Norway
Notodden
Telemark
flag msg tools
I game...
badge
...and I'm a gnome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Call of Cthulhu RPG, Arkham Horror and read a comic called "Lovecraft" which was great. However, I have not read any of the novels and would like to have a go at them since I find the universe incredibly facinating.

Now, I have heard that some find them a bit of a dry and slow read. I don't read that many books and prefer the lighter stuff. Also, I have no idea where I should start when it comes to Lovecraft and the Cthulhu universe.

So, that's why I decided to come here since I'm guessing I'll find lots of Lovecraft fans on this forum and hopefull you're willing to help with some tips and pointers. Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reed makamson
United States
Vallejo
California
flag msg tools
My favorite is a lovecraft anthology called Waking Up Screaming. It's quite light, each story is about 25-50 pages. It contains shadow over innsmouth, dagon, from beyond, the unnamable, the cool air, and other lesser-known stories. A strange flaw/boon to the book is the shorter stories feel half-finished, which for me, sends my imagination going in many directions, making up my own expositions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can get all of them as free epub (legally).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Mythos Reader - The Fiction of Lovecraft and His Circle Free On The Web

I like the collections by MobileReference and CthulhuChick

I find the Encyclopedia by David E. Schultz and S. T. Joshi to be a great disappointment (at least in ebook format on the Kindle)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Lovecraft never wrote any novels. He only wrote short stories. A few of them are around 100 pages (Mountains of Madness, Shadow Over Innsmouth, etc.). Even the short stories aren't light reading though. Based on what you said, I'd actually recommend the Arkham Horror novels put out by FFG (Ghouls of the Miskatonic and Dance of the Damned and their sequels). They're CoC mythos but they're much easier to read and they feature characters from the Arkham Horror boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steward
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of Lovecraft's works are short stories, not full-sized novels; they range from a couple of pages to about 80 pages. He frequently wrote stories for science-fiction magazines and similar. You can usually buy one book (including ebooks) and get pretty much every popular story he ever wrote in one book.

I have found that my favorite stories that he wrote are the ones that are more on the horror end of the spectrum and less on the science fiction end. The horror stuff to me stood the test of time better. If you aren't going to plow through a whole book of his works and want to cherry pick here are a few I would recommend:

- The Statement from Randolph Carter
- Herbert West - Reanimator
- The Lurking Fear
- The Unnamable
- In the Vault
- The Outsider
- The Color Out of Space
- Pickman's Model
- The Call of Cthulhu
- The Dunwich Horror
- The Whisperer in Darkness
- The Shadow Over Innsmouth
- The Haunter of the Dark
- The Thing on the Doorstep
- The Case of Charles Dexter Ward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If it's light reading you want, then Lovecraft's not your man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
His complete works can be found here:

http://www.com.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft

Some of the stories are a little easier to get through than others, but as you gain experience with his style you can always go back if you hit one you can't follow.

Well, the link refuses to function, but if you google the above URL, you'll get there.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Lovecraft's prose is as dense as some people make out. The good thing is, his stories are pretty short and can be read pretty quickly.

Call of Cthulhu, Dunwich Horror and Shadow over Innsmouth are probably the most related to Arkham Horror. There are comic book versions of most stories that are also pretty well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Notodden
Norway
Notodden
Telemark
flag msg tools
I game...
badge
...and I'm a gnome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the helpful replies guys! Pure awesome! Now I have something to go on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always found Lovecraft pretty light reading. It's pulp fiction of variable quality and shouldn't be a taxing read for anyone.

It's not great literature but definately a fascinating universe and there are some good stories - my personal favourite is The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Adam Steward, in his post above, identifies pretty much all the best short stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

Thanks for the plug,Mccrispy!

And if anyone knows some I missed, please add them to the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:
I always found Lovecraft pretty light reading. It's pulp fiction of variable quality and shouldn't be a taxing read for anyone.

