Subject: What's your best Gen Con Memories? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Stivers
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a couple of days gamers around the world will come to my hometown Indianapolis for the Best Four Days of Gaming "GEN CON".

Before making new friends and experincing that gamer high in the convention hall. Let's remember or revisit our faviorte, funny, or just plan fantastic memories of past Gen Cons.

My first Gen Con was the last year it was in Milwaukee WI. My twin brother and I took our first trip away from home together and spent 4 days bonding, laughing, and figuring out just what Gen Con was all about. As a side note I also met Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

Two years ago I was walking near the D@D Hall between 3am and 4am, when a random dude ran up to me while his friend was video tapping. He asked me to play Paper, Rock, Scissors. My buddy and I looked at him strangley and I said "HELL YA" We played he lost and then proceeded to do push ups becuase of it. laugh

Last year my play goup really took the challenge of beating Rune Age scenario Cataclysm while at GEN CON. We figured it out at the very end of the last day.

What's your best memories?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HOnestly, I'm looking forward to this year being the best yet. I've spent MANY years at the con working too hard, and it's the first time since 1996 that I'm going without being on someone's payroll.

Though one of my favorite moments was when I was asked last minute to run a demo/tournament of Wings of War. It had been YEARS since I played, and was very nervous to demo because of this. A bad demo experience can really hurt a person's idea of a game and prevent them from eventually owning it. My best case scenario would be that everyone that showed up to play was familiar with how to play, and I could sit and watch without having to teach or correct... bad news... they were ALL noobs, and I was scrambling to look over the rules...

I hear a voice in a thick accent... I look up, and a shy European smiles and offers a hand... turns out, it's Andrea Angiolino, one of the designers of the game. Not only did he want to teach the game, but he brought with "life sized" copies of the game to play on the floor with everyone. So not only did we all have a blast, but it was a memorable experience that really can't be repeated. Andrea was funny and sweet, and I think everyone who played bought a copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
3 years ago my best friend and I went to Gen Con together for the first time. One of the games I wanted to try the most was Race for the Galaxy. We went to the Rio Grande Room and they had a game set up on the table for anyone to try. So we did.

We sat down and this guy named Tom explained the game to my friend and I and one other person. Tom played as well and he totally smoked us. I couldn't understand all the icons and how they worked together. I hated the game and was glad it was almost over when I noticed Tom's name badge.

It said Thomas Lehmann.

WAY COOL!! I GOT TO PLAY WITH THE DESIGNER!!

As a postscript, I have never played RftG since, and I don't want to, but that is my favorite (so far) Gen Con memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
My best memory is my first year - approaching the Con with all the wild-eyed wonder of a kid on Christmas morning. I was all by myself, not knowing anyone at the 'Con, which has never happened since. You can't beat a first time.

My next favorite is now an annual thing with me: getting breakfast at Steak & Shake, sitting by myself, sipping on some java, watching all the gamers come in with backpacks, smiles and joy in their heart. Awesome.

I love GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris johnson
United States
Oregon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
It is tough to pick just one but I think my best Gen Con memory so far was meeting Wil Wheaton in 2010.

I was a volunteer and by the luck of the draw was assigned to assist with the autograph line in the dealer hall. After the autographs, Wil asked for the volunteers who were helping to come up for a photo, autograph, and some kind words. I do not volunteer to get recognition, I volunteer to hopefully make the convention better for everyone else. It was a nice gesture on his part to take the time to thank us for volunteering.

All of my best memories involve the volunteering I have done during the convention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel VandenBurg
United Kingdom
ISLEWORTH
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only been to Gen Con once in 2001.

Had a great time and the scale of the event blew me away.

Highlight was winning the 2nd Brawl World Championship and almost beating the designer James Ernest, sigh close but no cigar baby.

Afterwards had a cool roadtrip with my dad up the 'sippi to minnieapolis to see some family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First memory, buying a pizza in the charity auction at Milwaukee, with the box signed by all of the auction workers. Offered up pieces to the other auction attendees and meeting some great people.

Second Memory, Fire Alarm Red Rover/Dark Dungeons reading on the main street of Indy. To those who were there, they know. If not, I think there's a youtube clip.

Third Memory, watching my brother play DnD with a DM named Gary Gygax.

Fourth Memory, pitching a game to a company, and having the person sit down and seriously give me 5 minutes to explain it.

Continuing Memory, the Gencon Auction. Seriously good times every year, especially TOVA.

Honestly, too many good memories. That's why I'm psyched for Wednesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stivers
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReignsEternal wrote:
First memory, buying a pizza in the charity auction at Milwaukee, with the box signed by all of the auction workers. Offered up pieces to the other auction attendees and meeting some great people.

Second Memory, Fire Alarm Red Rover/Dark Dungeons reading on the main street of Indy. To those who were there, they know. If not, I think there's a youtube clip.

Third Memory, watching my brother play DnD with a DM named Gary Gygax.

Fourth Memory, pitching a game to a company, and having the person sit down and seriously give me 5 minutes to explain it.

Continuing Memory, the Gencon Auction. Seriously good times every year, especially TOVA.

Honestly, too many good memories. That's why I'm psyched for Wednesday.

Wow and wow! That's why we keep going people. I think it was two years ago that a fire alarm went off they evacuated the convention center. Fire was reall but contained in a kitchen somewhere. Anyway we had so much fun outside with fellow gamers waiting to go back inside. Never a dull moment and nothing can get you down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memories:

Being the brother who was watched while playing D&D with Gary Gygax! (My half ling will skip a rock between the fighters feet and bounce it off the goblin's shin! For 2 pts?) I still have the Dragon magazine with the article/picture in it safely stored inside my 25th anniversary SIGNED silverbox .

Going to GenCon while recovering a BADLY broken foot, and having my brother take time to shuffle around with me for a large part of the day.

Riding an elevator with brother and friend, when a young lady painted like ajungle cat entered...and hearing the friend try to strike up a conversation!

Entering the hall in WI for the first time and seeing the TSI castle take upthe center of the hall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Dickinson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Participating in the Battlestar Galactica LARP run by Iocane Productions. I'd never LARPed before, and they'd never run a LARP before, but I had a great time. More experienced players there said that 1)I did a great job and 2)it was one of the best LARPs they'd ever been involved with.

And they're doing it again this year, even continuing the same story we forged over those 4 hours. And I get to play the same character again.

Also, drinking a Primal Porter at the Ram.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oh so many , hard to pick one. Having the designer teach me games is a big one for me. But having the main guest of honor last year in my room and playing a game with him and beating him ( neither of us had played it before ). Or maybe 2 years ago going to the hot tub to find the Japanese synchronized swim team practicing in the pool right beside us, with half the team standing by us waiting their turn in the pool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.