Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just wish to clarify Spain's power: that it begins the game with a full treasury of 20 rather than the 1/2 treasury that all others do. Or should it have read 'once per game begin a turn with your full treasury'?
If the former, it brings up several points:

1. is there any conceivable reason for Spain NOT to activate this power?

2. is there any timing on this? Before or after card draws? If I see Spain with 20 coin, I might have more incentive to dig in the military deck for pirates, or some other coin stealers. Or if after cards drawn, Spain might see how many Mil cards were drawn and make decision then.

3. If after card draws, is this a cancelable power? As in I drew Cardinal Mazarin, can I response card this and prevent it? While I can't see another Catholic power messing with Spain in this regard, would like to know if it's an option.

4. In a prior example in the walkthru, Banchem is used to remove a French Favorite; could Louis use his once power to change that to an exhaust result; in effect cancelling the play of Banchem? And in that case, would Banchem still be removed himself, even though the 'target' wasn't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Pizarro
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rob. Yes, Spain starts the game w/ 20 coin.

1. is there any conceivable reason for Spain NOT to activate this power?

It could make Spain an early target for pirate/colonial cards. But usually no. Gimme the cash!

It IS optional though.

2. is there any timing on this? Before or after card draws?

You should follow the setup steps in the book, so it would be before card draws.

3. If after card draws, is this a cancelable power? As in I drew Cardinal Mazarin, can I response card this and prevent it?

Ohh..sneaky idea but no; Spain gets its money.

4. In a prior example in the walkthru, Banchem is used to remove a French Favorite; could Louis use his once power to change that to an exhaust result; in effect cancelling the play of Banchem? And in that case, would Banchem still be removed himself, even though the 'target' wasn't?

Ah, a very good question that I will add to the FAQ. No, the Louis power is meant to exhaust a played card rather than remove it. The spirit of the power is to allow France to keep a powerful 'remove' card in its deck.

Banchem is already targeting an exhausted card to begin with. Man..I like the way you think though!

--bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.