Subject: A couple questions from the Tutorial game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I just chewed our way through the Tutorial, and a few points came up that we didn't know the answer to.

1)Reinforcement: Do Minor powers and/or Activated Major powers get the free regular in the winter phase? Does the HRE get it in the tutorial?

2)Interceptions:Who is the defender during an interception?

3)Ottoman Home card:Can this be used to make units appear in Tripoli? What if Tripoli is under siege?

4)In the tutorial, when Dragut Falls, does the +1 VP mean Ottoman's lose one VP? or is that simply ignored?

5)If someone play 'City state rebels' on an activated minor power, targeting a city controlled by an ally of that power, Is the foreign control marker removed but the minor power as a whole remains an ally?

Sorry if these are answered somewhere, we did look over the rules and check the Faq.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Minors no, activated majors yes.

2) The active player is always the attacker. Everyone else is always a defender.

3) No. Only cards that specifically permit building non-corsair units in Africa can do so.

4) Paging Mr. Beach, Mr. Ed Beach!

5) You can't target such a space. If the space is controlled by the ally of the minor power it's not a "captured" space so it's not eligible for CSR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5)Was that errataed? The Card says not controlled by it's home power. An allied Minor Power has the Major powers control markers on it to show who is in charge, and it's not the minor power. I could thematicly see very easily a minor power's city being upset at the choice of allies. I am not going to argue if it's spelled out somewhere, but I just want to be clear on why there's a question if its not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
4) Yes, the Ottoman should lose 1 VP. A -1 VP Slave Trader marker could be given to them in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
5)Was that errataed? The Card says not controlled by it's home power. An allied Minor Power has the Major powers control markers on it to show who is in charge, and it's not the minor power. I could thematicly see very easily a minor power's city being upset at the choice of allies. I am not going to argue if it's spelled out somewhere, but I just want to be clear on why there's a question if its not.

It was clarified by Ed here.

In this thread, the question arose if Edinburgh was French controlled and Scotland was allied to France could be the target of CSR. Ed clarified that it could not.

Ed Beach wrote:
Answer: It depends on who the Scots are currently allied with.

IF FRANCE, then the space is considered to be under the control of their Home (minor) power (i.e. Scotland), but that minor's diplomacy is currently controlled by France so the spaces have French markers on them. In this case City States Rebel cannot be played.

IF ENGLAND or the PROTESTANT, yes it can be played. If it succeeds in killing all French units, a Scottish unit would be placed there but then the control marker would match the allied power (i.e. England or Protestant).

I'll definitely include some info on this in the next version of the FAQ document.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay cool. I'm not arguing this point I'm just curious because of what was put in that quote. Could the card be used to kill off troops, but not result in a change of hands? It appears that way from the example(talking about killing French troops)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Okay cool. I'm not arguing this point I'm just curious because of what was put in that quote. Could the card be used to kill off troops, but not result in a change of hands? It appears that way from the example(talking about killing French troops)

No, I do not believe so. Based on what Ed clarified it could not be played at all against a minor power space controlled by its major power ally.

If Scotland is allied to France, but the Scottish space is controlled by any other power except France, then you could play CSR against that space. If successful, the space would revert to French control.

If Scotland is allied to France and the Scottish space is controlled by France, CSR cannot be played at all against that space.

EDIT: Ed, in that example, was saying that if the Scottish space is controlled by France, but if Scotland is allied to England or the Prots, CSR could be played against that space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh I understand now. Thank you very much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem. I did not quite explain the context of the link! Sorry to confuse you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Read
United Kingdom
BATH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
1)Reinforcement: Does the HRE get it in the tutorial?

The answer to this very specific part of your question should be 'no', contrary to what has been previously quoted. The reason being is that "The Holy Roman Empire is considered a minor power in this scenario." Pg5 Scenario Book

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.