Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: I just saw Catan for sale at Wal-Mart! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gallery version. $29.97 USD.

This is the first time I've seen this there. They appeared to be re-setting their entire toy section and there was a shelf space dedicated to this. They also had several Lego games (Heroica) on Clearance.

Could the stocking of more titles be far behind, a la Target? Is the "mainstreaming" of our hobby officially underway?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope not.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Cermak
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The "Gallery" edition is just the worst. I mistakenly picked up the Gallery edition from a Chicagoland area Toys R Us about 6 months ago, wrongly thinking it was the "Simply Catan" version (which is awesome). Luckily, I hadn't opened it before realizing my error and I returned it promptly!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wish they'd get the new summer legos in . . . same empty shelves in the whole dept for weeks now!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I hope not.


Yeah, my meeple shirt won't look hipster anymore.
16 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This may become a trend. Star Trek Catan will be released soon, sold exclusively through TARGET.

I always try to support local, independent game and book stores.

Want ST Catan. Torn about buying it from Target.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayumi_Hakase wrote:
This may become a trend. Star Trek Catan will be released soon, sold exclusively through TARGET.

I always try to support local, independent game and book stores.

Want ST Catan. Torn about buying it from Target.


Do your local indie game and book stores get any money if you don't buy it at Target?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I sell Catan Gallery for $0.02 cheaper. I love it when Walmart and friends sell something for the same price I do. Each time this happens, a couple dyed-in-the-wool Walmart fans see part of their world die.

OOB
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The title of this thread makes me think of Withnail and I.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that Target still had Settlers of Catan but was putting other titles like Zooloretto were on clearance. I hope that means that they will be getting in other comparable games rather than finding it was a huge mistake. I've never bought a game from Target but it does seem to be a barometer for the popularity of our games. I have mixed feelings about whether I should care or not. I mean, as long as I can play games does it really matter whether it ever becomes mainstream?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quirogal wrote:
I noticed that Target still had Settlers of Catan but was putting other titles like Zooloretto were on clearance. I hope that means that they will be getting in other comparable games rather than finding it was a huge mistake. I've never bought a game from Target but it does seem to be a barometer for the popularity of our games. I have mixed feelings about whether I should care or not. I mean, as long as I can play games does it really matter whether it ever becomes mainstream?


Target just recently made a deal with Geek and Sundry to start featuring games that appear on TableTop. It doesn't seem like they thought it was a mistake.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Ayumi_Hakase wrote:
This may become a trend. Star Trek Catan will be released soon, sold exclusively through TARGET.

I always try to support local, independent game and book stores.

Want ST Catan. Torn about buying it from Target.


Do your local indie game and book stores get any money if you don't buy it at Target?

Well, yes. If he didn't spend money at Target he would have that money to spend there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
Well, yes. If he didn't spend money at Target he would have that money to spend there.


They also aren't getting a game they want due to some self imposed reasons. Playing games is about playing the games you want to play. If you want to sit on a high horse and not shop at a place for some reason, knock yourself out. Just remember Target still makes millions regardless if you buy the game or not. You can still support your local choice far more than Target.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
matthean wrote:
They also aren't getting a game they want due to some self imposed reasons.

Sure, but some people place certain principles higher in priority than luxury goods. You and I may not, but it doesn't invalidate the choices of those who do.

Quote:
Playing games is about playing the games you want to play.

That's a tautology, and meaningless in this context.

Quote:
If you want to sit on a high horse and not shop at a place for some reason, knock yourself out. Just remember Target still makes millions regardless if you buy the game or not. You can still support your local choice far more than Target.

That's a strawman. Target "makes millions" because individual people choose to buy games (and other things) there. Individual people have to make individual decisions if they want that to change. One person is making just such an individual decision.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I think Catan is coming into it's own as a piece of Americana. ...and just like you would probably light a match and burn your FLGS down if you saw it carrying Nascar Monopoly, you need to understand that Target and Wal-Mart are going to find more games as 'mass-market'.

It's Catan's time, that's all. The better games are always going to be at your FLGS. Just be glad that when Christmas rolls around, you're going to sit down at the table with some battle-hardened Catan relatives who will REALLY give you a run for your money at something other than flipping the table in frustration when they land on free parking and win a boatload of cash.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you find Catan at Walmart you can easily find better games because you will search on-line for that new name "Mayfair" and find another world.
Once you find Monotony at Walmart you search on-line and find, uh, the
same classic junk.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
and just like you would probably light a match and burn your FLGS down if you saw it carrying Nascar Monopoly


Not only do I have Nascar monopoly, but other versions of Monopoly on my shelves are Transformers, Rudolf, Whooville, Dinosaur, and Three Stooges, and Pixar!
Why? Not to sell, but rather to serve as a bridge to people who see Monopoly as the only "real" boardgame. A few feet away sits Catan, Ticket To Ride, and Carcassonne.

The big box stores will periodically fiddle with trying out some designer games (I really do dislike that term, but people know what I mean), but will never do them justice. It can't hurt, however, and does not hurt my business at all (especially when Target puts Catan at $50 to offer a "sale" on it.

OOB
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
matthean wrote:
They also aren't getting a game they want due to some self imposed reasons.

Sure, but some people place certain principles higher in priority than luxury goods. You and I may not, but it doesn't invalidate the choices of those who do.

Quote:
Playing games is about playing the games you want to play.

That's a tautology, and meaningless in this context.

Quote:
If you want to sit on a high horse and not shop at a place for some reason, knock yourself out. Just remember Target still makes millions regardless if you buy the game or not. You can still support your local choice far more than Target.

That's a strawman. Target "makes millions" because individual people choose to buy games (and other things) there. Individual people have to make individual decisions if they want that to change. One person is making just such an individual decision.


I guess I just don't see why Target of all places is a hill worth dying on. At that point you pretty much have to not go to any franchise business. I'm sure there are numerous people like that, but I guess I don't "get" it. You avoid places because they essentially figured out a winning business model. Now, if we are talking getting pizza at Little Caesar's vs. the mom and pop shop on the corner, then I'm with you there.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Completely agree Matt.

Some local stores ARE better, but only because they offer a better experience (hardware and lumber stores come to mind), quality of products (pizza reference), or mainly go that extra mile for everyone in the store.

But gaming is a little different. In my experience gamer stores cater to there main customers, (MTG, Warhammer, etc. type gamers). They may offer a unique experience to those types of gamers, but to an everyday schmo like myself they offer a lot less help than say BBG does. If I ask you(associate) about a game you have in stock, show me an open copy, break out the box and play with me or show me a few rounds much like Vassel and the like do. This doesn't happen. If I have to go online to get this experience then of course I am going to stay online to find the lowest price.

Because nothing unique is offered to the "board gamer" we are left with simply pricing. If target or walmart or amazon have that value well then I'm getting it there.

Show me you care about my business as much as RPG and I would gladly spend my money with you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Show me you care about my business as much as RPG and I would gladly spend my money with you.


A lot of this may be region-dependant, but there are many stores around that do just that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athos
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers has sold over 25 million copies worldwide. It is hardly a niche game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.