MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Champions - Discussion Thread

This thread is open for discussing character concepts and builds for DARK CHAMPIONS.

The following players may post and discuss here:

buffalospynovel
Beowulf
Whirlinghurly
CapAp
greek2me
riot
bwt2q
NickAnner
kristiefix
Avin
lvoverride
ElAdoranSureShot
Vox_Dargard
Javal
Blacksheep
Nykkel
StatSig
Urza47
jmilum

Keep in mind the following in constructing your characters and teams:

1) You are each assigned to a team that will generally operate within the city assigned (Boston, NYC, Washington DC). Although there may be times for cross-over, and all players will have a main discussion thread for all three teams, usually you'll be limited to staying in your immediate area.

2) You will want individual characters to specialize in some things, but you don't want to be left completely without certain skills if someone should die.

3) Every team should have at least one strong martial-arts type fighter. Every team should have at least one sniper-level expert marksman. EVERY player, unless they have a strong code against killing, should be good with a couple types of weapons. Every team needs people with skills in computer programming, security systems, electronics, forensics, criminology, and deduction.

4) Every team will have a small, basic base of operations - nothing fancy, no armored base with gun turrets. Every team will also have at its disposal one vehicle capable of carrying four people - this vehicle will be unmarked and unlicensed, which has its advantages and disadvantages. Players will be permitted to acquire vehicles, from motorcycles to private jets. In general, mission teams will only allow as many people as can actually get transport to a mission site.

5) DO NOT discuss potential disadvantages for your characters. Work only on your attributes and skills and such. Disadvantages in this game will be important parts of the story - and I can nearly guarantee that allowing your team-mates to know your weaknesses will be a bad idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle Anner
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
“A sense of humor...is superior to any religion so far devised.” ― Tom Robbins
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Dark Champions - Pre-Game Discussion Thread
Hi everyone! I'm excited to play. I'm most likely constructing a melee girl. Girl/cat hybrid if surgical enhancements are mod approved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalospynovel wrote:
Girl/cat hybrid if surgical enhancements are mod approved.

No, but you can dress like a cat. I hear that's common of vigilantes these days. Bats too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My intent is to create a marksman type character. The concept I've been toying around with is a character with Absolute Time Sense, Bump of Direction, Combat Sense, Danger Sense(depending on how high a level is approved). Basically someone with an innate sense of self location in the universe. I'm not really sure how far the points in this game stretch but after the essentials for marksman type skills etc I was looking at picking up miscellaneous useful things like demolitions, lock picks, stealth, survival, paramedic, tactics, tracking, and then seeing how far into also being a competent transport person I could be.

I'll definitely spend some points in H2H but I hadn't planned on being an expert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thought it might be useful to break this down by teams for discussion, feel free to quote and update this as things change so people can easily get a basic sense of what's filled and what isn't.

BOSTON Team:
buffalospynovel - melee focused CatGirl theme
Beowulf
Whirlinghurly
CapAp
greek2me
riot

NEW YORK CITY Team:
bwt2q
NickAnner
kristiefix
Avin
lvoverride
ElAdoranSureShot
Vox_Dargard - marksman/support/transport?

WASHINGTON DC Team:
Javal
Blacksheep
Nykkel
StatSig
Urza47
jmilum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, I should note that I'm pretty flexible, if someone else fills in the marksman slot and we're missing something critical I don't mind filling a needed role on the team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I was thinking of creating a character whose civilian identity is a nightclub magician. Primary skills would be mental, but also physically fit (think Christian Bale in The Prestige) and he'd be able to handle himself in a fight. Possibly some kind of hypnosis if Kima allows it, but that's probably beyond our power level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
I was thinking of creating a character whose civilian identity is a nightclub magician. Primary skills would be mental, but also physically fit (think Christian Bale in The Prestige) and he'd be able to handle himself in a fight. Possibly some kind of hypnosis if Kima allows it, but that's probably beyond our power level.

That sounds nifty I would guess there will be a fair amount of social skills there too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

That can work. You'd buy mind control with a few limitations that keep it non-combat and skills based. Something like:

Mind Control: 8d6 (40 base points), Concentrate 0 DCV (-1/2), Extra Time 1 minute (-1 1/2), Requires Persuasion Roll (-1/2), Must achieve EGO+10 "Target will not remember actions" level at minimum (-1/2), Actual Cost 10 points.

In a club setting, you would set up your target to "drop their EGO" - relax, open the mind, etc. - to make it much easier to induce suggestions. Hostile targets will resist to the best their EGO allows. Or you could additionally require that the target be relaxed - whether willfully or by drug - for an additional 1/2 to 1 limitation bonus.

It may also be appropriate to limit how strong a mind control you can achieve. Mind control allows anything from having the person do something they would generally do anyway, to doing something they're violently opposed to. It all depends on how well you roll the mind control and how good the target's EGO is. Getting someone to cluck like a chicken would require scoring, on the dice roll, 10 higher than the target's EGO score (something the person wouldn't mind doing but ordinarily wouldn't do). Getting a person to divulge a secret would be EGO + 20 (something opposed to doing), and getting a person to do something they're violently opposed to would be +30 (say, violating a psych lim, killing someone, etc.) Some may even require higher levels, such as getting someone to kill his own child. You could limit this to "no better than EGO+20 level." That'd be an additional -1/4 limitation.

It could certainly work within the construct here, with the appropriate limitations to ensure it's not outright mind-control, as in a super-hero mentalist like Professor X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RIOT
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

"My name is Michael Weston. I used to be a spy until..."

