Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good day.
I‘ve some questions to see if I understood things correctly, concerning the various events. I know they are quite a few, but I presented them in the form of examples so as not to tire you. Any help is much appreciated.

I am the US player and:

1. I play “Alliance for Progress” (asterisked US event) during the Headline phase. The card text will take effect and then the card will be removed from the game.

2. I cannot play “U2 Incident” (asterisked USSR event) during the Headline phase, since it’s a USSR event.

3. I play “Salt Negotiations” (asterisked dual event) during the Headline phase. The card text will take effect and then the card will be removed from the game.

4. I play “Colonial Rear Guards” (non-asterisked US event) during the Headline phase. The card text will take effect and then the card will be discarded.

5. I cannot play “Che” (non-asterisked USSR event) during the Headline phase, since it’s a USSR event.

6. I play “Junta” (non-asterisked dual event) during the Headline phase. The card text will take effect and then the card will be discarded.

7. I play “Alliance for Progress” during my Action round for Operations. The card text will not take effect and the card will be discarded.

8. I play “Alliance for Progress” during my Action round for the event. The card text will take effect and the card will be removed from the game.

9. I play “U2 Incident” during my Action round for Operations. Being only a USSR card, the card text will take effect and the card will be discarded. The asterisk doesn’t count here, since the card was not used as an event but for Operations.

10. I cannot play “U2 Incident” as an event, since it’s a USSR event.

11. I play “Salt Negotiations” during my Action round for Operations. The card text will not take effect and the card will be discarded.

12. I play “Salt Negotiations” during my Action round for the event. The card text will take effect and the card will be removed from the game.

13. I play “Colonial Rear Guards” during my Action round for Operations. The card text will not take effect and the card will be discarded.

14. I play “Colonial Rear Guards” during my Action round for the event. The card text will take effect and the card will be discarded.

15. I play “Che” during my Action round for Operations. Being only a USSR card, the card text will take effect and the card will be discarded.

16. I cannot play “Che” as an event, since it’s a USSR event.

17. I play “Junta” during my Action round for Operations. The card text will not take effect and the card will be discarded.

18. I play “Junta” during my Action round for the event. The card text will take effect and the card will be discarded.

19. I play “Bear Trap” during my Action round for the event. The card text will take effect and the card will be removed from the game. Still, its effect will linger on till the USSR player manages to nullify it. I may keep the card next to the board (or its marker on the board) as a reminder, the card is considered removed from the game nonetheless.

20. I play “Shuttle Diplomacy” during my Action round for the event. The card text will take effect and the card will stay in front of me. When its effect triggers, it will go to the discard pile, possibly to be used again at a later stage.

21. Concerning “Bear Trap”, if I play it last during my Action round (a bad idea, I know it, but let’s say I do so) and the USSR player suffers no ill effects for the current round, still its effect carries on to the next round and the one after that and so on, till the USSR player manages to nullify it.

22. Concerning “Shuttle Diplomacy”, I take it that I do not get to choose between Middle East and Asia scoring to my benefit. Whichever of the above scoring cards comes first, triggers the event.

Am I correct to the above?

23. The “The card is discarded after US play of The China Card” part of the “Formosan Resolution” event baffles me. If the USSR player played the card for its Operations value and, consequently, the event took effect and then the card was put next to the board, no problems here. Everything went as expected. When I play the China Card, the FR will hit the discard pile. But if I, the US player, decided to use the card as an event, then shouldn’t it be removed from the game for being asterisked? How can it be discarded then after US play of the China card, since it’s already removed from play?

24. Are the coup attempts granted by “Che” considered free? “Junta” grants a free coup attempt, but specifically mentions it. “Che” has no such mention.

Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
1) yup.

2) wrong. But it's probably a bad plan.

3) see 1.

4) yup

5) still wrong

6) yesss

7) yup

8) yup

9) astriked cards still get removed even when you trigger them for your opponent.

10) Pretty sure you have to use some ops, yes (why wouldnt you!!)

11) yes

12) yes

13/14) yes

15/16) got it right

17/18) yup

19) bear traps never going back in the deck.

20) yes

21) bear trap goes on forever until it gets cancelled

22) ya

23) discarded means removed from play, and it's astriked so like all asteriked events, it's never going back in the deck.

24) if it doesn't say free, it's not free, iirc.

(The fact that I could answer these without any reading, and I think I got them right, means searching was probably your friend!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogetoorn
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmb
1. Correct.
2. Yes, you can. Nothing forbids you to play an opponent's event during the Headline phase. Sometimes it's even very good tactics.
3. Correct.
4. Correct.
5. Incorrect (see answer 2).
6. Correct.
7. Correct.
8. Correct.
9. Incorrect, the event text is used, so the card will disappear from the game, even when it's used for operations by the opponent.
10. Correct.
11. Correct.
12. Correct.
13. Correct
14. Correct.
15. Correct.
16. Correct.
17. Correct.
18. Correct.
19. Correct.
20. Correct.
21. First, it doesn't have to be a bad idea, especially because its effect carries on to the next round. Otherwise, correct. Note that the USSR player is only affected during Action Rounds. He's still able to play a headline under the “Bear Trap”.
22. Correct.
23. It's not important how the China Card is played by the US. At the moment he decides to use it, Formosan Resolution is cancelled and removed from the game (in fact it was already, only being put next to the board). However, if the China Card gets stolen (by Cultural Revolution), Formosan Resolution stays in effect. Formosan Resolution can never be discarded after being played as an event.
24. No, the coup attempts granted by “Che” are not free. You receive the normal amount of MOPs for the coups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
killy9999
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh god... Ok, let's begin with headlines:

Ad 1,3,4,6 Yes

Ad 2,5 No, you can play enemy events during headline. They will take effect and will be removed from game if asterisked.

