.

While I'm here, another one popped up; an enhancement that doesn't get 'triggered' would return to your hand as I read it. An example might be to include an enhancement that reads 'if you advance Catholicism, gain x' in an attack stack that is targeting an anti-catholic city. If you don't gain the city, you don't gain the catholic advance, thereby not triggering the enhancement; thereby it doesn't impact the action(as stated in sidebar pg4) and it's returned to hand. I think that's a correct interpretation.

Yes, it is correct. The rule was written for a different use case - closing the loophole that a player could stack cards in actions that are irrelevant in order to clear their hand - but in this case, yes, the enhancement fails to trigger you get the card back..unless of course you also used the card's ratings for, say, a military action.

Hope that helps.

bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.