It's not great literature but definately a fascinating universe and there are some good stories - my personal favourite is The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Adam Steward, in his post above, identifies pretty much all the best short stories.

I think the issue is that his writing is in a style of prose that isn't in common usage now, and takes greater attention to parse and comprehend. To me, light reading is a much more casual activity. I enjoy reading Lovecraft, but if my mind starts to wander I won't have any idea what I've just read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Konior
Australia
Swan View
WA
flag msg tools
mb
I started reading Lovecraft after playing a few games of Arkham Horror, and I don't think it's dry at all. The stories suck you in and keep you turning the pages and they're also usually short enough to do in a sitting even if you're ADD. I don't like eBooks so I bought the hardcover Necronomicon Commemorative Edition instead, which is a really nice one IMHO - get a bookmark though.

cornjob wrote:
I think the issue is that his writing is in a style of prose that isn't in common usage now, and takes greater attention to parse and comprehend.

Not just that but sadly Lovecraft has long been inaccessible to the multitude of non-native English speakers, even those who could read any other modern English book. I have my doubts about the current Facebook generation too ;-)

I think in a few decades, it's going to be as impossible to decipher as the original Shakespeare. Who wants to do a 'paraphrased' edition of Lovecraft?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cody_au wrote:

cornjob wrote:
I think the issue is that his writing is in a style of prose that isn't in common usage now, and takes greater attention to parse and comprehend.

Not just that but sadly Lovecraft has long been inaccessible to the multitude of non-native English speakers, even those who could read any other modern English book. I have my doubts about the current Facebook generation too ;-)

I think in a few decades, it's going to be as impossible to decipher as the original Shakespeare. Who wants to do a 'paraphrased' edition of Lovecraft?
For me the problem is not with his language as with his sexism, racism and intellectual elitism. Some of it is a reflection of his times but he goes further than I make allowance for and I frequently encounter that "jolt" where I say to myself "did he really just say that, is that really what he meant?". Neverthess, it would be hard to "sanitise" his works and still maintain the HPL "feel".

If you want a more modern language (along with one that meshes more closely with modern sensibilities) take on the Cthulhu Mythos (not necessarily an "easier" read) then I'd highly recommend New Cthulhu: The Recent Weird it has a modern take on the subject by such luminaries as China Mieville and Neil Gaiman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for some of Lovecraft's shorter and more accessible reads, I would recommend the following as good choices:

Dagon
The Other Gods
Pickman's Model
The Rats in the Walls
In the Vault

Also, though the stories below are a bit longer, they are very absorbing reads and full of the kind of mystery and excitement that begs you to read on:

The Shadow Over Innsmouth
The Dunwich Horror
The Call of Cthulhu
The Temple

I don't find Lovecraft terribly dry or offensive to read. Yes, his work is both slightly linguistically and culturally dated on a few occasions but that's really part of what makes it interesting. You feel like you are experiencing a different time and place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AKQJX
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HPpodcraft.com is what I've been listening to for a while and the shows are really quite good. However, this particular podcast does not read stories in their entirety in order to keep each show at typically a half hour. The hosts cover a large biographical scope along the way, which makes a potentially dull read still entertaining. There are over a hundred now with all the great classics and bad throwaways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bohnet
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The anthology "Spawn of Cthulhu" is kind of neat in the relationships it establishes in the mythos. Pick it up if you ever happen to see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donovan K. Loucks
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
His complete works can be found here:

http://www.com.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft

Some of the stories are a little easier to get through than others, but as you gain experience with his style you can always go back if you hit one you can't follow.

Well, the link refuses to function, but if you google the above URL, you'll get there.

Brian

The link doesn't work because you had an extra ".com" in there. This is the correct link:

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft

However, the texts at my site are textually correct and aren't in that hard-to-read-white-text-on-a-black-background style:

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

My site also has the text of 38 additional stories...and 49 poems...and seven essays...

