Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: I am getting the "have to buy another card game" itch again... please help. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may know the feeling, I just would like to buy yet another card game

I love simple, fast card games like:

Iliad
Loot
Thor
Battle for Hill 218
Battle Line
Court of the Medici
Scarab Lords
etc. etc. (see my geeklist)

Any card games you can recommend? Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
Avatar
mb
Yeah, I know the feeling

Maybe Jambo is worth checking ?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These might be 'your thing', but they're simple, and quick to play:

Give Me the Brain
Grass
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that Seven Dragons would be a must. Fun, quick game. I'd also recommend Poo. If you can get past the theme, the mechanics are good and it's fun. I have not played it, but I suspect the same from Nuts. Set is a good game, but closer to Memory than an actual card game. Wizard is like Rummy or Euchre with a super trump and a trash card. 5 Crowns is interesting too, and of course there are always Pit and Dutch Blitz.

I'll second Give Me the Brain. I see you have Bohnanza and Munchkin Zombies. Good games both, but you can't have too much Munchkin. I haven't played it yet, but I was given Lucca Citta and was told that it was quite good.

I'm rabbit trailing, but if you like little quick games, Piece O' Cake is pretty quick and interesting even though it's tiles and not cards, but it has a card game feel. There are a ton of simple dice games I could recommend, but I'll wait for you to ask for those if you're interested.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
We have a peanut butter cookie problem!
badge
Bert, what utter nonsense!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Jambo

Morels
San Juan
Race for the Galaxy
7 Wonders
The Bottle Imp
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Coloretto and Archaeology: The Card Game are ones I think you should look at.

Utopian Rummy is excellent PnP but is now commercially produced as Plato 3000.

If you can find them and after the learning curve (for different reasons) Hera and Zeus and Uruk: Wiege der Zivilisation are good options.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dwarf King
Queen's Necklace
Colossal Arena is another good choice
... all three are great!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kinsley
Australia
Kenthurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Chosen by Danny Henning (dan_hnnng) As a consolation prize with the highest tip of 280.00 from my G4GG giveaway getting to choose my avatar for 280 days - till 7/10/2013
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Poo: The Card Game < good fun not serious
NUTS! < better, little less on the nose
Kittens in a Blender < group I played all of these with had the most fun with this one
Mag·Blast (Third Edition) < john kovalic art is great (guy who illustrated munchkin)
Innovation < far more serious, good strategy, a little confusing at first, no pretty pictures
Star Fluxx < didn't enjoy, theme is space/sci-fi and covers a lot of different things which made me regret purchase as i didn't get the majority of the references
Zombie Fluxx < like this one as theme is consistent
Munchkin < like this one too + expansions 1,2,3
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kinsley
Australia
Kenthurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Chosen by Danny Henning (dan_hnnng) As a consolation prize with the highest tip of 280.00 from my G4GG giveaway getting to choose my avatar for 280 days - till 7/10/2013
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ckorfmann wrote:
I would say that Seven Dragons would be a must. Fun, quick game.


seen this one in store and the box didn't explain it enough to make me buy it, any more detailed explanation of play etc please?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My next cardgame is probably going to be Jambo, Yomi, Saboteur, or Gloom.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PK1988 wrote:
ckorfmann wrote:
I would say that Seven Dragons would be a must. Fun, quick game.


seen this one in store and the box didn't explain it enough to make me buy it, any more detailed explanation of play etc please?


It is the game of connections. Dragons are only the theme. Each player gets a goal (a specific dragon color). Each turn, a player draws a card, and plays a card on the table connecting the color of at least one of the dragons depicted to the same color dragon on one of the cards on the board (like Dominoes). There are also action cards that can make you trade or rotate goals, move or remove cards from the table, etc. Check out the Dice Tower review HERE.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kinsley
Australia
Kenthurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Chosen by Danny Henning (dan_hnnng) As a consolation prize with the highest tip of 280.00 from my G4GG giveaway getting to choose my avatar for 280 days - till 7/10/2013
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ckorfmann wrote:
PK1988 wrote:
ckorfmann wrote:
I would say that Seven Dragons would be a must. Fun, quick game.


seen this one in store and the box didn't explain it enough to make me buy it, any more detailed explanation of play etc please?


