Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt L
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
publisher
I was wondering what the consensus is about Wacky games. Do you run from them or run to them and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
define wacky? examples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt L
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
publisher
Clive65 wrote:
define wacky? examples?

Along the lines of Killer Bunnies, Munchkin, etc. Themes that are meant to be silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And once the joke has worn off, all you are then left with is a mediocre game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on the game and the setting and the presentation. Sometimes its perfectly fine, and sometimes its the worst possible idea.

Toon! for example is all about the wacky and thrives on it. As does pretty much any Tom Wham game. Though the weird is more subtle in those usually. Fuzzy Heroes and Critter Comandos are other good examples as is Macho Women With Guns.

D&D Gamma World though crashed and burned because it was senseless goofball. And failed for the same reason its predecessor at the opposite end of the spectrum failed for being too grim and serious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have run the gauntlet of wacky games. I also have designed them.
Two points: Yes, the jokes in Killer Bunnies runs low after awhile and you get left with a boring game unless the players "get into it, continually". And with a randomness of getting the right coarrot, being any chance, leaves a lot to be desired without the theme shining.

My first game to hit the wacky was my card game Food Fight!: The wacky art is commented on a lot, "I really enjoyed the funny art". So, the concensus is that the wacky will get them to check it out, but then it is up to the game to keep them coming.

My second was Unpublished Prototype: The wacky is in the theme and the game play in this one. I have tested it numerous times, and the wacky wears off to have a game that you rarely hear much of the theme after the first few times. The game play, on the other hand, shines as the theme combines into the mechanics flawlessly. e.g. When you need money, you "do the laundry"...at your laundramat. The mechanism is card allocation, but the theme shows up as you do the different actions available. So, though it is wacky for a bunch of Hogs to be in the Mafia, they are doing regular ideas behind a real Mafia, taking over blocks.

My third is Penguin Panic: The Great Icescape: This one had mixed reviews on the theme. Proponents thought it was funny to have polar bears against Penguins in a Prison of sorts, trying to escape ala The Great Escape movie, which is very common for a parody in the US. Others thought it was in bad taste to have concentration camps depicted with big-bad German SS keeping poor penguins (Jewish and others). So, the theme, though wacky, could have a bad taste to some. Others laughed that penguins would be in a prison with polar bear guards, think Hogan's Heroes wackiness.

Fourth was another card game as Damsels in Distress: This game has had very good marks in the wacky theme idea. "Players are Witches who know about the Damsels in the area, and want to be the fairest of them all, so they are out to knock off the Damsels before the Prince Charmings can save them...and a second chance to knock off a "saved" Damsel as well by creating a monster." This one only works because of the theme. "I'll knock off this Princess." "I'll poison her, Prince Charming can eat it!" or the such, can be heard.

In conclusion, I see that there must be real game underneath the wacky if the game is over 30 minutes. Card games that last mere minutes can live on the Wacky. Killer Bunnies can go too long for the humor to hold it together for _that_ long. If you plan on adding wacky to a game, make it either on a very good game that can play well after the wacky wears off, integrate it deeply in the theme (Dungeon Petz), or stick to short games where the wacky is throughout and over in minutes, to be relived each play (Mamma Mia!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nicholas
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
I like them. I find they add another layer to most games and are a great way to introduce new friends to a game. If you can interest a player on just the jokes/cards/artwork alone, then they'll generally be willing to give the game a go.

If the gameplay holds up, you've got a winner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The children's game that I'm working on has kind of a wacky theme. The problem with most games for kids is that the themes aren't wacky enough.

I like the idea of wrapping good gameplay in an offbeat theme for kids. That way you can introduce them to bits of strategy concepts without removing the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Wdljr wrote:
Clive65 wrote:
define wacky? examples?

Along the lines of Killer Bunnies, Munchkin, etc. Themes that are meant to be silly.

I don't care if the theme is silly. I do care if the game is silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wdljr wrote:
Clive65 wrote:
define wacky? examples?