In addition, I conducted a survey asking visitors for their favorite stories. It might give you some ideas of where to start:

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/favorites.asp

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
DonovanLoucks wrote:
However, the texts at my site are textually correct and aren't in that hard-to-read-white-text-on-a-black-background style:

My site also has the text of 38 additional stories...and 49 poems...and seven essays...

Wait, your site? I've been reading all of his works from there, thanks a lot for hosting it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foksieloy wrote:
DonovanLoucks wrote:

Wait, your site? I've been reading all of his works from there, thanks a lot for hosting it!

Hi,

I teach English, play Arkham Horror, and my students like this story and find it more accessible than some pieces that Lovecraft wrote solo. Here's the link, on the excellent lovecraft.com fiction site:

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/cb.asp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ramey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
postm wrote:

Now, I have heard that some find them a bit of a dry and slow read. I don't read that many books and prefer the lighter stuff. Also, I have no idea where I should start when it comes to Lovecraft and the Cthulhu universe.

I have found that all of the Penguin Classics' collections of Lovecraft's writings are incredible for several reasons. Firstly, and perhaps most importantly for you, the collections have varying lengths (from 3 pages - 100 pages) of stories within the collection; secondly, all the stories in one collection are on a theme of Lovecraft's work (The Dreams in the Witch House and Other Weird Stories collection is mostly centered around his dream cycle and more fantastic stories); and thirdly, each story has several footnotes, tied to several pages of notes in the back of each book which explains things that may seem confusing or vague, all written by S.T. Joshi, the premier Lovecraft scholar.

It's how I got started with Lovecraft, and I've found that I like these over the Arkham House publications. Each collection is ~$15, and comes with ~20 stories. Based on your experience with the Lovecraft mythos, I'd suggest getting The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories, which has most of his classics centered around the Cthulhu mythos.

Hope you fall in love with his works like I have!

edit: Suggested book can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/Cthulhu-Stories-Penguin-Twentieth-Cent...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Penguin Classics are always nicely collected and very, very well edited with scholarly introductions and background discussions.

Of course, many of HPLs writings are available at the lovecraft.com site.

A Lovecraftian circle, like the Inklings who surrounded CS Lewis and Tolkein, included notables Robert Howard and August Derleth. They collaborated on stories that were published in Weird Tales and elsewhere.

Happy reading and happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fano Pratchett
United States
flag msg tools
Webhead123 wrote:
If you're looking for some of Lovecraft's shorter and more accessible reads, I would recommend the following as good choices:

Dagon
The Other Gods
Pickman's Model
The Rats in the Walls
In the Vault

Also, though the stories below are a bit longer, they are very absorbing reads and full of the kind of mystery and excitement that begs you to read on:

The Dunwich Horror
The Call of Cthulhu
The Temple

I don't find Lovecraft terribly dry or offensive to read. Yes, his work is both slightly linguistically and culturally dated on a few occasions but that's really part of what makes it interesting. You feel like you are experiencing a different time and place.

Our group is getting into Arhham Horror in a big way. I'm interested enough to read some of Lovecraft's stories. There are lots of lists, like this one.

I read Call of Cthulhu and was underwhelmed, except for the tentacle squid head that pops up at the front of the boat.

I need something that gets started faster. Where should I start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kring wrote:
Webhead123 wrote:

Dagon
The Other Gods
Pickman's Model
The Rats in the Walls
In the Vault

The Dunwich Horror
The Call of Cthulhu
The Temple

Our group is getting into Arhham Horror in a big way. I'm interested enough to read some of Lovecraft's stories. There are lots of lists, like this one.

I read Call of Cthulhu and was underwhelmed, except for the tentacle squid head that pops up at the front of the boat.

I need something that gets started faster. Where should I start?

Here, try this one, The Challenge From Beyond, free and online here:

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/cb.asp

It's pretty accessible and easy going, as Mythos stories go. It was written by the Lovecraft gang and gets started pretty quickly. It's written in sections by different authors, but don't let that throw you.

If you try it, let us know what you think. Happy reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.