Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Empires of the Void» Forums » Rules

Subject: Both players' ships destroyed in combat: who controls the planet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason I drew a complete blank on this one during today's game, so I apologize if this is already covered in the rulebook or rules forums that I've recently spent so much time going over with a fine-toothed comb to create the FAQ...

Player A controls a planet and is guarding it with 1 ship. Player B comes in with 1 ship of the same initiative level as Player A's ship and makes the attack. Both ships fire and hit, destroying each other. Player B has successfully destroyed Player A's ship, but has lost his own ship in the process. Does Player A retain control of the planet, or has Player B successfully taken it over?

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
As the rules are written right now, it says if you destroy all your opponent's ships, you can take control of the planet; it doesn't say your own ships have to survive. So as-written, I would say the attacker takes the planet.

However, I don't know if that was the intended result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
As the rules are written right now, it says if you destroy all your opponent's ships, you can take control of the planet; it doesn't say your own ships have to survive. So as-written, I would say the attacker takes the planet.

However, I don't know if that was the intended result.

Yeah, that's how I had interpreted it from a literal reading of the rulebook, however it didn't make much sense to me that if all ships blew each other up, control of the planet would switch.

Thanks for the response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing devil's advocate:
Maybe there are non-combat ships like troop transports that are not represented in the game. After all combatants are eliminated from space, the non-coms come in and clean up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.