Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
55 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Am i the Geek of the Month or what? (or: What´s the most expensive game you ever bought...) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Helmut Apel
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn... you won´t belive what i just did: Bought an unpunched copy of "Where there is discord" on Ebay for flippin´ 224,- € (which is 275 USD)!

wowzombierobotblushshakewhistle

Besides "War of the Ring Collectors Edition" this is the freakin´ most expensive game i ever bought. Just one week ago i got a mint-copy of "Carrier" for 97,- €... Now it´s definitely enough with new Boardgames (for the month of August... cool)

Please help me lower my doubt on my own sanity and tell me: What´s the most expensive second-hand-(War)Game you ever bought?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Am i the (Grognard)Geek of the Month or what?
Get off my lawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Apel
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"Forgive me, Master, i´m unworthy..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Shelley
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. - Unknown
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently play >$400 for a shrink-wrapped Case Blue. Worth every penny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
kshelley wrote:
I recently play >$400 for a shrink-wrapped Case Blue. Worth every penny

400 dollars?! Surely you meant to type "Panama Red."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
TylerDax wrote:
Damn... you won´t belive what i just did: Bought an unpunched copy of "Where there is discord" on Ebay for flippin´ 224,- € (which is 275 USD)!

Besides "War of the Ring Collectors Edition" this is the freakin´ most expensive game i ever bought. Just one week ago i got a mint-copy of "Carrier" for 97,- €... Now it´s definitely enough with new Boardgames (for the month of August... cool)

Please help me lower my doubt on my own sanity and tell me: What´s the most expensive second-hand-(War)Game you ever bought?

The highest bid amount I ever entered into ebay was $1000.00. It was a time I was after the last half-dozen or so rare titles I wanted to fill out my collection of very specific titles, and I didn't want to go through the hassle of playing patty-cake with bid-snipers. I just figured I would take my chances, and thought it was kind of cool to picture the look of disappointment on the snipers' faces when they lost out to me.

I also crashed to the ground and thanked Jamoomba and whatever God you believe in that the bids never went that high.

I may have paid upwards of $400 once or twice for super-rare games, but that may have been through Troll & Toad rather than ebay, ironically enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I've spent over $100 for new releases, I think the most I've ever paid for a used wargame was $90 for This Hallowed Ground. I paid something like $125 for a used copy of Warhammer Quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bid $500 on a game on eBay.

I was still outbid, so didn't get that ever-elusive copy of Jati that day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
TylerDax wrote:
"Forgive me, Master, i´m unworthy..."

Apology accepted, Captain Needa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"Fear is a reaction. Courage is a decision." -- Winston S. Churchill
mbmbmbmbmb
TylerDax wrote:

You got a deal my friend! Most I ever paid for a game was $300 for the same one for which you just paid $275. Someone's getting rich off suckers like us. (Actually it's a great game, and some day I will have forgotten the pain to my wallet!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought Sicily: Triumph and Folly and Hube's Pocket $$
not cheap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEFF CHATTIN
United States
Washington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just recently I bought a used copy of British Square for $3.99.

Seriously though, I paid $149 once for an unpunched copy of Highway to the Reich, SPI version, several years ago. I also have several items on my wish list that are in that range that I will eventually end up buying.

If it scratches an itch that you have and it was worth it to you, more power to you!

Great gaming gang!

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Apel
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You got a deal my friend! Most I ever paid for a game was $300 for the same one for which you just paid $275. Someone's getting rich off suckers like us. (Actually it's a great game, and some day I will have forgotten the pain to my wallet!)

Hello to my brother in Arms cool I´m already thinking "So what, f*** the money", looking forward to play it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the most I've ever spent for a game is about $165, for a copy of Case Blue at the MMP booth at the World Boardgaming Championships when they were still in print. I'm an OCS fan, so after I argued briefly with myself---"Do I need it?" "I still have a lot of games I haven't played!" "But these OCS games are awfully hard to get; you'd better buy it now while the price is still reasonable." "Any price is too high if you don't play the game!" "If you don't play it, you can probably sell it for more than you'll pay for it now"---I gave in and bought it. I still haven't played it, but I'm glad I bought it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"Fear is a reaction. Courage is a decision." -- Winston S. Churchill
mbmbmbmbmb
TylerDax wrote:
Quote:

Hello to my brother in Arms cool I´m already thinking "So what, f*** the money", looking forward to play it

Yep -- you and Jeff have the right attitude. How much it's worth is based on how much you play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I spent $200 for Gung Ho & then $150 for Code of Bushido and I'll probably spend another ~$100 for Rising Sun when it releases...so you could say I'll have spent $450 for Core PTO ASL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I think the most I've ever spent for a game is about $165, for a copy of Case Blue at the MMP booth at the World Boardgaming Championships when they were still in print. I'm an OCS fan, so after I argued briefly with myself---"Do I need it?" "I still have a lot of games I haven't played!" "But these OCS games are awfully hard to get; you'd better buy it now while the price is still reasonable." "Any price is too high if you don't play the game!" "If you don't play it, you can probably sell it for more than you'll pay for it now"---I gave in and bought it. I still haven't played it, but I'm glad I bought it.

For $165, you still made out like a bandit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also traded 11 games for a copy of This Hallowed Ground back in 2008:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/trade/view/116298
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I did trade about $400-worth of game value (3 games) and cash for my copy of Speed Circuit: Accessory Pack 1.

Most I've paid for a wargame? Probably the $250 I paid for my copy of Scorched Earth. 2 years ago, I didn't own any Europa games; today, I'm only missing Second Front. IIRC, I paid around the $225 range each for The Campaign for North Africa and War in the Pacific (first edition).

I tend to pick up the high end stuff for less than the going rates. I'm a pretty good bargain hunter, in that regard...I'm patient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve mizuno
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just paid $200 and shipping for an unplayed UpFront, Banzai, Desert War combo. Seemed reasonable to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are really making me feel good about myself. Most I've paid for a board wargame is maybe $65.00 and that would have included shipping! OTOH I would be surprised if most of us have not over the years spent thousands of dollar for games we never wound up playing. So if somebody spends a lot of money on a game they actually play and get many hours of amusement out of they probably got a deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I can't beat some of these numbers I see here for a single game. I did however pay roughly $350 earlier this year for the combination of Fire in the East and Scorched Earth, which is essentially one game with an expansion. Given how things are going in terms of a reprint (see this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/808324/total-war-total-w... ), I think I made out pretty well! gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
G.E.V.

cost me 2.95 in 1982 and it was a slippery slope since then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Long
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$356 US for an shrink wrapped copy of this..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cornelissen
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TylerDax wrote:

Picked up Commands & Colors: Napoleonics in shrink for $41 recently. Does that count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.