Now action rounds:

Ad 7,8 Yes

Ad 9 No, the event will take effect and hence it will be removed from play. Asterisk counts, no matter who played the card

Ad 10, 16 Yes, you must choose Ops, but see previous answer. Note that you can choose whether the event comes first and then you use your ops or vice versa.

Ad 11,12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Yes

Ad 23 - Formosan Resolution is removed from game if it is played as an event (either by US or USSR). This card causes a permanent effect in the game (treating Taiwan as battleground). That effect is cancelled (i.e. Taiwan is NOT a battleground any more) when US plays The China Card.

Ad 24 - Good question. I guess that it's also free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bloggs
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm bored so I will answer too even though I think you have your answers already.

1. Correct! You will receive as many VP for each US controlled battleground country in Central and South America and then the card is removed.

2. No, you certainly can play your opponents events during headlines. In this case of U2 Incident it makes no sense (it's a 3op card, the event only gives a VP and is rather harmless, and it gives more opportunity for the USSR to use UN Intervention if he has it), but there are other circumstances you would do it. For example, as the US, you suspect the USSR has Independent Reds in his hand, but he has no influence in Romania, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, or Bulgaria. You headline Romanian Abdication and give him influence in Romania, which, if he plays Indep. Reds, he will now be forced to give you equal influence in that country rather than simply discard the card and obtain Romania via event later. Or for another straightforward example, if you are the USSR, you can submit Defectors as your headline and remove the card from your hand without losing a VP. An event must be playable to be used in the headline, however.

3. Yes.

4. Yes.

5. Wrong. The USSR will get to do the event text. Though possibly you might want to do this if at the moment you had no influence in any non-bg countries in those areas.

6. Yes.

7. Yes, the card is not removed from the game.

8. Yes!

9. No, if you play an opponent's card and the event is playable and the card has an asterisk, it takes effect and is then removed from the game as if the USSR had played it for the event.

10. You can, but the way you phrased it makes it sound like you think you can just play your opponent's card for the event with no ops. I don't think you can choose not to spend the ops. You must spend them.

11. Yes.

12. Yes, SALT Negotiations has an asterisk so it is removed from the game.

13. Yes.

14. Yes.

15. Yes, and you can choose if you want the event to happen first or if you would prefer to spend the ops first.

16. No, the event must happen when you play the card for ops, because it is a USSR event and you are playing as the US.

17. Yes. You must desperately need the ops someplace else to do this, though. It's a good event.

18. Yes.

19. Yes! Good idea.

20. Yes! It's rare for this to activate more than once, but it happens.

21. Yes, and this is not a bad idea at all. At the very least, it guarantees you will get the initiative in playing a card at the start of next turn. Let's say you play Bear Trap as the last Action Round event, then you headline Red Scare/Purge next turn. Now the USSR can only discard cards with a normal op value of 3 or 4 instead of only 2. He will, however, be able to play a headline card.

22. Yes. It is simply whichever comes first.

23. Formosa Resolution isn't discarded when the US plays the China Card, the card is already removed from the game, just the event is cancelled. I think this includes playing the China Card on the Space Race as well, but not if you play Nixon Plays the China Card or Ussuri River Skirmish for the events, nor if you play Cultural Revolution or the USSR plays it.

24. The coups are not free. The USSR will gain appropriate Military Ops for use of the coups. So, a maximum of five if he does both coups, or four if he is under the effect of Red Scare/Purge at the time. (Note also that a 'free' coup just means it does not grant Military Ops. If done on a battleground country, it still lowers the defcon.)

Hope this helps you. Enjoy Twilight Struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good day.

A question for you concerning Defectors:

It is the Headline phase, I am the Soviet player and I am certain that the American player has Defectors in hand. I decide to play an American event hoping that the American will use Defectors and cancel it.

Will the event be cancelled? I guess not, since, from what I understand, the "USSR Headline event" part in the D's text refers to the Red Star / partly Red Star events and not to events played by the USSR player in general. Am I correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It will be canceled.

"USSR Headline event" refers to the Headline event of the USSR player. A neutral event played by the USSR on the Headline would be canceled as well.

This is a risky, but sometimes worthwhile, gamble by the USSR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
azuredarkness wrote:
It will be canceled.

"USSR Headline event" refers to the Headline event of the USSR player. A neutral event played by the USSR on the Headline would be canceled as well.

This is a risky, but sometimes worthwhile, gamble by the USSR.

I hate it when I know they have defectors, and they know I have good events, and I do that and they don't play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.