Hide
6 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Salvaging a rough start rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vomix Vomix
msg tools
So in the last solo game I played, the turn-0 gate spat out a Gug, which immediately camped out in the streets...and then after the first turn, the following Mythos card was a nasty rumor that was adding doom tokens AND tried to open a gate on the old gate, causing a monster surge on turn 2. With 5 monsters on the board (some were pretty nasty!) and a rumor adding doom tokens, it was a pretty dire situation, especially when my star gate-sealer got devoured a couple turns later.

So my game did not go so well, from the outset. When I looked back and thought about it later, I was left wondering what could actually have been done. So I ask: when faced with a really rough first few turns, what do you do? Shift gears to monster-killing for a turn or three? send someone to buy dynamite and one-shot some of the toughies while everyone else loads up on the easily-nabbed clues? Sit in the corner and cry?

Tell me your stories!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that rumors have to be taken very seriously. I have on a few occasions (last game actually) deliberately let them fail, but very rarely. Late game rumors can be raced, but early and mid-game rumors need to be aggresively attacked. Almost every game we lose has a rumor in it.

Sometimes the game just deck-whips you and there's nothing you can do about it. A bad rumor with scary monsters camped out on it is almost impossible to beat in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes you just have to hope it straightens itself out and more gates with easier monsters appear, which won't always be the case. I had an eleven Mythos-phase game once that saw seven monster surges.

This is what gives the game its great replayability. Each game is completely unpredictable and you've got to adjust according to what it's throwing at you.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I was expecting a total wipeout start. OP's case reads like a run of the mill game of Arkham Horror goo .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Either drop everything for the rumor, or plan for the Fail result. Also, if you're playing solo with only on investigator, house rule that you draw a Mythos card every *three* turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely support starting a solo game with multiple investigators, as playing with just one ramps up the difficulty level to a point where you will find it an immense challenge to turn around a bad start. However, I agree with the above, attack the rumour card, ignore the monsters, gather clues and go for sealing 6 gates pronto!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.