Hide
12 Posts

Ghost Stories» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 Haunter icons on the board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
4tran A
msg tools
Is there a reason for 2 Haunter icons on the board? It seems that there are only 2 possible states:

1) on card at beginning of turn -> move to board
2) on board at beginning of turn -> haunt and move to card

The official rules for state #2 essentially say to move to other icon on board, haunt, then return to card. I fail to see how moving to this other icon makes any difference; it still haunts, and it still returns to card before end of the turn.

I could imagine this being used to make the game easier by making use of the extra slot:

1) on card at beginning of turn -> move to board A
2) on board A at beginning of turn -> move to board B
3) on board B at beginning of turn -> haunt and move to card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It certainly makes a convenient spot to stick Su-Ling if you're playing with White Moon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
4tran A
msg tools
We don't have the expansion pack; I assume the expansion pack makes use of the extra slot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this to be a great source of confusion when I started playing as well. There actually are three states, but where the confusion lies is that it goes two steps (first icon on the board → edge of the board → card) on the same turn, as explained on page 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4tran wrote:
Is there a reason for 2 Haunter icons on the board? It seems that there are only 2 possible states:

I don't think that's completely correct. If my memory serves, it should start on the first space of the board (farthest from the card). On first activation, it moves to the next spot (next to the card). On 2nd activation, it moves to the card, haunts a tile, and then moves back to the 1st spot all in one go. At least that's how I remember it, though this may have changed in later printings. But you're essentially right, there are only 2 states (so they will haunt on every other activation).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
But you're essentially right, there are only 2 states (so they will haunt on every other activation).

It probably makes more sense to say that there are 2 positions where you will end a turn. When the haunter moves from the 2nd position to the 3rd position, a tile gets hanuted and the haunter returns immediately to the 1st position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
4tran A
msg tools
I think we're in agreement with regards to the essential game mechanics.

Sphere wrote:

It probably makes more sense to say that there are 2 positions where you will end a turn. When the haunter moves from the 2nd position to the 3rd position, a tile gets hanuted and the haunter returns immediately to the 1st position.

My point remains that the "3rd position" is superfluous; if anything, moving the figure directly to the card makes it less likely to fall over when you clumsily try to flip over a village tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
4tran wrote:

My point remains that the "3rd position" is superfluous

I agree - it might have made more sense if the 3rd position had been in the centre of each tile, so that you land on the tile to flip it and move back to the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
4tran wrote:

My point remains that the "3rd position" is superfluous

I agree - it might have made more sense if the 3rd position had been in the centre of each tile, so that you land on the tile to flip it and move back to the card.

For a moment I had a vision of a haunter doing a backflip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
4tran wrote:

I don't think that's completely correct. If my memory serves, it should start on the first space of the board (farthest from the card). On first activation, it moves to the next spot (next to the card). On 2nd activation, it moves to the card, haunts a tile, and then moves back to the 1st spot all in one go. At least that's how I remember it, though this may have changed in later printings. But you're essentially right, there are only 2 states (so they will haunt on every other activation).

Nup, sorry Gawain, 4tran was right The new ghost arrives with the haunter already standing on the card. (Like it flew in on a magic carpet!) "Fast Haunters" immediately move "up" to the first stone when their ghost first arrives. (Source: memory & rules)

The second stone away from the card has the "haunt a tile" symbol.

I guess it does seem a bit odd to have the extra stone where the haunter only pauses briefly. However ...

* It keeps track of what the haunter is doing while you're flipping tiles etc.
* If you didn't have it, people would probably think the haunter would need to take an extra step if the first village tile in front of the haunter is already flipped.

Quote:

(they'd think that in this case too)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Apfel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HikariStarshine wrote:
It certainly makes a convenient spot to stick Su-Ling if you're playing with White Moon...

This is the #1 reason why having that spot is good.

(Although speaking of superfluous things and Su-Ling, I always thought the cardboard cutout of Su-Ling was rather pointless.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daedalus25 wrote:
(Although speaking of superfluous things and Su-Ling, I always thought the cardboard cutout of Su-Ling was rather pointless.)

The cardboard copy is just a reminder to the current player that he may place or move Su-Ling at the end of his turn. Su-Ling may already be out when an event that lets the Taoist move her occurs, in which case she stays where she for the rest of the turn (unless a Wu-Feng incarnation appears before her); then the player can decide whether to move her or not (unless Howling Ondine appears). Once that decision has been made, the player relinquishes the cardboard reminder.

It's a good aid for people who are either not used to the White Moon expansion, or who are absent-minded (like me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.