Dan Simpson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I wasn’t expecting a win my first Shadow and flame play through, but that’s what happened! Solo even! Against the Balrog!! Freaking Balrog! I’ve never won an LOTR adventure on my first play through.

I made some immediate tweaks to my solog deck after looking at the new player cards. I added Elrond and Vilya, plus a few others. Man, what a difference Elrond and Vilya make! My spirit/lore deck was on fire…

Heroes: Elrond, Frodo and Glorfindel… Starting threat 25, reduced to 0… Lucky I took Frodo along this journey! His damage to threat conversion easily saved the day. He would soak damage from Durin’s Bane (and with Arwen +1 defense) would take at most 3 threat per turn. Throw in a few Elrond’s Councils and Gandalfs the threat dial was moving all kinds of back and forth.

Vilya came out early in the game, which is an awesome card. With Imladris Stargazer, you can set up all kinds of extraordinary card draw tactics. You know what card you will draw at the beginning of your turn, and you know what card you will draw (and can immediately play) with Vilya. Holy moly, I was putting all kinds of expensive cards into play with Vilya. Pop in a few high power cards-- Gandalf, Gildor, Asfaloth, etc. Man is that combo awesome! They might have nerfed Zigi in the latest FAQ, but this combo blows Zigi's resource generation away.

Henamarth Riversong peeked at the upcoming encounter cards so I could plan accordingly.

Most of the encounter cards landing in the staging area were goblins. Swordsman, drummers, rangers. With a few chump blockers, and Unexpected Courage on both Elrond and Glorfindel the goblins didn’t last long. At least through stage 2, the staging area never really became much of a problem. Durin's Bane's whip was awfully annoying though.

Right before I put the last four tokens on the quest, Henamarth spotted a Cave Troll... uh oh. The staging area alreday had a few Goblins, an Orc Drummer, Durin’s Bane and now a troll?? I thought I was done for. Threat was at 36 by that point.

Kicked off Stage 3 and quested like crazy. Lost a chump blocker to a Goblin Swordsman. Popped Gandalf into play and Durin’s Bane was reduced to 10 hit points. I had 10 characters on the table after the Trolls and Goblins took out some of my allies. Maybe enough to win? Next round Durin's bane was back up to 13. All I needed was 13 points worth of cards in my deck to win... I exhausted every single character I had to try and get one mighty push through. Death was coming for us should we fail. I drew 14 points worth of cards! Durin’s Bane fell!

I really wished I had kept track of the number of rounds and the play by play… I wasn’t expecting to win this at all, especially after the punishing defeats from Watcher in the Water and Foundation of Stone. I wish I knew what kind of score I could log.

Oh well, it was a good time. Man I love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I love this game - you never can predict the outcome and when you win unexpectedly it feels like you earned it.

Reading this makes me hope it arrives in the UK soon, unfortunately it won't be this week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
you said that you "exhausted every single character I ahd to try and get one mighty push through." Did you remember that you can only exhaust 3 characters and draw three cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 35 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
narsil0420 wrote:
you said that you "exhausted every single character I ahd to try and get one mighty push through." Did you remember that you can only exhaust 3 characters and draw three cards?

Looks like it's time to shuffle the cards once more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Simpson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 characters?! Oh man, I missed that. Ah well.

There's another opportunity for Imladris Stargazer to help set up the final three cards to push out Durin's Bane. Maybe I'll add in another Gildor or other higher cost cards...

Once more into the breach dear friends!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.