Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: should i get this game? ( a gamer who have reservation on LOTR LCG) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked gaming, but however due to buzy schedule I can only afford short sessions of 1-2 hours/week. My main gaming partner is my girlfriend, and we liked all sort of games ( don't mind if it is confrontational).

We brought Lord of the Ring the LCG with several expansions. We enjoyed the game but really don't have the time and energy to optimize our deck and try out different combos. Don't get me wrong, we liked deck building games that are tactical e.g. Dominion, but LCG liked LOTR LCG or magic the gathering may not be out cup of tea.

So how is amdroid:netrunner compared to LOTR LCG? lots of deck building involved? or can we play it straight out of the box? Do we need to buy lots of expansions to enjoy the game?

many thanks guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I can tell, deck building in the core set is as far as you want it to be. You can just put the factionless cards with all the cards from one faction if you want and duke it out. Don't listen to these silly people about buying more than one set, especially if you're playing very casually. One set will do fine. If you Like it enough, you can always pick up an expansion when we get one.

Also, the game isn't actually out yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it *is* a deck building LCG, but it's also less card dependent than many other card games, like Magic or LotR. Netrunner manages this through a hefty dose of hidden information and bluffing. In essence, psychological games sometimes become more important than the details on the card ("can I convince/dissuade the runner from even attempting a run this round by making him think I've played some high level defenses - or maybe I did play those defenses, but does the runner know I can't pay for them 'cause I've earmarked these credits for something later," ect).

You can play out of the box, and since you're playing against another player and not a prescripted, randomized psuedo-AI (like in LotR), you aren't forced as readily into deck building... But Android: Netrunner without deck tuning (eventually) sounds like a boring game.

P.S. It's worth noting that you needn't buy expansions to get into deck tuning - faction cards can be mixed around. Also, many people played, and still play, the original Netrunner without having purchased any boosters. It plays well with a limited card pool. However, we still don't know all the cards in the core, so it's hard to say what flavor of game a single core will offer (longevity-wise, I mean). All evidence points ne in an optimistic direction, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool, this is what got me interested in the game too. I don't mind minor deck tuning, but for games like LOTR LCG you need massive deck building to win. I much prefer the psycological and buffing aspect of the game, then knowing and playing around with cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littlegorgor wrote:
cool, this is what got me interested in the game too. I don't mind minor deck tuning, but for games like LOTR LCG you need massive deck building to win. I much prefer the psycological and buffing aspect of the game, then knowing and playing around with cards.

Just look at it this way: Any game where you're facing a focused and tuned deck, built with a purpose, will demand intense deck building. Most games which emerge from a single core (Android:Netrunner included) keeps this curve to a minimum -- your opponents will be on a similar footing, hamstrung by the limitations of that very same core. The catch with LotR, however, is that the scenarios simulate sitting down with a stranger with an aggressively tuned deck. It would be like taking A:NR down to your local game shop and playing anybody who was willing to join the table -- after a few expansions, it would be like facing a highly rated scenario in LotR. Thankfully, in the ecosystem of just you and your lady friend, you can control this far easier.

The only real question is how much variety can you eke out of a single core, but with 4 Corp factions and 3 Runner factions, plus the ability to mix and match cards between factions, you might just have a hell of a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. What matters is that both players have decks which are tuned roughly the same amount. Whether it's a little or a lot, as long as they're on the same level you've got a fair game.

In LoTR you can't control how the "other guy" built his deck, which is why you're having a problem. He can't tune down, and you're not interested in spending the effort to tune up.

You shouldn't have any such problems in Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the instructions provide easy ways to get decks built straight out of the box, and minor tuning will be easy once you play. and since you are playing an opponent and not the game AI, you definitely dont NEED to tune decks much to win etc. the game is definitely fun in its base form.

you are the type of gamer this core set is targeted at in many ways. lots of folks are moaning about the card distribution in the box not having 3X of all cards, but its aimed at a "tuned" distribution for a better out-of-box experience for both casual and serious gamers alike. enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SIMON WRAY
Bermuda
Devonshire
Devonshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flamejuggler wrote:
the instructions provide easy ways to get decks built straight out of the box, and minor tuning will be easy once you play. and since you are playing an opponent and not the game AI, you definitely dont NEED to tune decks much to win etc. the game is definitely fun in its base form.

you are the type of gamer this core set is targeted at in many ways. lots of folks are moaning about the card distribution in the box not having 3X of all cards, but its aimed at a "tuned" distribution for a better out-of-box experience for both casual and serious gamers alike. enjoy!

QFT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.