Popular Tags: backpedal_harder [+] [View All]
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
billyboy wrote:
Here's the issue with the Proud Monster Deluxe vassal mod, or the lack there of.
Many of us only bought this game because we were told by Compass that there would be a vassal mod before we bought it!
over one year later -No vassal mod!
False advertising?
My friend Bob Schindler who started this thread offered to do the mod or help with it over a year ago. Compass never even answered him. requests about when the mod would be released have been answered with rudeness!

Maybe Calendale can send an email?
They could merge with MMP
We can all then focus our ire on one entity! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:

... never even answered him. requests about when the mod would be released have been answered with rudeness!

Yeah, as one who has gotten that treatment elsewhere - I can say that although it reflects on those that do (or I guess in this context ... 'don't do' those things...).

I'll go on the record as saying I just 'love' the non-responders -- especially in cases where they have websites/email addresses available -and then they still can't manage to respond to enquiries (even love it more when it is a business... I don't think that "technique" is mentioned in my Running a Business in a Niche Market for Dummies book (man, I better check if they printed a revised edition (seems like that sort of thing can get to the contagion status if not addressed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
hipshot wrote:

Maybe Calendale can send an email?

'Fraid I haven't found anything they really NEED to address.

I've heard they are another company with piss-poor communications
with reviewers though. The whole 'ignore things so they'll go
away' may work for some industries. It doesn't work too well
in one where you're competing for a niche market.

A lack of simple decency - addressing legitimate questions
such as where/when is a promised tool - it's all par for the
course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
-E.. wrote:
Although at face value, it sounds a bit odd that someone bought a boardgame based on a computer game promise. *grin*

Actually, I think that is a valid consideration. We all know that finding FTF opponents, big blocks of time, or a room in your apartment/house for big honking wargames can be difficult sometimes. Vassal lets you know you that you can resolve some or all of those problems and actually play the game, even if you don't push around the cardboard bits.

And note that Bob, Bill and others (me too though I don't own Proud Monster) stick to the rule that one of the players of a Vassal game should own a copy of the physical game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bob-

Don't forget that *I* did the graphics for Proud Monster and that *I* had sent files to Compass that were ready for printing but not Vassal-izing and *I* took three months to get a set of files ready that Compass could even pass on to a vassal-maker.

*I, me, myself* added at least 4 months to the delay of a PMD Vassal kit. Send ME an email and bee-otch me out about it - but jumping up and down, holding your breath and pouting on BGG just makes YOU look foolish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Zacharjasz
Poland
Jablonna
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TAD420 wrote:
but jumping up and down, holding your breath and pouting on BGG just makes YOU look foolish.

I don't think so Todd. We bought the game from Compass Games not from Todd Davis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Kirschenbaum
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken Dingley of Compass posted the following on CSW Aug 13, 2012 6:57 am. Please note I am just the messenger, I am merely reposting his comments here.

Quote:
I am dialing in from Australia here and cannot address BGG directly because I cannot remember my login info for that site. It's written down somewhere back in the US. So I will write my response here only.

I have personally responded to Bob Schindler's offers to produce the module a number of times and I have even explained to him in great length the reason for the delay in the module and why we would not get him started on it. We had placed the module in Kevin Coomb's hands and he had done many, many hours of work on it. Then we asked Kevin to help us on two modules that are currently under development and of course, real life stepped in too. As a result it got pushed back, and pushed back. Because Kevin does this as a favor we did not want to wipe away all the work he had already done. So we left the module with him and he worked on it bit by bit. He now has it out to a couple of people to check it and it will be released soon.

The irony here is that this is happening just when the module is going to be available. I do understand his impatience as I am a gamer too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blad
United States
Mesa
AZ - Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak to some of the issues but I can speak to the comms piece. Compass has been incredibly quick and complete in all of their communications with me.

Ken is blazing fast to respond. If you did not get a response from him did you check your spam folder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blanchett
United States
St Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Vassal by the way is not a computer game. Its a program for playing boardgames on the computer.

Made for free, by people in their spare time...

Nobody has said there won't be a Vassal module... it just takes someone knowledgeable in how to make them, and in the case of PMD with four maps and 2000 counters, enormous amounts of time.

