Subject: Play Test vs Final Copy of the game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nerd In NY
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you "jonesing" for your copy of Andean Abyss, I offer the attached picture showing the play test copy versus the final copy of Andean Abyss. Yes I am bragging a little, my final copy set has been played twice and I have another game scheduled for this Tuesday night. I guess that is one of the benefits of play testing the game and having a friend going to WBC, I got my copy on August 5th. I hate having to miss WBC because of work but getting my Andean Abyss copy early has been some consolation.

I really like the new map versus the play test. Even though Joel Toppen did a great job on the Play test artwork, GMT and in this case Chechu Nieto managed to improve upon the layout with some nice touches. I like how the FARC guerrillas were moved to the upper right and the overflow areas were made larger. Also nice was the increase of pawns from 5 to 6 (the pawns are used to mark areas involved in your actions and really come in handy). Having the guerrillas embossed with a there symbol is very nice and very unlikely to wear out. Much better than stickers. The only aught I found on the new map is the color used to mark the initial setup of the AUC guerrillas, it is too close to the green used for the Cartels, but any confusion between the two can be resolved by checking the initial setup on page 14 of the Rulebook.

The playbook was another great surprise. If you've never played Andean Abyss before, I recommend starting there, not the rule book. Joel's Tutorial is nicely designed to work you through the rules in sections so by the time you finish going through it you should know all of the rules for a normal 4 player game.

In addition Joel Toppen wrote a guide to playing the various factions, under the title "Guide to COIN Operations" and "Role Summaries", worth reading through before, during or after your games, depending on whether you are a Boy Scout - "Be Prepared" a reactionary - "What do I do now?" or a Historian - "Why did I lose this game?" I tend to be all three!

For those of you who check out the attached picture, I should say this is not an advertisement for "Age of Steam" or "Pandemic" it is simply a recognition that I had to steal parts from those games to build my play test set, so I had to give up playing them for the duration. It is also a subtle statement to the Eurogaming crowd that "Andean Abyss" should not be feared. Yes, it does simulate real life history and not some make up world, but mechanics and concepts of the game will be fairly easy for most Eurogamers to grasp and I know they enjoy the game because I've played against them.

Speaking of history, Volko provided some great Historical notes, both in his Design Notes and in the Event Text and Background sections. As a fairly typical news watcher I tend to ignore much of what is going on elsewhere in the world. This game opened up my mind to the realization that there is a lot more about world events than the 30 seconds you hear on your nightly news. I will forever think of Columbia in a different light as a result of this game.

"Evil" John reporting from Syracuse, NY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report. Thanks for the glimpse and advice. Really looking ofrward to this arriving
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes thank you for sharing! I am really looking forward to getting my copy of AA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurtis Swekla
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what kind of playtime have you had so far? and with how many players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
nerdinmich wrote:
As a fairly typical news watcher I tend to ignore much of what is going on elsewhere in the world. This game opened up my mind to the realization that there is a lot more about world events than the 30 seconds you hear on your nightly news.

nerdinmich wrote:
I will forever think of Columbia in a different light as a result of this game.

Will you think of it as Colombia?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Vasquez
Colombia
Medellin
Antioquia
flag msg tools
100% Pure Colombian Geek
badge
Colombia is waiting for you, would you take the risk? (Video in my profile)
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
nerdinmich wrote:
As a fairly typical news watcher I tend to ignore much of what is going on elsewhere in the world. This game opened up my mind to the realization that there is a lot more about world events than the 30 seconds you hear on your nightly news.

nerdinmich wrote:
I will forever think of Columbia in a different light as a result of this game.

Will you think of it as Colombia?

w00t My post did work!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan F T
Colombia
Bogota
DC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nerdinmich wrote:

Speaking of history, Volko provided some great Historical notes, both in his Design Notes and in the Event Text and Background sections. As a fairly typical news watcher I tend to ignore much of what is going on elsewhere in the world. This game opened up my mind to the realization that there is a lot more about world events than the 30 seconds you hear on your nightly news. I will forever think of Columbia in a different light as a result of this game.

yes, it is Colombia...

This is exactly what Volko wanted regarding this game. Spread awareness. Thank you for doing such a great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi J F !! Great to see you around these parts of BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nerdinmich wrote:

"Evil" John reporting from Syracuse, NY

That's part of the reason I P500'ed the game shortly before shipping. It happened to coincide with another event that raised my interest in this time-period in Colombian history. I had a chance to sit down with a few people and talk to Colorado Rapids coach Oscar Pareja. He was a member of the Colombian National Soccer team in the 90's before he came to MLS. He was one of the players "invited" to Pablo Escobar's private prison to play soccer with him. Hearing him talk about growing up in colombia and knowing that he had been part of that group made me very interested in this game.

More on the game with Escobar:
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7958914/playing-soccer-pa...

(The ESPN 30 for 30 movie The Two Escobars also covers this event and the Colombian soccer world in general in the 90s, though Pareja is not one of the former players interviewed in the movie. Former Colorado Rapids Carlos Valderrama is interviewed.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.