Dan Carey
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend I attended Dragonflight XXXIII, a game convention near Seattle, WA. I GM'd Conflict of Heroes SoS game with little result. No one pre-registered, but a person I already play against (Dave H.) stopped by and we played a scenario. Otherwise, I sat there with the green "opponent wanted" balloon up and a scenario set up with no takers. Dean Halley said he tried the same thing last year at Dragonflight, with slightly better results. He had two inexperienced people who were willing to try the game. Based on his experience, my expectations were low, but I had hoped for a few people, probably new to the series, to play the game. To improve my chances I had the game listed in the convention schedule several months out. There are a few things I did not try, like announcing it on BGG or emailing via BGG SoS game owners to let them know it would be played at the convention. For those who wonder if the Seattle area is a good area for playing Conflict of Heroes, I've contacted a number of people via BGG and found three opponents that way, so there are people out there who play the game.

Has anybody else has tried this sort of thing? Results? I wonder if Dragonflight is not the right sort of convention, it is more Euro-heavy. There are smaller, more wargame oriented conventions, in the Seattle area and Vancouver, Canada area, maybe those are a better place to try to find new gamers for this game.

Lastly I'd like to thank Uwe for providing an extra set of hit counters, which unfortunately I did not need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames are generally tougher at these sort of cons. Ive had better luck at Strategy game oriented cons and history oriented conventions like Prezcon and Historicon, I believe Strategicon would be a good choice as well.
I like the balloon idea. Unfortunately most people are more interested in a game like that once you already have an opponent. You will notice once you get the game going losts of onlookers will stop by

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried it once at a small convention held in Wisconsin. No takers. Everyone there were Eurotrash players. Well not everyone. Someone brought Descent: Journeys in the dark so I joined in and had a blast. I used to play D&D so playing this was a lot of fun for me. So I guess it wasn't a loss that no one wanted to play CoH with me since I enjoyed my time there anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Its something about minis that attracts players. They really enhance the theme. I have had a couple of non wargamers who were interested in the game get a little frightened with all the numbers on them. A game like tide of iron would go over easier I think just because it looks less intimidating, even though its just about the same complexity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Brochet
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd run a CoH training/tourney at Dragonflight a few years ago when the system was new and it received a fair amount of interest, including some from wargame curious Euro players. My sense is that when a game is first introduced – particularly if it has a unique topic, design attributes or game mechanics – folks will at least check it out. CoH had two of three when it came out, but it lacks novelty now and was eclipsed somewhat by Fighting Formations.

Aside from seeking the new or unusual, many gamers attend cons for multiplayer social fun or to tackle something of a scale or duration they wouldn't otherwise do. I've found fewer people are enticed by moderately long 2-player games at Dragonflight; there's too much competition.

BottosCon or GameOn! are more wargame centric and might well be venues where CoH would have more appeal. In particular, tournaments with short scenarios (and prizes!) can attract both new and experienced players.

I'm sorry I didn't know of your offering until you found me (engaged in High Frontier I think). If I had paid more attention to what was in the schedule I might have joined you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Imhoff
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 24 people signed up to play in the CoH tourney at Gencon. I hope it goes well. I am a little nervous about keeping that many people on task, but it is too late to change anything now.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'd love to see this game gain some nice traction, but as I've stated elsewhere until there's a serious effort at support by Academy for the game system it's going to languish with the few published scenarios out there. People aren't just going to pick up and produce for a game that doesn't appear to have good promotion for things like tournament support, sponsored events, etc.

Heck even ASL has posters that game stores can put up to pimp the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schubert
United States
Port Republic
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you there, Keith. It was my favorite system but with so many modules lingering, I find myself going on to other games. I wish it were not so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phule wrote:
I have 24 people signed up to play in the CoH tourney at Gencon. I hope it goes well. I am a little nervous about keeping that many people on task, but it is too late to change anything now.shake

I enjoyed the tourney Joel even though my play wasn't all that strong. I was disappointed in the dearth of wargames at Gen Con. While Gen Con isn;t really targeted at wargamers at all I expected more than a few to sneak in there for a con that is so big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.