Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here's a very simple 2p variant that my wife and I have been enjoying:
No lords or starting quests.
Everything else is the same (e.g. 2 starting Intrigue cards) and obviously no Lord bonus points at the end.

We find this encourages more strategy over choosing which plot quests you want to go after and how to best capitalize on the combination of plot quests, non-plot quests, and buildings as they become available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll give it a shot Ryan. Thanks. Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

I would be tempted to not record VP for completed quests until the end of the game, to keep some hidden scoring. Just a matter of taste, I suppose.

Yes, one could memorize the scores as they go by. I wouldn't do that. While I would be theoretically capable of doing so, I don't think I could muster the energy to actually do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this variant a while back in this thread. My wife and I hated it after a couple of plays. We found that it reduced the game to competition over the high scoring (25- and 20-point quests).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that this idea has been proposed before, it would be great if the OP (Ryan) could go back and edit the original message to make the subject more specific ("Simple 2-player variant: No Lord Cards"), so people who have already seen the earlier threads can skip this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.