Vassal is the most complicated of the three to actually make modules for... I salute the few that can take it on. By the way, there already is a Cyberboard gamebox out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
And one of those folks has done it and it will be available shortly.

And yet the whining continues....

Robin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Lewis
United States
West Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
designer
Victory By Any Means
badge
"Fear God and Dread Nought"
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Another BGG blowup! I still had some popcorn left from the MMP show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The funniest thing to me, is these fan-bois who are jumping
to 'defend' the company's interests, yet by their attitude are
likely doing a LOT of harm.

Sometimes it's hard to disassociated their asinine quips
aimed at people trying to give companies useful feedback.
In the end, those complaining are doing the company a valuable
service - letting them know right up front that they're at risk
of losing customers, AND how to fix the issue.

What I saw here, as well as in the MMP thread, is that the company
tends to try and mend fences. But responses telling people to
put up and shut up (at least for me) intensify anger at the
company itself.

One wonders if they are trying to damage the company?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Kirschenbaum
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

Wargaming is a small hobby. The line between publishers, designers, testers, and players (consumers) is pretty thin. For many of the authors of those "asinine quips" who you're addressing, "the company" (MMP, GMT, Compass, whoever) isn't some corporate monolith in an office park with a fountain out front. They're friends who they game with, hang with, and have done so for years. Because of those long-standing relationships, they have some insight into what it means to print and sell games while having a day job (or not having same), family concerns, health issues, kids going off to college, everything modern life throws at you. So when folks on BGG or CSW start talking in high-handed ways about what "the company" should and shouldn't be doing, what was promised, what they're entitled to, etc. etc. they are sometimes perceived as people who don't have a clue and for whom no amount of product and service is ever going to be enough. And responses are tendered accordingly.

Just my .02, not speaking on behalf of anyone here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
A one year wait?

How quaint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mkirschenbaum wrote:
calandale wrote:

Wargaming is a small hobby. The line between publishers, designers, testers, and players (consumers) is pretty thin. For many of the authors of the "asinine quips" who you're describing, "the company" (MMP, GMT, Compass, whoever) isn't some corporate monolith in an office park with a fountain out front but friends who they game with, hang with, and have done so for years. Because of those relationships they have some insight into what it means to print and sell games while having a day job (or not having same), family concerns, health issues, everything modern life throws at you. So when folks on BGG or CSW start talking in high-handed ways about what "the company" should and shouldn't be doing, what was promised, what they're entitled to, etc. etc. they are sometimes perceived as people who don't have a clue and for whom no amount of product and service is ever going to be enough. And responses are tendered accordingly.

I know. I also know that the people with a real stake in the
company have learned to step away, take a deep breath, and
realize something they care about is on the line - that they
need to avoid antagonizing customers.

I just hope that the knee-jerk reactions of those who are
'supporting' them don't drive people away. I know that over
on the MMP thread, I was getting pretty damned pissed at the
company - but for things that their 'supporters' were saying.

The truth is, nearly everyone involved discussing the company
likes their games. The best solution is to try and maintain as
much civility as possible, and not to get all defensive. The worst
thing one can do is appear antagonistic to customer complaints,
even if they're not valid - whether directly, or via uncontrolled
proxies. This hobby is small enough that it's not good to alienate
people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
J.L.Robert wrote:
A one year wait?

How quaint.

Ah...I take it you've already paid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkirschenbaum wrote:
calandale wrote:

Wargaming is a small hobby. The line between publishers, designers, testers, and players (consumers) is pretty thin. For many of the authors of the "asinine quips" who you're describing, "the company" (MMP, GMT, Compass, whoever) isn't some corporate monolith in an office park with a fountain out front but friends who they game with, hang with, and have done so for years. Because of those relationships they have some insight into what it means to print and sell games while having a day job (or not having same), family concerns, health issues, everything modern life throws at you. So when folks on BGG or CSW start talking in high-handed ways about what "the company" should and shouldn't be doing, what was promised, what they're entitled to, etc. etc. they are sometimes perceived as people who don't have a clue and for whom no amount of product and service is ever going to be enough. And responses are tendered accordingly.