It is the game of connections. Dragons are only the theme. Each player gets a goal (a specific dragon color). Each turn, a player draws a card, and plays a card on the table connecting the color of at least one of the dragons depicted to the same color dragon on one of the cards on the board (like Dominoes). There are also action cards that can make you trade or rotate goals, move or remove cards from the table, etc. Check out the Dice Tower review HERE.


hey, thanks! i checked that out and it looks alright, some questions:
have you played it yourself?
was it enjoyable?
how many times have you played it?
would you play it again/keep playing it?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
If you like Battle Line, you'll love Haggis. Not saying one is better than the other, but they do scratch similar itches to me, only Haggis is playable with three and more portable/less real estate.

Innovation is a favorite. Love this game. Can go longer than an hour, though two experienced players shouldn't go beyond it.

Arena: Roma II is great. I own both it and Roma but am selling Roma. It's fun with Roma but I don't find I play it enough that it's so much better. I think I prefer drawing from the same deck. I did once play a game that took a very long time, though Usually it's over in 30 or less. Really good game.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I didnt look at your collection, so these may be a hit or a miss:

- sobek
- revolver the gunfighting game OR aliens this time its war
- tournay
- archaeology TCG
- biblios (I highly recommend this)
- carnival
- jaipur (I bet you already own this)
- For sale
- glory to rome (it may be not easy or fast like you want, learning curve is a lil high)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't there a powder for that?

QueesteGeest wrote:
You may know the feeling, I just would like to buy yet another card game

I love simple, fast card games like:

Iliad
Loot
Thor
Battle for Hill 218
Battle Line
Court of the Medici
Scarab Lords
etc. etc. (see my geeklist)

Any card games you can recommend? Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PK1988 wrote:
ckorfmann wrote:
PK1988 wrote:
ckorfmann wrote:
I would say that Seven Dragons would be a must. Fun, quick game.


seen this one in store and the box didn't explain it enough to make me buy it, any more detailed explanation of play etc please?


It is the game of connections. Dragons are only the theme. Each player gets a goal (a specific dragon color). Each turn, a player draws a card, and plays a card on the table connecting the color of at least one of the dragons depicted to the same color dragon on one of the cards on the board (like Dominoes). There are also action cards that can make you trade or rotate goals, move or remove cards from the table, etc. Check out the Dice Tower review HERE.


hey, thanks! i checked that out and it looks alright, some questions:
have you played it yourself?
was it enjoyable?
how many times have you played it?
would you play it again/keep playing it?

Thanks!


I have played it and I enjoy it quite a bit. It's a good filler game. It's one I like to get out if we're waiting to start something or just want a quick game. Purchase without fear. There is 'Shuffle Hands' promo card floating around out there too if you can find it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
Isn't there a powder for that?


Yes, but making it involves grinding up several Alpha edition MtG cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Soto
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just dumping some from my wishlist (I have not played any of these):

Hanabi
Famiglia
Felicity: The Cat in the Sack
Morels
Targi
Mamma Mia!
Hemloch
Condottiere
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had that many plays, but I think it has a lot of potential (with me) - Middle Kingdom
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I've really been enjoying the Lightning Series.
are the two I've played and highly recommend (there are three others in the series).

Quick, relatively easy to learn, intuitive and very intense.


Lightning Poland has the edge on out of the box playability, Lightning North Africa is more complex but provides a richer experience.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
I like Lifeboat and Oriente (card games with no board)

Both kind of aspire to be negotiation games though, and need 4+ players
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't had a chance to bring it to the table yet, but picked up Cold War: CIA vs KGB last week. Two-player semi-blackjack vibe with a little light bluffing. Seems to be quietly popular as a couples game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lewis
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mb
mundus novus is hands down the best little card game i have ever played. first of all it's beautiful. second it's replayable to all get out. the rules are not long but upon first read through they may seem a bit too complex. they're not. i liken it to READING the rules to euchre. 'what do you mean the jack of the same color but the opposite suit trumps eveything in the original suit?' dive in, give it a whirl, and this game will continue to unfold for you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
REPEAL THE 8TH
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Archaeology
+1 for Condottiere

TSCHAK! is worth tschecking out also!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Scotland (same designer as Court of the Medici) is worth checking out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.