flag msg tools
Proxies for a GW game????? Heresy!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P X
msg tools
I'd rather be a cheap heretic than a broke paragon.

JasonJ0 wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur chang
United States
TUSTIN
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
primarchx wrote:
I'd rather be a cheap heretic than a broke paragon.

JasonJ0 wrote:

Renegade!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Parker
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering how much of their own range that they don't make models for (nearly all the daemon heralds several characters and oop stuff) honestly its amazing how much of the models you have to proxy in order to play the games they STILL SUPPORT!

The reaper Bones minis are awesome IMHO as the price point is well below reasonable. I hope they expand them more and more. Seems like everyone is making resin better and cheaper every day. (well almost everyone eh GW?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait...but...you can't play Warhammer Quest with non-GW minis! IT'S IN THE RULES!!!! surprise

I originally got into the collectible D&D miniatures game just to get minis to use for Warhammer Quest. I have yet to notice my GW minis complaining about it. I doubt anyone out there has ever played WHQ with fully accurate minis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that Kickstarter is a pretty darn neat one...!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I doubt anyone out there has ever played WHQ with fully accurate minis

I have a complete line of 1990's GW minis and didn't pay an arm and a leg. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Same ditto for HeroQuest and Advanced HeroQuest!

Thanks for reminding me - AHQ came out with a "monster manual" of figures, so I'm going to see how well the Reaper KS mini's match the AHQ monsters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bummer wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

I have a complete line of 1990's GW minis and didn't pay an arm and a leg. devil

Just your first born? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
stophle wrote:
the_bummer wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

Just your first born? whistle

No, my first born is actually my WHQ partner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bummer wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

Seriously? Then I want pics of "All the minis you'd need for WHQ on one table!!"

I considered doing a pic of "All the minis you'd need - as represented by proxy" but decided that just wasn't cool enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
the_bummer wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

Seriously? Then I want pics of "All the minis you'd need for WHQ on one table!!"

I considered doing a pic of "All the minis you'd need - as represented by proxy" but decided that just wasn't cool enough.

You seem not to know who Littlemonk is ;-)
He's the godfather of WHQ.

Look at his pic:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bummer posted just such a pic in the Warhammer Quest gallery, page one. It's the long, thin one that you need to click to make out what it is. The comments explain how he did it. I'm not positive if the full Warhammer Quest miniature collection is fully accounted for, but it certainly appears to be the case.

[Stofle just beat me to it. -edit]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygnu wrote:
the_bummer posted just such a pic in the Warhammer Quest gallery, page one. It's the long, thin one that you need to click to make out what it is. The comments explain how he did it. I'm not positive if the full Warhammer Quest miniature collection is fully accounted for, but it certainly appears to be the case.

[Stofle just beat me to it. -edit]

I'll admit that i don't have all of the mounted troops in the Lair of the Orc Lord expansion (working on that), but pretty much everything else from the RPB and the Catacombs of Terror.

The pic is not my complete collection, but if memory serves, it does show the entire RPB collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick note on the ks project in question. 2 days left now, and the current package is 200+ figures for $100. Under 50 cents a mini. High quality looking stuff in there too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the Bones minis the same scale as the Warhammer Quest guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
mandingoman wrote:

25mm compared to 28mm. Definitely usable. I always thought Reaper made bigger models than their scale suggested anyways, so their 25ers should fit right in.
EDIT: this is essentially the difference between GW's LOTR and WFB minis, normally. So if you are fine with that, you should be more than fine with Reaper's Bones minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This kickstarter is very tempting. I have Warhammer Quest and Advanced Heroquest... but no extra minis besides what is included in the original game box.

I remember opening Advanced Heroquest for the first time and thinking that the game has to be missing some of the miniatures.