I wanting to roleplay Michael Weston from Burn Notice on USA. Issue I'm going to have is the show has him at a level that would be way more points that will likely be available. He's pretty knowledgeable about various martial arts, guns, other weapons (knives, etc.), tactics, demolition, espionage, and other stuff I'm likely missing. He's also the leader of his little group so there's potential for those type of skills as well.

I was thinking of focusing more on non-fighting skills over making him a straight martial artist or gunman. Maybe some sort of perk to the other group member stats when he's on a mission.

Anyone up for playing Fiona?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RIOT
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kimapesan wrote:
That can work. You'd buy mind control with a few limitations that keep it non-combat and skills based. Something like:

Mind Control: 8d6 (40 base points), Concentrate 0 DCV (-1/2), Extra Time 1 minute (-1 1/2), Requires Persuasion Roll (-1/2), Must achieve EGO+10 "Target will not remember actions" level at minimum (-1/2), Actual Cost 10 points.

In a club setting, you would set up your target to "drop their EGO" - relax, open the mind, etc. - to make it much easier to induce suggestions. Hostile targets will resist to the best their EGO allows. Or you could additionally require that the target be relaxed - whether willfully or by drug - for an additional 1/2 to 1 limitation bonus.

It may also be appropriate to limit how strong a mind control you can achieve. Mind control allows anything from having the person do something they would generally do anyway, to doing something they're violently opposed to. It all depends on how well you roll the mind control and how good the target's EGO is. Getting someone to cluck like a chicken would require scoring, on the dice roll, 10 higher than the target's EGO score (something the person wouldn't mind doing but ordinarily wouldn't do). Getting a person to divulge a secret would be EGO + 20 (something opposed to doing), and getting a person to do something they're violently opposed to would be +30 (say, violating a psych lim, killing someone, etc.) Some may even require higher levels, such as getting someone to kill his own child. You could limit this to "no better than EGO+20 level." That'd be an additional -1/4 limitation.

It could certainly work within the construct here, with the appropriate limitations to ensure it's not outright mind-control, as in a super-hero mentalist like Professor X.

This might also be something for Weston considering the vast majority of his time on the show is BSing other people into believing him and/or doing what he wants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle Anner
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
“A sense of humor...is superior to any religion so far devised.” ― Tom Robbins
mbmbmbmbmb
kimapesan wrote:
buffalospynovel wrote:

No, but you can dress like a cat. I hear that's common of vigilantes these days. Bats too.

Meh, I don't want to wear a halloween costume. I wanted claws. I'll be doing some martial-artsy thing, scratch the cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to decide whether to recreate one of my old roleplay characters that never got enough use or come up with something entirely new.

Jury might be a good fit. If points aren't being spent on equipment, though, that might make an equipment-heavy character inappropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly have no idea what I'm doing at the moment and haven't even begun to think about this. Though I'm tempted to make a superhero version of Jem for pure cheese factor. I haven't even begun looking at the character creation docs, though, and haven't played in the previous Champs games, so right now I'm just throwing crap at the wall blindly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalospynovel wrote:
kimapesan wrote:
buffalospynovel wrote:

Meh, I don't want to wear a halloween costume. I wanted claws. I'll be doing some martial-artsy thing, scratch the cat.

Oh.... Well that might be feasible .... Depending on how defined, that might fly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm torn between sticking with what I'm familiar with and rolling an expert marksman (think The Operative, without the invisibility and a more mundane rifle) or doing something totally different. Maybe a skill-focused computer/electronics/security expert, who can support the team from HQ if we're short on transport capacity? Not sure how fun that would be to play, though.

Currently leaning toward the marksman, just because of how much fun the Operative was.

I must also applaud being placed on the geographically appropriate team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Key: Totally Bouse
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering bringing back Kastell Blawer for this game, but really, I think I'd like to create a new character. Maybe something based on Yusuke Yuremeshi from Yu Yu Hakusho, or just something that's sniperish, as opposed to the Swiss Army support knife that Kastell ended up being.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to this. A lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hogan
United States
zimmerman
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of making a Tough guy after the likes of Quarry from the Hard case novels from Max Collins. Brawler,gritty, ugly, doesn't mind mixing it up. Kind of an anti-hero. Just have to read one again to get into it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She-Hulk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a million different ideas. I could do someone who's sort of a suave, slinky type. I could be someone who patches up the others. I could be a brain. I'll fill any archetype needed on the team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RIOT
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lvoverride wrote:
At any rate, I'm looking forward to this. A lot.

Ditto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Team NYC rocks.

I'm flexible about what kind of character I play, as long as I get to abuse at least one loophole in the rules. My default character is an engineer with plenty of technology skills and a high-tech weapon. I was thinking about a microwave crowd supression device in hand held form (they currently mount on HWMMVs, so a handheld version isn't out of the question if you assume a really high-density battery). A laser weapon is another option, although that is quite a bit less realistic, and requires the same kind of advances in battery technology.

So, mark me down for crowd control or sniper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Vox_Dargard wrote:
NEW YORK CITY Team:
bwt2q - crowd control or sniper
NickAnner
kristiefix
Avin
lvoverride - martial arts or sniper
ElAdoranSureShot - magician/mentalist
Vox_Dargard - marksman/support/transport?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Vox_Dargard wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

That sounds nifty I would guess there will be a fair amount of social skills there too?

Yeah, I was thinking I would help absorb some of Kima's "your team MUST have the following skills" by taking things like deduction, psychology, criminology, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
Vox_Dargard wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking I would help absorb some of Kima's "your team MUST have the following skills" by taking things like deduction, psychology, criminology, etc.

I'm picturing Patrick Jane from The Mentalist now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Anner
United States
Your Base
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at a Tank/Healer type. No guns, guns are for wimps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.