Subject: Scenario 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now played this scenario twice as the Soviets, against two different opponents as the Poles. The early phase of the scenario (before the arrival of the Konarmiya) seems hopeless for the Reds.

In both games, the Poles easily opened a huge hole right in the middle of the line. Three adjacent cities on the front, Korosten, Romaniv, and Baranivka, are manned by single under-strength blocks that get pummeled in the opening moves. As a result I've scrambled to retreat and just hold a continuous front until the cavalry arrives.

In the first game, the poles were able to fix and destroy my forces piecemeal, so that when the cavalry arrived there were hardly any Soviet forces left, and the cavalry was outnumbered and destroyed as well.

In the second game only a Polish mistake saved my army. My opponent pushed a four block attack into Berdychiv, but also moved four blocks into the only space the original blocks could have retreated back to. I pulled out the heavy artillery and managed a tie (a defender win) and 3 of the 4 blocks were thus captured (the fourth, a cavalry unit, retreated two spaces to safety). That was a crippling loss that evened out the odds until the Cavalry Army arrived, and they were able to hold the line and eke out a 1 point Soviet win (they even managed to cut off and destroy by supply check three more Polish units by the end of the game). But without that blunder and it's 3 point gain for me, I would have lost the game.

I wonder if I'm misplaying the opening. I never had a chance with the cavalry army to punch a hole in the Polish line and make a run for Lviv or anything. All the cavalry seems to do is stabilize the front so you can stop retreating. Of course what isn't helping is the designed imbalance of the cards. Reflecting their professional military and better trained officers, their battle modifier numbers average higher than the Soviets. Where I was always drawing 1's and 2's, my opponents were more regularly drawing 3's and the occasional 4. So before your reinforcements arrive, it seems impossible to win a battle. I don't think in either game I ever held the initiative for a single phase. The Poles start at initiative 1, but can quickly get it to 2 and maybe even 3, so even the rare win doesn't flip it back to the Soviet side. It's brutal. Has anyone had better luck with the Soviets in this scenario?

At any rate, the next goal is to play the first full map scenario, #4, with 2 players and see if we can manage two fronts at the same time. After the beatings I've taken as the Soviets in scenarios 2 and 3, I'm sticking with them for this one. They start with initiative, superior numbers, and they can get some payback. Can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Woźniak
Poland
Niemcz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 3 by itself is imbalanced. Soviets should not hope to win battles, but rather to slow Poles down (by leaving detached brigades, by smart use of withdrawals).

Scenario 3 plays great together with 2 - the better southern player defends, the smaller help he will need to block the Kiev offensive from the north, and the stronger it will possibly be.

Once I sent 4 blocks from southern front to northern by rail as a Pole, after having judgeded that my offensive against Kiev will fail. And this counteroffensive broke southern wing of northern front.

playing just southern front, even if Budyonny comes 4th OP 1st Rd, is very hard indeed.

But remember. if Poles overextend and use up their cards early, they will have problems blocking budyonnyąs raid behind their backs. And should Soviets retake Berdichiv ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
mbmbmbmbmb
MarcinW wrote:
Scenario 3 by itself is imbalanced. Soviets should not hope to win battles, but rather to slow Poles down (by leaving detached brigades, by smart use of withdrawals).

1. Thanks for the confirmation that it seems really hard to hang on in this one.
2. Doh! Detaching brigades shake...I knew of this from the rules but forgot once the bullets started flying. Detaching a rearguard and getting more, albeit weaker, blocks on the board might help to slow the Poles down. Will try to actually remember that nex time, thanks.

Also, I noticed the rules stated you could play this one and #2 together, glad to see it's more balanced when combined at least. Maybe we'll try that next instead of #4. thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Woźniak
Poland
Niemcz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this game, never fight where opponent is stronger.

Poles have 1.5:1 advantage, and better quality of troops.

I mean, fight against his plans, not armies.

My friend once attacked Kamyanets instead of defending Berdichiv and only due to counterattack from 4 sides, force - marched, with Pilsudski's activation and two cards, I prevented his attempt of establishing a strong base behind my back. just before Budyonny appeared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.