I might need to jump on board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:
mandingoman wrote:

25mm compared to 28mm. Definitely usable. I always thought Reaper made bigger models than their scale suggested anyways, so their 25ers should fit right in.
EDIT: this is essentially the difference between GW's LOTR and WFB minis, normally. So if you are fine with that, you should be more than fine with Reaper's Bones minis.

Maybe should go in a new thread, but i thought WHQ and WHFB minis were 25mm? Anyone have any documentation that states either?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Filling out my WQ besiary may be just the excuse I need to pull the trigger on the Bones Kickstart Vampire pledge and options. I figured I'd work out some deatails in a post to help me decide what's possible.

So...which Bones miniatures from the vampire pledge (VP) and options work as proxies for which WQ monsters? Why not add in the Bones plastics and prepainted Legendary Encounters already available as well? (They can be found cheaper at second-sale miniature webstores.) I'm not even going to start on the characters. Here's some ways to work out the proxies for the 1st monster table:

Level 1 Monster Table
Ogres: VP Mind Your Manners option--1 ogre and 1 ettin; VP Mind Your Manners option--1 ogre; OR Bones line--1 or 2 ogre chieftians
Beastmen: VP Mind Your Manners--1 gnoll archer; Bones line--7 gnolls
Skaven Stormvermin: VP--1 gnoll archer; Bones line--8 gnolls
Snotlings: VP Dungeon Attack--12 kobolds (paint 'em green?)
Giant Bats:VP--1 bat swarm (woefully short)
Giant Spiders: VP Vermin option--2 giant spiders, 2 spider swarms, 2 giant beatles, 2 giant scorpions, 2 beetle swarms, 2 rat swarms (other than giant spiders, others are weak proxies); Legendary Encounters--10 giant spiders
Giant Rats: VP Dungeon Attack--12 giant rats
Orcs:VP--5 orcs; VP Orcpocalypse option--20 orcs (still short 1 archer); OR Bones line--X4 set of 3 orc spearmen (wrong weapon) and X4 set of 3 orc archers; OR Legendary Encounters X4 set of 3 orc w/ scimitar (wrong armor) and X4 set of 3 orc archers
Skaven Clanrats:VP Dungeon Attack--12 kobolds (very small)
Savage Orcs and Savage Orc Shaman:VP--1 lizardman and 3 VP Swamp Things lizardmen; x3 VP Swamp Things option--9 lizardmen;
Goblin Netters: VP We Be Goblins--6 Pathfinder goblins with whip or sword and torch
Skeletons: VP Undead Horde --2 skeletons w/ sword and 2 w/ spear, 2 skeletons w/ bow; x2 VP Undead Horde option and x2 Legendary Encounters set of 3 skeletons (you need to sub 6 spearmen for archers or swordmen, otherwise get X5 Undead Horde option for twice the money)
Zombies: VP Undead Horde--4 zombies; VP Undead Horde option--4 zombies (if you need skeletons as well) OR Bones line set of 3 zombies (6 if you use your VP Undead Horde zombies as ghouls)
Ghouls: VP Undead Horde--4 zombies (flesh-colored) and maybe VP Grave Danger--1 ghast; x2 VP Undead Horde option--8 zombies (flesh-colored, you'll already have these if you go with the X2 or X5 Undead Horde option for skeletons)
Dark Elves: VP Dark Elves--4 dark elves and VP Pathfinder Iconic I and II 1 or 2 elves; VP Dark Elves option--3 or 4 dark elves
Wild Cave Squigs: VP--1 beholder, 1 mimic and 1 Fire It Up small fire elemental; VP Deep Dwellers option--1 sea lion (weak)
Trained Cave Squigs and Goblin Squig Hunters: VP--1 beholder, 1 mimic and 1 Fire It Up small fire elemental; VP Deep Dwellers option--1 sea lion (weak); VP We Be Goblins--3 Pathfinder goblins with spear or whip and 3 with sword and torch
Hobgoblins: VP--6 orcs; VP Orcpocalypse option--20 orcs; OR Bones line--X3 set of 3 orc spearmen; OR Legendary Encounters x3 set of 3 orc w/ scimitar (better armored)
Goblins and Goblin Shaman: VP We Be Goblins--1 Pathfinder goblin w/whip as the shaman; VP Dungeon Attack--8 goblins w/ sword (wrong weapon) and 4 w/ bow; X2 Ghast Pledge Dungeon Attack--16 goblins w/ sword(wrong weapon) and 8 goblins w/ bow; OR VP We Be Goblins--2 Pathfinder goblins w/ spear, 5 w/ sword and torch, 1 w/ bow, 1 w/ sword and whip (shaman); X5 VP We Be Goblins option--10 Pathfinder goblins w/ spear and 5 w/ bow (I'd go cheap with x2 We Be Goblins option and mod the weapons)
Minotaurs: VP owlbear and x1 owlbear option; OR VP Mind Your Manners--1 ettin and x2 VP Mind Your Manners options; OR Bones line--3 minitaurs; OR Legendary Encounters--3 minotaurs
Goblins: VP Dungeon Attack--8 goblins w/ sword (wrong weapon) and 4 w/ bow; X2 Ghast Pledge Dungeon Attack--16 goblins w/ sword(wrong weapon) and 8 goblins w/ bow; OR VP We Be Goblins--2 Pathfinder goblins w/ spear, 5 w/ sword and torch, 1 w/ bow, 1 w/ sword and whip; X5 VP We Be Goblins option--10 Pathfinder goblins w/ spear and 5 w/ bow (I'd go cheap with x2 We Be Goblins option and mod the weapons)
Dark Elf Naggaroth Black Guards: VP Dark Elves--4 dark elves (wrong weapons and armor); VP Dark Elves option--4 dark elves (wrong weapons and armor); OR Legendary Encounters--8 evil human warriors (wrong weapon and shield) OR Bones line--8 male human warriors (wrong weapon and shield)
Centaurs: VP--1 griffon or owlbear; x1 VP option--2 griffons or 2 owlbears; OR x2 VP Spiders and Centaurs options--4 spider centaurs

