Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Iagallo
United States
Rochdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im looking for the newest ruleset because all i have is a fire & steel rulebook.
Thanks!
Hoping to learn this asap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
The very first post of this thread has links to the most recent rules from Savage Shores.

You'll also find these three files to be very helpful:
The Pirate Code (FAQ)
Pirates Reference Diagrams
Pirates Master Keyword List
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Iagallo
United States
Rochdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I was starting to get overwhelmed with all the different rulebooks!

Thanks for all the useful links Woelf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Iagallo
United States
Rochdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think also what I found confusing is to why some of the older rulebooks don't show all of the factions, (Savage shores as well?) Isn't theyre corsairs & others?
Also, any tips for new players?
Thanks guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
WK was always trying to keep the rules short enough to fit on that small sheet, so they'd regularly swap things in and out depending on what actually appeared in any particular set. It got to be kind of a mess, because you'd need to have copies of several different rule sheets to cover everything.

The only that was ever permanently removed from the game was the "come about" move, starting the Barbary Coast set. Everything else remained in effect even if it wasn't listed in the most recent set.

I keep meaning to rewrite the whole thing into a single comprehensive set, but I haven't had time for that lately and don't foresee having time in the immediate future. A few others have tried it over the years too, but they usually ended up just being copy&paste efforts that didn't always take the FAQ fully into account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Iagallo
United States
Rochdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Come about" rule was turning 180 degrees instead of moving right? If you can't do that anymore, how would you effectively change directions now? thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goofiestbee wrote:
The "Come about" rule was turning 180 degrees instead of moving right? If you can't do that anymore, how would you effectively change directions now? thanks :)
You can turn almost 180° using the standard movement rules so it was mostly redundant. There are a handful of very specific (and exceptionally rare) situations where the come about could be needed, but the rule always ended up causing more confusion than it was worth so it was dropped.

Check out that reference diagrams file I linked above for more details on movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a rule problem : I don 't have any! I just bought some ships in a bargain without any rules so I need the core one and up, can you help me?

Ty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mailok wrote:
I have a rule problem : I don 't have any! I just bought some ships in a bargain without any rules so I need the core one and up, can you help me?

Ty
The second post up above has a link to a thread at another site (miniaturetrading.com), and at the bottom of the very first post there are scans of the last published rulebook, from Savage Shores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, downloaded them, but they start with a reference to some quickstart rules which, I think, are needed to fully understand the game, isn't it? For example, how movements are done? More detailed firing sequence? They seems so vague

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mailok wrote:
Yep, downloaded them, but they start with a reference to some quickstart rules which, I think, are needed to fully understand the game, isn't it? For example, how movements are done? More detailed firing sequence? They seems so vague
I forgot about those, but all of the important things in those illustrated rules can also be found in the Reference Diagrams file linked up above and/or is reiterated in the written rulebook so you shouldn't need it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a set on the old Wizkids site using the Internet Wayback Machine.

You'll have to copy&paste this entire string into your browser:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060708215322/http://www.wizkidsgames.com/pirates/article.asp?cid=39027

Find the section for "Rules" and grab the Quick-Start Rules PDF.

Don't bother with most of the other files there, since they're all way out-of-date - numerous things changed along the line, but the illustrated/quick-start rules remained pretty much the same all the way through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Kyle for your efforts !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.