I have no particular horse in this matter, as I did not buy this game and I don't use VASSAL. As a casual reader, and someone who works in marketing, I understand the viewpoint you are illustrating about who 'wargame companies' actually are, and why they may differ in some ways from their distant cousins, the corporate giants. However, the fact remains that once they offer goods for sale, and begin to accept payments from total strangers (i.e. customers), they do have an obligation to communicate with their customer base in an honest and upright manner, and to answer the questions and concerns of those who have spent money on their products. To have advertised that this game would come with a VASSAL module, which quite obviously generated a certain percentage of sales, and then both delayed the release of said module, and compounded that delay with what appears to be inadequate communication, is a violation of basic sales and marketing principles. While I don't think anyone here is suggesting deliberate subterfuge on the part of the company, I think some customers can be forgiven for feeling mislead. It seems somewhat clear that some of these customers would not have bought the game in the first place, had they known that the VASSAL module would be at least a year in coming. The company probably should do something to acknowledge their shortcoming to these customers, perhaps in the form of a credit or some bonus product offered in compensation.

Again, just the $0.02 of a casual observer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Buse
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Compass had (1) advertised that the Vassal module would be released concurrently with the game and (2) delayed the release of the module, that analysis might actually make sense. But I'm pretty sure they did neither.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:

The first rule of wargame publishing: KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE!

Is that a trombone I see someone holding in the background?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer wrote:
I can't speak to some of the issues but I can speak to the comms piece. Compass has been incredibly quick and complete in all of their communications with me.

Ken is blazing fast to respond. If you did not get a response from him did you check your spam folder?

For me as well. Email response always within 24 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
A one year wait?

How quaint.

It's not a real game unless you take the thick end of a decade to do it.

Or that's what I tell myself.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Reynolds
Georgia
Brezhnevograd
Former Upper Caucasus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
-E.. wrote:
...A Vassal Module is a computer game... it is a game that you play on a computer. *gotcha-grin*

And I still find it ironic that someone would buy a board game based on a promise for a computer anything. (I didn't say I was against it, just that it is ironic).

Ongoing discussion about the very thing here
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9781297#9781297
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Franke
United States
Elkton
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rschindl@swbell.net wrote:
mkirschenbaum wrote:
Ken Dingley of Compass posted the following on CSW Aug 13, 2012 6:57 am. Please note I am just the messenger, I am merely reposting his comments here.

Quote:
I am dialing in from Australia here and cannot address BGG directly because I cannot remember my login info for that site. It's written down somewhere back in the US. So I will write my response here only.

I have personally responded to Bob Schindler's offers to produce the module a number of times and I have even explained to him in great length the reason for the delay in the module and why we would not get him started on it. We had placed the module in Kevin Coomb's hands and he had done many, many hours of work on it. Then we asked Kevin to help us on two modules that are currently under development and of course, real life stepped in too. As a result it got pushed back, and pushed back. Because Kevin does this as a favor we did not want to wipe away all the work he had already done. So we left the module with him and he worked on it bit by bit. He now has it out to a couple of people to check it and it will be released soon.

The irony here is that this is happening just when the module is going to be available. I do understand his impatience as I am a gamer too

If 2 lines in an email is great length so be it. It is none of my business who and how the module is being handled. What I do object to is silence. We now only hear about close it is to being done.

This comes out after I made a noise about the lack of service.

Poke! Poke....Throw some at the other guy too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cornelissen
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkirschenbaum wrote:
calandale wrote:

Wargaming is a small hobby. The line between publishers, designers, testers, and players (consumers) is pretty thin. For many of the authors of those "asinine quips" who you're addressing, "the company" (MMP, GMT, Compass, whoever) isn't some corporate monolith in an office park with a fountain out front. They're friends who they game with, hang with, and have done so for years. Because of those long-standing relationships, they have some insight into what it means to print and sell games while having a day job (or not having same), family concerns, health issues, kids going off to college, everything modern life throws at you. So when folks on BGG or CSW start talking in high-handed ways about what "the company" should and shouldn't be doing, what was promised, what they're entitled to, etc. etc. they are sometimes perceived as people who don't have a clue and for whom no amount of product and service is ever going to be enough. And responses are tendered accordingly.

Last time I checked it took less than 5 minutes to type out and send an email.

shake

mkirschenbaum wrote:
MMP, GMT, Compass

Which of these things is not like the other? ...

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.