BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Boardgame Tourny's rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Lamy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I just got done watching a monopoly documentary about a world monopoly event. Are there other board game tourny's where people play at the high competitive level? I've googled it, but cant find much in the way of leagues and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only "huge" (national/global) ones that I'm aware of are for the big-boys in the industry - Monopoly, Scrabble, M:TG, Pokemon, and so on.

There are tournaments for us hobby gamers as well but for the most part they seem to be restricted to taking place entirely at one event/convention...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, as was said above, there are tournaments at different conventions, but not national events that proclaim a "champion."

I think, though, you will find a "high, competetive level" at some of these events.

I would bet, for example, at something like the WBC, you get the finest players in the country for certain games.

There is no way to formally establish this, of course, since there is no "objective" league. But some of those players have been playing the same games for 15 or 20 years and traveling annualy to compete in them.

As I say, there is no way to formally verify this, but I think the pool of players in something like Twilight Struggle or Paths of Glory represents the best you could probably find.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See this geeklist:

The Brosius family attends the 2012 World Boardgaming Championships

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I run an online tournament for Pursuit of Glory. Being online it can attract an international following of sorts, but it is generally 20 players or less. This is its third year.

There are also online ladders for things like Twilight Struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ytter wrote:

Well, that's the BPA's championship, the merit of which probably varies depending on who you talk to. For one thing you can only participate if you're a member, and everything they do takes place in Pennsylvania (so how that's a "world" championship kind of eludes me).

I've looked at their web site a number of times and have been tempted by membership just because I thought the label of "member of the Boardgame Player's Association" might be kind of neat, but always conclude it's not worth bothering with if they never sponsor anything that doesn't take place at their own home location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've looked at their web site a number of times and have been tempted by membership just because I thought the label of "member of the Boardgame Player's Association" might be kind of neat, but always conclude it's not worth bothering with if they never sponsor anything that doesn't take place at their own home location.

Well, EuroQuest is in Marlyland, so not everything is is PA.

They also do a bunch of Play-by-mail events.

You're right that the big one is in Lancaster.

I think its "World Boardgaming Championships" in the same hyperbolic vein that we have "World Series" and "World Hotdog Eating Championships."

It just sounds better than "Championship of Whoever Manages to get here on Time to Compete" or "Very Local Championship of only Three Counties in Utah."

Plus, the WBC is actually international. There are many participants that fly in from other countries, so the "World" part isn't just hyperbole.

Oh, and participation automatically confers membership for the year. You don't have to do anything special or go out of your way to become a member...just register for the WBC and it is a done deal. So, it is open to everyone everywhere.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WBC is the big venue/con for many games.

There are other world wide tournaments for specific games.

For example there's the World Wide Catan Championship. In Toronto, you can attend by winning at the qualifying tournament at FanExpo run by FunGamesCafe.

There's a World Carcassonne Championships at Spiel in Essen and invites the best player(s) from 30 different countries. This year they invited a Canadian to participate and the qualifying tournament is being held in Toronto at Snakes and Lattes.

There was a Ticket to Ride World Championship run in 2009. That was cool because the grand prize was a trip on the Orient Express from London to Venice.

On a smaller-than-world scale: in Canada, myself and a number of volunteers have built a national mixed Euro-game non-elimination tournament called The Great Canadian Board Game Blitz. Winning in a local blitz gets you prizes and a pass to FanExpo (in Toronto) to participate in the finals. We're about to wrap up our third season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
natsean wrote:

I would bet, for example, at something like the WBC, you get the finest players in the country for certain games.
n

You ALSO get a lot of crappy players, which means that only
in the final round do you really have a good table.

In some cases, that can make the earlier qualifying rounds
pretty much luck-based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.