Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ransom
Per 5.4; "If any of your leaders are held prisoner, you may let your opponent draw one of your cards in exchange for one captured leader"

(see also 8.1 and 13.6)

Are you allowed to look at your cards before you decide if you want to ransom your leader?

Musturing in a Neutral Province
Per 9.1 (bold by me); "If a province or space with a stronghold controlled by the Neutral Power is entered by a player's units ... the Neutral Power automatically and instantly shifts its allegiance to the other Player"

Say you control a castle in the Province of a neutral Power (as is the case at the beginning of scenario B), if you muster into that castle space does the allegiance of the Neutral Power shift to your opponent?

Diplomatic Advantage
Per 9.3 (bold by me); "If you capture a stronghold that is also a victory space ... If you successfully assault a castle that is not a VP space ..."

Does that mean that you always roll for Diplomatic Advantage after gaining control of a VP space, but you only roll of Diplomatic Advantage if you gain control of a non-VP space if you successfully assault it (but not if you capture it by surrender)?

Thanks,
Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Williams
msg tools
Hello.

I'll have a go at answering these.

The second question is addressed in the errata/clarifications:

9.1 A neutral Power’s neutrality is violated if you enter a space with one of its Strongholds or if you enter a space in a province it controls that does not have a Stronghold belonging to another Power.

I guess this would also apply if a unit 'entered' by being mustered there, so it wouldn't violate the neutrality.

As for the first question (about ransom), a strict reading of the rules in 13.6 suggests that the random card is chosen before the leader's owner sees his hand.

And for the Diplomatic Advantage question, again I'd go for a strict reading of the rules and assume that the uses of the words 'capture' and 'assault' in their respective rules sections are deliberate choices on the part of the designer (otherwise how could one trust what's written in any other part of the rulebook?). Thematically, perhaps forcing the instant surrender of a castle is less impressive to other powers than doing the same to a big city like Acre or Jerusalem.

Andrew W
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sisyphean Gamestacker
United States
Taylors
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can go either way on whether you can look at your cards or not, but I, personally, don't think there's a "strict" interpretation of the random draw rule to be had. 5.3 says "you may let your opponent draw one of your cards in exchange for one captured leader," then 8.1 says "The Christian player draws a card, then the Muslim player, and so on . . ." These would suggest that you might let your opponent draw straight from the deck, but 13.6 says that the random draw is done after you've received your hand. We've been dealing the cards instead of following the draw procedure from 8.1, but I know that it would seem unnatural to me to draw your cards one at a time without looking at them, and 13.6 says that the card is drawn randomly after cards are drawn. Also, 13.6 uses drawn and dealt interchangeably, which is how we've been approaching it, but not necessarily what a "strict" interpretation of 8.1 allows. Finally, why wouldn't you just adjust the number of cards dealt (or drawn) if you didn't actually get to look at your hand before you decided?

I can see where the rule could be that you need to declare before the cards are drawn/dealt that you will be ransoming a leader, but that isn't the rule, as far as I can tell. Presumably, you wait until the draw stage to ransom because the sequence requires that your ransomed leader doesn't enter your force pool until all of your mustering units for the turn have left it.

I also don't know why ransoming your leader would be done without knowing your resources -- one would imagine the "real" situation would involve an agreed-upon ransom, not an offer that your opponent show up and take a random amount of treasure from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Williams
msg tools
Hello.

The rule I meant was in 13.6. It says

'A player may ransom one prisoner each turn immediately after cards are dealt.'

It was that word 'immediately' that made me think one shouldn't look at one's cards first. But I'm probably reading far too much into that one sentence and I agree that it would make much more sense if one could see one's resources before deciding on whether or not to buy back a leader.

Andrew W
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott de Brestian
United States
Mt. Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Immediately just means you can't ransom in the middle of a turn after you've used your good cards. You definitely can look at your cards to decide if the potential "price" is worth it. It is certainly design for effect, but if we left it up to the players they would never accept anything other than an exorbitant ransom, which is not appropriate for the era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott de Brestian
United States
Mt. Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Say you control a castle in the Province of a neutral Power (as is the case at the beginning of scenario B), if you muster into that castle space does the allegiance of the Neutral Power shift to your opponent?

No. See the errata (summarized above) which I will post today.

Quote:

Per 9.3 (bold by me); "If you capture a stronghold that is also a victory space ... If you successfully assault a castle that is not a VP space ..."

Does that mean that you always roll for Diplomatic Advantage after gaining control of a VP space, but you only roll of Diplomatic Advantage if you gain control of a non-VP space if you successfully assault it (but not if you capture it by surrender)?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.