Wow, I nearly proxied everything with varying degrees of accuracy (giant bats was a standout loser). I have the game, so much of this isn't necessary for me. If you got through this wall of words, maybe it can help you decide. I'm just venting some enthusiasm. Time to check out the other monster table levels to see what I need before this deal is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
the_bummer wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:
mandingoman wrote:

Maybe should go in a new thread, but i thought WHQ and WHFB minis were 25mm? Anyone have any documentation that states either?

No. GW miniatures, excluding those produced under licence for their LOTR game (which probably specified actual 25mm), have been 28mm+ since at least 1990. And before that they tended to be oversized 25mm more often than not. They call them 25mm, yes, but that doesn't make it so. These days they are more like 30mm. And the deliberate exaggeration of the sculpts doesn't help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
When I was 15 I use to use non-GW models when I played Warhammer Quest. However one day when I was at the shop grabbing some coco-pops off the shelf Jervis Johnson king hit me and broke my jaw. My mom had to chase him off with her handbag.
I learned my lesson. From that day on my Dragonstrike scorpionman would never again be a chaos dwarf centaur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
When I was 15 I use to use non-GW models when I played Warhammer Quest. However one day when I was at the shop grabbing some coco-pops off the shelf Jervis Johnson king hit me and broke my jaw. My mom had to chase him off with her handbag.
I learned my lesson. From that day on my Dragonstrike scorpionman would never again be a chaos dwarf centaur.

I'm so confused. What's the reference here? I am even familiar with the DragonStrike Scorpionman, but am so confused by this post. What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I think that's Frank just being a curmudgeon, but who can tell? People get strange when they get old...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobloblah wrote:
I think that's Frank just being a curmudgeon, but who can tell? People get strange when they get old...

He can't be that old. I was about 16 when WHQ came out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.