Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Londoners and Great Britain. From my perspective you folks handled it well. Any thoughts about the Rio games in 2016?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Londoners and Great Britain. From my perspective you folks handled it well. Any thoughts about the Rio games in 2016?

I have to admit it went far better then I expected (not that I whatched any of it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i didnt watch much, but one of my fav sports writers said they did awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
These were a great games. Lots of memorable moments, great hosts, and a fun opening and closing ceremony. I am jealous of the coverage put out by the BBC - I wish we had anything remotely comparable here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos to the Russian Mens Volleyball team. They were down 2 games to 0. In the third game, Brazil was one point away from the gold medal twice. Russia fought back to win game 3, 29-27, then won games 4 and 5 to win gold. Possibly the biggest comeback in Olympics history.

Kinda reminded me of the 2004 ALCS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
That reminds me - the announcers (NBC) made mention toward the end of the third set of an odd substitution by Brazil. Play-by-Play says:

in:SubstitutionSANTANA R out:SubstitutionREZENDE B

They said the substitution only made sense as a way to give Santana some recognition. The score was RUS 19 - 22 BRA at the time. Santana ended up costing Brazil the next point and was subbed out immediately after and Rezende brought back in. Russia went on to take the next two points and eventually won that set.

Can anyone with more knowledge about volleyball comment on that substitution? Did it really not make any sense other than to honor the player? And if so, is it possible that that substitution contributed to Brazil losing the gold medal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Can anyone with more knowledge about volleyball comment on that substitution? Did it really not make any sense other than to honor the player? And if so, is it possible that that substitution contributed to Brazil losing the gold medal?

Don't know enough about that to comment. But it looks like the Russian force of nature known Dmitriy Muserskiy. I think he had around 25 kills in the last two games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Octavian wrote:

Don't know enough about that to comment. But it looks like the Russian force of nature known Dmitriy Muserskiy. I think he had around 25 kills in the last two games.

Yeah...he was definitely a force.

But that's not the sub I'm talking about. Brazil subbed a guy (Santana) in when they were two points away from winning the Gold. The announcers said it made no sense other than to honor the guy by giving him playing time. Santana ended up directly costing that next point, was immediately subbed back out, and that sparked a 3 point run by the Russians to tie it up.

Brazil had 2 match point opportunities in that game. It sounds like they could have had more chances were it not for that substitution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Layden
United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent
staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SAMBA SAMBA SAMBA SAMBA SAMBA (thongs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Parker
United Kingdom
London (west)
flag msg tools
badge
Tat Tvam Asi
mbmbmbmbmb
The BBC coverage was generally excellent with online access to live events across the sports and plenty of catch-up options and articles. Most of the commentary was excellent although trying to speak to the Jamaican sprint trio during the medal ceremony of David Rudisha was rude. Michael Johnson was excellent especially as a foil to balance the enthusiasm of Colin Jackson.

Contrary to the comments of Yelena Isinbayeva, Londoners and the Brits took to the Olympics very well. I thought the opening ceremony was excellent and the closing one ok.

The British performance overall was our best to date and good to see some unexpected success. Hats off to all those of all nations who broke records and achieved PBs.

As for Rio - im sure it will be good - as im sure they'll take a lesson from London and keep it true to their own culture and spirit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you London. I'm still sad it's over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I think the bar has been raised very high for Rio. And with Brazil losing both the football and volleyball gold medal games, I expecet there to be even more pressure on them. And don't forget Brazil is also hosting The World Cup in 2014.

I always enjoy the Olympics,. I thought London did a great job with everything. I thougth the Brazil presentation during the closing ceremonies was a low point, but then PELE showed up! Cool!

Congrats to all of the Atheletes (even those who did not win), and a special shout out to Micah Lawrence on the US swimming team (placed 6th on the 200m breast stroke), she was a lifeguard and kids swimming teacher at our local public swimming pool.

Good luck Brazil... the world is watching...

(Disclouse: My wife is from Brazil)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! It's not over yet!

Paralympics in a week or so!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
Hey! It's not over yet!

thumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Orangemoose wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:
Hey! It's not over yet!

thumbsupthumbsup

Who can tell me what the "Para" in Paralympics means?

1GG to the first correct answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowen wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:
Hey! It's not over yet!

thumbsupthumbsup

Parachuting hobbits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
Shadowen wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:
Hey! It's not over yet!

thumbsupthumbsup

From Wikipedia:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The present formal explanation for the name "Paralympic" is that it derives from the Greek preposition παρά, pará ("beside" or "alongside") and thus refers to a competition held in parallel with the Olympic Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.