I strongly dislike them but seem to be in the minority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Wdljr wrote:
Clive65 wrote:
define wacky? examples?

I strongly dislike them but seem to be in the minority.

These were not the games I thought of...to me these are games that have humour but are not wacky and not very good.

Quelf is a wacky game - a game that makes the player do crazy things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a lot of people who like them, but I'm not one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Green
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is that they only work well if ALL the players are happy when they are playing them. that tends to lead to the more free-form games working the best.

Munchkin and Killer Bunnies are both dire and not worth a second play because the mechanics are terrible and 'fixed'. Anything that involves 'regulated cheating' also makes me roll my eyes: Illuminati, Dragon's Gold- that sort of thing (although Chaos Marauders isn't all bad). However, if the rules are deliberately low-key then the humour and replayability go up. Examples include: Aye, Dark Overlord, the Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen and Tales from the Floating Vagbond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt L
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
publisher
The biggest problem that I've seen with wacky games, is that because they are wacky most people 'seem' to automatically assume the mechanics are junk.

Question 1/ do you agree or disagree with the above statement

Question 2/ Do you do more digging about a wacky game before you drop the $ on it, meaning; check reviews, and with friends etc.. more so than you would a non wacky theme game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can think of some well-rated games that include thematic or artistic elements that could be considered wacky (or lighthearted, silly, humorous...) but have serious gameplay. In other words, these games might fit clearclaw's "I don't care if the theme is silly. I do care if the game is silly."

Dungeon Lords and Dungeon Petz
Fearsome Floors, Friday, and Funny Friends
Belfort
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork
Shear Panic
Primordial Soup
Nuns on the Run
Red November
Antics!
Nefarious

These aren't all heavy games, but they rise above the level of something like Munchkin or Killer Bunnies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:

My first game to hit the wacky was my card game Food Fight!: The wacky art is commented on a lot, "I really enjoyed the funny art". So, the concensus is that the wacky will get them to check it out, but then it is up to the game to keep them coming.

The difference being that underneath the artwork, Food Fight is an enjoyable game with some interesting choices. It's not a random "screw your neighbor" game like Killer Bunnies or Munchkin.

I'm on the fence over wacky games. I'll play a game of Killer Bunnies once in a while because I have a friend who just loves it. I won't touch Quelf at all because it's not a game so much as it is an excuse to act goofy. But at the same time, I absolutely love Snorta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt L
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
publisher
Thanks for the input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Illuminati is an example of a "wacky" themed game that is really pretty brutal, serious and brain-burning, when taken seriously. I think it just depends on the game. "Wacky" as a theme to me isn't anything different than "Farming" or "Trading Snozberries" ... or whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen-Foong Lim
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One note of caution:

We designed a game with a wacky theme (it was about juggling progressively harder things - from balls and clubs all the way up to torches, chainsaws, and kittens - don't worry...we had them declawed) that was actually a very strategic partnership game.

When we pitched it to some publishers, the feedback we got was summed up as:

"We liked the game, we liked the theme, but the two didn't fit well. We thought it was going to be much more goofy than it was in practice."

So, there was a "disconnect" for some between the theme and mechanics. Just be careful that the two fit well together, whether you're intentionally making a "serious" or a "wacky" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the cautionary tale on "wacky" themes. The theme shouldn't overshadow the game. I have recently shelved a game until I can retheme it because feedback was that the theme was "too out there."

If you're Vlaada, then go for it. Otherwise beware the game/theme disconnect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Uncle Pennybags
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Strange...we play and enjoy a romp through Killer Bunnies...but, of course, we also re-wrote the rules - especially the ending! We turned it into a wargame of sorts as it should be. The way we play it is an intriguing and even strategic game my wife requests to play. Cannot be that with a stick!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt L
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
publisher
senfoonglim wrote:
One note of caution:

So, there was a "disconnect" for some between the theme and mechanics. Just be careful that the two fit well together, whether you're intentionally making a "serious" or a "wacky" game.

Good point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.