Prophecy
Munchkin
Bang
Dorn
Arkham Horror
Citadels
Descent ( 2nd ed )
Warhammer Invasion

What would you reccomend to get next? I like all of those games. My playgroup is mainly my fionce, but sometimes we get togather with friends, drink a nd play bang and citadels. Dorn, Arkham Horror,Prophecy are not played at all. Which game should i buy next? It should be great for two players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola: All Creatures Big Or Small

Great with two, especially with my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Alhambra - would work well for a couple or with another couple. Fun little tile laying game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan klimus
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
stlkt wrote:
I'd suggest Alhambra - would work well for a couple or with another couple. Fun little tile laying game.

i am too afraid, that it will be too simmillar to carcassone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities is great for two and one of the few my wife actually enjoys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Figueroa
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
D-Day Dice. It's fun and easy to learn. Also, includes solo and it's up to 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan klimus
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agricola seems too ordinary for me, i dont know how to explain it :)

D-Day Dice: I dont like that heavy dice rolling :(

Lost Cities doesnt seem to catch me too :(

Would you guys reccomend Thunderstone Advance? Or Lord of the Rings LCG ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I personally wouldn't recommend Thunderstone, but many would. I found it dull, just goes on with no sense of progression until it ends.

If you want something thematically cool and fantasy fun, nothing comes to mind at the moment (other than Mage Knight, but that game is VERY fiddly). Having said that, I would recommend Homesteaders as a non-gateway game with an excellent auction/engine building mechanic that scales really well from 2-4. This game does similar things to Le Havre and Puerto Rico, only doesn't require you to be super-uber-gamerman to be good at them.

Vinhos is a heavier, though thematic and intuitive, game about producing wine. You need to make sure your wine is aged well, you sell to the right markets, etc, to get the best price. I'd recommend the drive-thru review to watch about it. Also scales well.

Navegador is another very cool game. It's an exploration game and has a really well integrated market mechanic, where you need to watch how the market is doing and try to carve out your own niche (just like real life). It's not a mathy game, despite this. Also simple rules and scales well.

If you want to try a wargame (wait, don't run yet!), look at 1812: The Invasion of Canada. This is a really, really easy game to learn and it plays well 2-5 (more than 2 equals teams!). Don't be put off by the dry looks, it's not Paths of Glory. Don't be put off by the dice, it's not Risk. It's a really well designed wargame that female old farts enjoy (or at least one does).

I'm actually not a fan of the stereotypical dry euro, but those with mechanics that fit the theme get an A+ in my book, and the ones above have caught my eye. Whatever you end up with, enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravmacDaddy wrote:
Agricola: All Creatures Big Or Small

Great with two, especially with my wife.

This. I just got the game yesterday and it plays VERY well with 2...mainly because it's ONLY for 2p
If you're looking for something around the same vein maybe you can try Walnut Grove ? Pergamon and Vikings are some other medium weight euros that I recommend.

If you're looking for something for AT, try GOSU, Seasons (when/if it's out) and Summoner Wars. If you want something more miniature- wise I'll suggest Claustrophobia. Another game I'm looking closely at is Heap, but I haven't played the game myself so I can't say much about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
I personally wouldn't recommend Thunderstone, but many would. I found it dull, just goes on with no sense of progression until it ends.

If you want something thematically cool and fantasy fun, nothing comes to mind at the moment (other than Mage Knight, but that game is VERY fiddly). Having said that, I would recommend Homesteaders as a non-gateway game with an excellent auction/engine building mechanic that scales really well from 2-4. This game does similar things to Le Havre and Puerto Rico, only doesn't require you to be super-uber-gamerman to be good at them.

Vinhos is a heavier, though thematic and intuitive, game about producing wine. You need to make sure your wine is aged well, you sell to the right markets, etc, to get the best price. I'd recommend the drive-thru review to watch about it. Also scales well.

Navegador is another very cool game. It's an exploration game and has a really well integrated market mechanic, where you need to watch how the market is doing and try to carve out your own niche (just like real life). It's not a mathy game, despite this. Also simple rules and scales well.

If you want to try a wargame (wait, don't run yet!), look at 1812: The Invasion of Canada. This is a really, really easy game to learn and it plays well 2-5 (more than 2 equals teams!). Don't be put off by the dry looks, it's not Paths of Glory. Don't be put off by the dice, it's not Risk. It's a really well designed wargame that female old farts enjoy (or at least one does).

I'm actually not a fan of the stereotypical dry euro, but those with mechanics that fit the theme get an A+ in my book, and the ones above have caught my eye. Whatever you end up with, enjoy!

I will also put in my highest recommendation for Homesteaders. Even if you don't like auctions, it is still possible to like this game because the auction is very controlled compared to other auction games. Plus the cows actually look like cows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Brown
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bendercz wrote:
stlkt wrote:

i am too afraid, that it will be too simmillar to carcassone

It has tiles which you lay on the table. The similarity with Carcassonne ends there. Totally different games with almost nothing in common. Alhambra has a 2 player version which works quite well.

How about Stone Age. Excellent game which also works well as 2 player

Or Dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone is a very good deck-building game, and I do think it would work very well for you. Don't know about the advance version, but the basic version is at least very good. Works great with two, and with more players. You can try it for free on Yucata.de.

Summoner Wars is another very good two player game in a Fantasy setting. You might want to buy the Summoner Wars: Master Set to get the mounted board. This one you can try on your iDevice, if you have one.

I have a feeling you prefer games with a theme other than the standard medieval European setting. I have a hard time thinking of games that both play well with two and have a theme that is interesting for you. If you don't mind cooperative games, Ghost Stories is a great game in a Chinese setting with absolutely beautiful artwork. Plays great with 2-4 players. Lords of Waterdeep has a D&D setting, but is apart from that very much a eurogame and is better with more than two players. Great game, but might be too euro for you.

Any theme in particular you would be interested in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
All I know is that there really aren't any great 2 player games that also scale well for a group that plays Bang and Citadel ... so I will recommend a couple of new games for your larger group:

Dice Town
Magical Athlete

Both Fun ... Both best with 5 or so players. You can add more to Dicetown with the expansion (which is excellent anyway).

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Kielly
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:

If you're looking for something for AT, try GOSU, Seasons (when/if it's out) and Summoner Wars.

JFTR: GOSU and Seasons are basically tableau building games. I initially loved GOSU - but found it was very light on interaction. Seasons is (IMO) the more enjoyable of the two.
Summoner Wars is a must have - arguably a classic, very strong design, lot's of variation and replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion was my introduction to gaming 8 months ago (along with Carcassonne) and my girlfriend still loves Dominion above all else. Carcassonne fell by the wayside very quickly.

I would recommend looking at the following as great games which are light enough for non-gamers but have great depth if you wish to explore them more. They all scale very well from 2 player upwards.

Kingdom Builder
Thurn and Taxis
Flash Point: Fire Rescue

For a party game, after-dinner game, group of non-gamers/family game, I would strongly recommend looking at:

Dixit

For just the two of you, the following was a big hit for me and my girlfriend:

Mr. Jack

But our absolute favourite is Agricola. Shame you've discounted it - I can't praise it enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan klimus
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for so many reccomenendations, took me loots of time to get through them.

But frankly you game me so many good ideas that i cant decide again :D

Maybe i just have to buy them all and dont look back :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bendercz wrote:
… Dorn, Arkham Horror,Prophecy are not played at all. Which game should i buy next? It should be great for two players!

These are the 3 great games. Play them! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.