Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Ghost Stories» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 questions about Yin-Yang token and 1 question about the Grave Walker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FIRST YY QUESTION: Can a player use the YY token to get the help of the villager on the tile where his taoist IS standing?

The rule book says:

Quote:
Using his Yin-Yang allows the Taoist to get help from any villager without having to be on that villager’s tile...

It does not seem to preclude using the token to get the help from the villager while being ON that villager's tile. It seems natural to me that the answer is "yes", but I would like to check with more experienced players.

SECOND YY QUESTION: In order to turn a haunted tile using the YY token, does the taoist have to be on the haunted tile or can he be anywhere?

I've been playing supposing that the token can turn haunted tiles anywhere (so my answer would be "no"), but it occurred to me that this could be wrong.

GRAVE WALKER QUESTION

This one is very specific. It is Mary's turn, playing yellow. Her board has two ghosts, so she draws a new one. She draws "Coffin Breakers" (yellow) and places it. Her board is now full. Coffin Breakers' immediate ability calls another ghost. Mary draws "Grave Walker" (black). Her board is already full, so she places this ghost on John's board, which has an empty space. The Grave Walker's immediate ability is the loss of one Qi. Who loses Qi in this particular instance: Mary or John?

Thank you for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are playing the Yin-Yang abilities correctly. They can apply to any tile, whether you are on them or not.

For your second situation, I believe the loss of Qi still goes to the active player (Mary). The color of the ghost or the location of placement doesn't change the active player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, I agree with you, it seems natural that Mary (the active player) takes the penalty in my example. But then I read in the "Ghost Stories Unofficial FAQ":

Quote:
Q. Please clarify when the active player or board owner suffers the effects of a ghost.
A. When a ghost enters play, and you put it on the board, the LEFT stone will affect the board you put it on.(...)

...which suggests that John takes the penalty.

It may sound purely academic, but this situation has occurred in a game here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw another FAQ with a different answer, which I based my response on. But I think the answer you copied is correct. I haven't played in a long time, but that is how I recall playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question of who loses Qi is answered in the official Ghost Stories F.A.Q.: "The board owner is subject to its effects".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Left and center stone effects are applied to the board, while right stone effects apply to the active player. The designer's clarification can be seen here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for replying. Looks like it is John who takes the hit in my example, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.