Subject: Sinbad ('12 TV Show) boardgame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kumo KNS
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

Watching the 4x01 episode of the new Sinbad TV show I observed they were playing a curious boardgame on the ship.

I don't know if it's a version of an actual game, but it could be a nice DIY themed project. Board and pawns look easy to copy, only need a better look of the board marks and figure out the rules. You can view more images and some movements, but it doesn't provide too much info.

They also use a kind of strange "dices" to move. Like long multi-sided bars. Both kind of pawns (one per player) move and they do it and "attack/eat" as in ludo maybe. In the images pawns are chasing each others following a "s" path (up one row, down the central one, up again) on the 10x3 board, but not clear if it's one way only. As there are not pawns on the table, we can asume they were at the begining of the game and each player begin with 5 pawns.
Maybe the sings on the board mark the start/goal or safe/respawn points... Don't know.

Looks like Cook are moving green Pawns and Simbad "ivory" ones, but is not clear by the footage. Maybe even both players can move both types of pawns.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what it's called, but it's a real game because "Great Hall Games" in Austin, TX has one for sale. I saw it there a few weeks ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kumo KNS
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Now you say it's an actual game, I've googled it and I've found this:

https://www.google.es/search?q=senet&hl=es&client=firefox-a&...:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsa&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=2_0nUIygOcm3hAeK34D4Bg&ved=0CD0Q_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=950&sei=3_0nUJOzJYqi0QXzw4CwCg

Looks like it is call Senet.

Shame. I was studying the footage for nothing... Anyway, fans of the show could copy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this game was also shown and mentioned on the last season of the TV series Lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely looks a lot like Senet; nobody is actually sure how this ancient game was played, although it has been suggested it was a predecessor to Backgammon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
Definitely looks a lot like Senet; nobody is actually sure how this ancient game was played, although it has been suggested it was a predecessor to Backgammon.

It was in the backgammon section of the game store when I saw it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kumo KNS
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love backgammon so maybe I should get or made one.

Thanks everybody for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.