Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Hinerman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand "Ammo per ton" for things like autocannons, and MGs, but for missiles I'm a little lost.

If I have a LRM 20 and 1 ton of ammo (6), does this mean I have a total of 7 "shots" with the LRM 20? So a total of 140 missiles? Or is it like an autocannon, where I'd have the 20 missiles the first shot then 6?

What page in the 4th ed. rules addresses this?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzMcDurgen wrote:
I understand "Ammo per ton" for things like autocannons, and MGs, but for missiles I'm a little lost.

If I have a LRM 20 and 1 ton of ammo (6), does this mean I have a total of 7 "shots" with the LRM 20? So a total of 140 missiles? Or is it like an autocannon, where I'd have the 20 missiles the first shot then 6?

What page in the 4th ed. rules addresses this?

Thanks.

Don't overcomplicate things - each ton of ammo (for any weapon) tells you haw many shots it has in parenthesis. A ton of LRM 20 ammo has 6 shots. If you have an LRM 20 and 1 ton of ammo, you have a total of 6 shots. The LRM 20 doesn't start with a flight of missiles in the launcher - no weapons that use ammo start "loaded" with a shot that doesn't come from ammo. (Note that One Shot weapons are totally different.)

For what its worth, each shot worth of LRM 20 ammo is 20 missiles, so each full slot is 120 missiles - this is really only important for ammo explosions. It may also matter during a campaign if you track ammo consumption. Remember that weapons cannot draw from the ammo bins for other weapons - an LRM 10 cannot grab 10 missiles from an LRM 20 Ammo slot under any circumstances.

I don't have a 4th ed rulebook near me for a page number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hinerman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That solves some issues.

Thanks for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzMcDurgen wrote:
Or is it like an autocannon, where I'd have the 20 missiles the first shot then 6?

Erm... I think you've got this wrong. An Autocannon 20 has every shot dealing 20 damage. A ton of AC ammo provides the Autocannon/20 with 5 shots.

The Autocannon itself is just the gun. It doesn't have any ammo included. You then have to devote extra slots and tonnage on the Mech to the ammo.

Interestingly, if a mech had two AC/20s, they can source appropriate ammo from anywhere on the mech: ammo is not specific to individual guns, just types of guns. So you could have 1 ton of AC/20 ammo (5 shots) feeding both those guns - you'd exhaust it in 3 rounds if you fired both every round, but you can do it!

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MerricB wrote:

Interestingly, if a mech had two AC/20s, they can source appropriate ammo from anywhere on the mech: ammo is not specific to individual guns, just types of guns. So you could have 1 ton of AC/20 ammo (6 shots) feeding both those guns - you'd exhaust it in 3 rounds if you fired both every round, but you can do it!

Cheers,
Merric

If I didn't have CASE protecting that ammo, I might wish the ammo was gone after 3 rounds! Ammo explosions are not fun.

Though in hindsight, if a mech is capable of having space for 2 AC/20s, it's not likely to be some scrawny light mech with meager armor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:
HeinzMcDurgen wrote:
Or is it like an autocannon, where I'd have the 20 missiles the first shot then 6?

Erm... I think you've got this wrong. An Autocannon 20 has every shot dealing 20 damage. A ton of AC ammo provides the Autocannon/20 with 6 shots.

The Autocannon itself is just the gun. It doesn't have any ammo included. You then have to devote extra slots and tonnage on the Mech to the ammo.

Interestingly, if a mech had two AC/20s, they can source appropriate ammo from anywhere on the mech: ammo is not specific to individual guns, just types of guns. So you could have 1 ton of AC/20 ammo (6 shots) feeding both those guns - you'd exhaust it in 3 rounds if you fired both every round, but you can do it!

Cheers,
Merric

So AC/20's have 6 shots/ton now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPNOR wrote:
MerricB wrote:
HeinzMcDurgen wrote:

Erm... I think you've got this wrong. An Autocannon 20 has every shot dealing 20 damage. A ton of AC ammo provides the Autocannon/20 with 6 shots.

Cheers,
Merric

So AC/20's have 6 shots/ton now?

I'm sure that was just a typo. AC/20 Ammo has 5 shots per ton (though LRM 20 Ammo has 6 shots per ton).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's a typo. Apologies!

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.