BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Influence my next purchase (solo/co-op) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
Hi

Here is a brief history of the games i have played, and what i thought of them. Based on this I am looking for users to make recommendations for my next purchase. I already have some games in mind (2 which i really like and 3 or 4 which i am unsure of) but want to see what else comes up.

I only play solo so please keep in mind that games must be co-op/solo. I also have limited play time. Really no more than 2 hours a night but 3 at a push. Once i have some recommendations i may do a poll and buy the winning game. But just recommendations for now. I have asked a similar question many months ago, but have played a lot more and know a lot more about games now.

1st game: Space Hulk - Death Angel

Pros:
Set-up and play within an hour
I like the theme
Intense

Cons:
limited replay value after c.100 plays (even with expansions)

2nd Game: Elder Sign

Pros:
I like the Large Cards and the Artwork

Cons:
Went off the theme pretty quick
Easy to win when you know how

3rd Game: Arkham Horror

Pros:
A pretty decent Board Game representation of a video game RPG

Cons:
Really feels too random (Clue Placement/Gate opening)
Takes ages to play (especially when rumour cards come in)
Takes ages to set up/tear down
Takes up my whole coffee table plus a bit more
Theme got boring after initial novelty wore off
I feel it needs expansions to improve - i do not have time or space for them

4th Game: World of Warcraft

Pros:
Character development/level-up system feels very immersive
Looks great on the table
Difficulty level is just right
Dice mechanics seem just right
Plenty of replayability

Cons:
Does also take a long time
Art/Flavour text is lacking compared some other games

5th Game:
Lord of the Rings LCG

Pros:
Excellent puzzle-y deck building mechanic
Great art
Theme is OK (regards Tolkein i am neutral)
Tons and Tons of replayability

Cons:
Expensive

6th Game:???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
D-Day Dice

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
Well, even though it's probably in my top 3, I'd steer clear of Gears of War: The Board Game with your limited play time, unless you want to play the first mission over and over.

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game is good if you don't mind a very random game that's not as involved as Arkham Horror. If you can get your hands on a few zip lock bags, the game can be set up in about five minutes and plays in maybe 30-40. On the BGG page for that, you can see A Lonesome Gamer Plays video series on it that will show you an entire game. It takes him a bit longer in the video than I tend to take, but he's explaining a lot of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of War: The Board Game is my solo/co-op go to game of late. I usually play two COGs (characters). It has some setup which admittedly took longer than the game play in a few plays of the second scenario which kicked my butt a few times (but it just allowed for a quick reset and a second or third play).

I see someone else recommended D-Day Dice which I've never played, but looks to be another good game meeting your criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Debien
Belgium
Roeselare
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While it's not as thematic as the games you've mentioned, I suggest you take a look at Onirim.

It's fun, easy to learn, and games take about 15-20 minutes. But if lack of theme is an issue, you might want to steer clear of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.