Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I don't need to say much more than the title, but it always chafes me when people do that, so I'll say this: I would search, but by the very nature of the process I'm accessing historical information. So, though I suspect this has come up before, if you could humbly indulge my curiosity it might just benefit others lurking in our midst.

On, and perhaps as a related question, what's the story behind the availability of the A Time of Ravens cycle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first cycle is the only one that hasn't been reprinted at 3x

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
Canada
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Clash of Arms (the first set) has not yet been reprinted.

A Time of Ravens is readily available here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
A Time of Ravens is the most recent cycle to be released in the 3x format. Before it was released as such, it was essentially sold out, and people were asking astronomical amounts for it as little as a month or two ago.

Now, however, it's been re-released, and my quick search around the internet tells me it's in stock at most places. $10 at an OLGS, $15 at a FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solid, from reading articles at Cardgamesdb, I was under the impression it was still OOP.

That one introduces the summer and winter mechanics, right? Any tips on the best two or three?

Actually, a further question: I'm currently typing this while sitting in a posh little free computer center in the Incheon airport (in Seoul, Korea). When I get back to the states*, I'm ordering a copy of Game of Thrones, but plan to add a few card packs in with my order (and maybe a house expansion or two -- my game group got the bug for this game while I was away so this will be our second core). My question is this: for the "few card packs," am I right in thinking A Time of Ravens is the best to draw from, especially since I have no house preference just yet? You know, to get the summer and winter mechanics that everybody seems to rave about?

* - I'd order it now, but I (more than) half expect my card company to lock it down if the purchase originates from a country they wouldn't expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost moreso than the overtly Summer or Winter tech:

Refugees of War. Contains staple weenies for each house that are in literally almost every deck.

After that, Song of Summer or Winds of Winter later on, depending on which house you like to play. I'd recommend poking around a little to see how the different playstyles appeal to you.

Baratheon swings for the fences with big power shifts and impressive characters, Stark is deadly in military challenges with plenty of direct kill, Lannister relies on board and character control with relatively high income, and Targaryen is kind of an odd duck with a pretty versatile toolbox, but frequently making use of attachment manipulation and card recursion.

The two houses not represented in the core set are Martell and Greyjoy--Martell is vengeful with lots of dirty tricks to pull if you mess with them, whereas Greyjoy pulls dirtier tricks and can be maddeningly hard to kill.

Greyjoy and Stark have some good winter tech, Martell and Targaryen have some good summer effects. Baratheon and Lannister don't especially care.

Personally, apart from Refugees of War, I'd go for the single House deluxe set for your house of choice before diving into chapter packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwalker wrote:

The two houses not represented in the core set are Martell and Greyjoy--Martell is vengeful with lots of dirty tricks to pull if you mess with them, whereas Greyjoy pulls dirtier tricks and can be maddeningly hard to kill.

Greyjoy and Stark have some good winter tech, Martell and Targaryen have some good summer effects. Baratheon and Lannister don't especially care.

This is sidetracking my thread a bit (but I guess I'm allowed to do that), but could you elaborate on what you mean by Greyjoy pulls dirtier tricks? After reading the Cardgamesdb Full Tilt "which house do I want" articles, despite their admonishments to Martell's usefulness to new players, I was leaning to the Prince of the Sun expansion specifically because they seemed to have the dirtiest tricks (and most counter-intuitive, "I win by losing," play mechanic).

Or, to say that another way, in the generic D&D-esque archetypes of Wizard, Sneaky Thief and Brazen Warrior, I've always gravitated more towards the Sneaky Thief (and Martell, correct me if I'm wrong, looks to be that for this game, no?). Greyjoy has intimidate, which seems fairly useless (since it affects your own character and not just your enemy, right?), but mainly dislike their similarities to Stark, a house I've never been attracted to playing (more the Brazen Warrior archetype, both Greyjoy and Stark, right?). I also expect to be picked on a lot since I'm the lest experienced in my game group (we're all new, but they have 5-10 games under their belt while I've been in Asia).

p.s. My group only has one core right now. I'm contemplating a purchase of 1 core, 1 or 2 big box expansions (Martell and Targ, for now, though I'm waiting to hear what people have to say about Greyjoy) and one small box expansion (probably summer themed since I thematically gravitate to Martell and Targ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was being a little wry, mostly because my Greyjoy decks tend to give people fits. Greyjoy douchebaggery falls into three main categories:

--Unopposed challenges. Whether it's through Intimidate, or applying modifiers, or making it so the defender can't declare blockers, Greyjoy doesn't like to let you fight back all the time.

--Mill effects. Discarding cards off the top of the deck is almost as good as knocking them out of your hand, it just happens to be before you drew them, IMO

--Choke. Discarding or stealing resource production, stealing gold outright, or making you count less. A lot of Winter effects for Greyjoy fall into this camp.

It's good that you're reading the "First Tilt" articles, just bear in mind that A) they were written while the Ravens cycle was still OOP and going for ridiculous prices, B) Not every deck needs to be summer/winter and that's not where the winningest decks really are right now, and C) the designers really aren't supplying the Summer/Winter mechanics with much in the way of new material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of Greyjoy as chaotic neutral fighters, they would rather kill someoneafter the other party members have done most of the heavy lifting, never fight fair, and while everyone else it's trying to beat back the big monster they are likely to just walk around the battle and go for the door it was guarding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent 57 wrote:
Think of Greyjoy as chaotic neutral fighters, they would rather kill someoneafter the other party members have done most of the heavy lifting, never fight fair, and while everyone else it's trying to beat back the big monster they are likely to just walk around the battle and go for the door it was guarding.

Just curious on your opinion: between Greyjoy and Martell, which house tends to annoy the other players more? I mean that in the "we might have issues with our friendship after this match" sort of way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Agent 57 wrote:

Just curious on your opinion: between Greyjoy and Martell, which house tends to annoy the other players more? I mean that in the "we might have issues with our friendship after this match" sort of way?

All the houses have annoying archetypes (often control based) that can really grate on people's nerves. Nobody likes Lannister kneel (A friend of mine stopped playing because he couldn't figure out how to counter my kneel deck...). Greyjoy choke can be irritating (who likes being unable to spend any gold?). Martell's winning by losing subtheme and icon remove can completely shut down the challenge phase (what do you mean I can't declare challenges, win or lose you're going to benefit?!?). Targaryen has burn, Stark has murder and Bara has renown rush. All of these can seem overwhelming to a player on the first go but all are definitely beatable with experience and proper deckbuilding.

In my opinion Lannister, Greyjoy and Martell are the most annoying houses with Greyjoy choke being my least favourite to play against. In spite of that you can choose to build decktypes that aren't focussed around these tactics so it's never really an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

I think Martell when you get into the full deck customization. If we are talking just about the expansion then Greyjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.